GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be? - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #766
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Any picture they chose would have caused a 'bias' claim.
She has 'crazy eyes' just like Ramona on New York Housewives.

Any picture? Even Ramona doesn't have crazy eyes 100 % of the time.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #767
Blue Crack Supplier

also, it's important to note that Michelle Bachman frequently lies gets her facts wrong. about everything. most especially history. like how the (blessed) "founding fathers" fought tirelessly to end slavery.

just utter lies.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #768
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
also, it's important to note that Michelle Bachman frequently lies gets her facts wrong. about everything. most especially history. like how the (blessed) "founding fathers" fought tirelessly to end slavery.

just utter lies.
That's fine and that's what she should be noted for. Not her crazy eyes. Ramona can't help her crazy eyes either, leave Ramona alone That was a generalized leave Ramona alone, you didn't post her crazy eyes.

I get it, that's the tea party narrative that surrounds her. But where are the crazy eyed rage filled migraine suffering portrayals of tea party men? When you look at it in an overall context like that blog I posted discusses, I think it might go beyond the tea party or any party at all.

Yes I know Tina Brown is the editor, I said that And women certainly do it to other women, often.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #769
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Quote:
well, the editor of Newsweek right now is Tina Brown ... but certainly women do this to other women.

i do find it a little cheap, yes, but it's not like it's out of step with the political narrative around her, or is solely tethered to her gender.
It's not the individual stuff that bothers me--I think some of it is funny. It's the pattern. And yeah, women do this to women. I'm not really looking at who is doing it. I'm looking at how easily it is accepted--like the marginalizing of any minority even when you make up half the population. See the limited range of adverse presentation. Watch the history of how a quality is presented when held (or perceived to be held) by a man and the difference n how it is presented for women. Watch how pervasive it is across the spectrum.

I'm not indiscriminate supporter of women. I see how other groups are marginaized. I don't react to every insult. I'm aware though of the ugliness of some things, the undercurrent that we live with in the same way you deal with the ugliness and undercurrent in things that affect you that I may gloss over. It always hits a little closer when it's your undercurrent.

My heart isn't breaking over Bachman. It is a little despairing over the larger picture.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #770
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
It's not the individual stuff that bothers me--I think some of it is funny. It's the pattern. And yeah, women do this to women. I'm not really looking at who is doing it. I'm looking at how easily it is accepted--like the marginalizing of any minority even when you make up half the population. See the limited range of adverse presentation. Watch the history of how a quality is presented when held (or perceived to be held) by a man and the difference n how it is presented for women. Watch how pervasive it is across the spectrum.

I'm not indiscriminate supporter of women. I see how other groups are marginalized. I don't react to every insult. I'm aware though of the ugliness of some things, the undercurrent that we live with in the same way you deal with the ugliness and undercurrent in things that affect you that I may gloss over. It always hits a little closer when it's your undercurrent.

My heart isn't breaking over Bachman. It is a little despairing over the larger picture.

That is so well said, so smart.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #771
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
It always hits a little closer when it's your undercurrent.

oh, absolutely. believe me, i certainly understand this.

my point is that it's not just about gender. it's that she's crazy (so says the general narrative), her gender is incidental to her craziness. certainly, we can view it in a historical context about crazy, shrill, irrational women (as opposed to bitches like Hillary), and i think that's an interesting way of looking at it, and is certainly how it can be understood.

my only point is that it's not Michell Bachman Is Crazy Because She's A Passionate Woman, it's that Michelle Bachman (a woman) Is Crazy. because there's ample evidence beyond her gender, though her gender is always going to be a part of it because, hey, it's her gender.

but do we not call anyone crazy *because* of their gender and are thusly playing into stereotypes and generalizations? serious question.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #772
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Oh, I think she might be batshit. It's just that gallery of photos we see whenever a woman might be a challenge, a threat--particularly to a guy. Would be interesting to see what the picture looks like if it were woman against woman. Would we get a little more nuance? We do have some nuance.

I think there is an unconscious bias of both men and women favoring the guy. I see it in myself, so I know what we are up against.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #773
cm
The Fly

I live in Michele Bachmann's district and have observed her for some time. I think she is either an egotistical liar or insane. The picture is her and if that infuriates some people it is because they simply don't know her.
Curt
Old 08-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #774
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
but do we not call anyone crazy *because* of their gender and are thusly playing into stereotypes and generalizations? serious question.
No-gender is not a free pass and she's not a "delicate flower". But in the historical context it's just less than fair, some of the treatment she is receiving. Just like it was for Hillary, Nancy Pelosi, and going back much longer before them. And way beyond politics.

Watch the history of how a quality is presented when held (or perceived to be held) by a man and the difference in how it is presented for women.

I think that is the key and it should just be kept in mind. That's all.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #775
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:11 PM
I guess a lot of sites are taking cheap shots at her
I found a site with a link to these unflattering pictures

Old 08-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #776
Blue Crack Addict

Are those from your I Michelle site?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #777
Blue Crack Addict

Are they good or less than flattering pictures?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #778
Blue Crack Addict

I think she looks very nice and they are flattering. Is that a trick question?

Are they in Newsweek?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #779
Blue Crack Addict

I think her eyes look a bit off.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #780
Blue Crack Addict

I think these are in Newsweek.

I found a link to a slideshow of them last night, can't find it now.

Again, I think most of them have her with the 'eyes'.