GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be? - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #601
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Calm down Rush-next week Mitt could say the earth is getting colder and humans have nothing to do with it. Depends upon the poll numbers I don't think Rush understands climate change.

Huffington Post

Last week, Mitt Romney rolled out his formal announcement about his presidential ambitions and was met with a torrent of criticism from fellow candidates, other non-candidates, outside groups, and failed Senate candidate Joe Miller, for some reason. For the most part, the internecine opposition has focused on the fact that Mitt Romney invented "Obamacare" in Massachusetts. But Romney's enjoying a break from all of that this week. Now everyone is mad at him for his position on climate change!

And what is that position? Well, it's pretty prosaic:

ROMNEY: "I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that," he told a crowd of about 200 at a town hall meeting in Manchester, New Hampshire.

"It's important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may be significant contributors."

Romney also said some rather ordinary things about energy efficiency:

ROMNEY: I also want to see us become more energy efficient. I’m told that we use almost twice as much energy per person as does a European, and more like three times as much as does a Japanese citizen. We could do a lot better. I’d like to see our vehicles, and our homes, and our systems of insulation and so forth become far more efficient. I believe that we have a role in trying to encourage that to happen.

As Mother Jones' Kate Sheppard points out, back in 2008, it was pretty ho-hum to hear a GOP candidate say stuff like this, but now, "conservatives have declared Romney's statement to be 'political suicide.'" Today's Washington Post contains much the same message:

So far, Romney’s reviews from the right are not positive. His views about climate change in particular put him at odds with many in his party’s base.

“Bye-bye, nomination,” Rush Limbaugh said Tuesday on his radio talk show after playing a clip of Romney’s climate remark. “Another one down. We’re in the midst here of discovering that this is all a hoax. The last year has established that the whole premise of man-made global warming is a hoax, and we still have presidential candidates that want to buy into it.”

Then came the Club for Growth, which issued a white paper criticizing Romney. “Governor Romney’s regulatory record as governor contains some flaws,” the report said, “including a significant one — his support of ‘global warming’ policies.”

Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #602
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Wire services reporting Newt's campaign higher-ups are all resigning

Maybe he has some dirty pix/tweets. Please God NO

Old 06-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #603
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Oh, Rush... my lovable butterball idiot
Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #604
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I am not going to be too proud of my state and who they choose as the top candidate.....Iowa used to be a pretty liberal state, but seems more and more we're turning into a Southern state in regards to social issues.

We elect a former Gov, and a majority of R's back to the state to try and fix the economy and all we talk about is gay marriage and guns.

I just don't understand why homosexuality is so fucking important when thousands of people don't have jobs. But it's this way on our nation's capital as well. Cut spending for programs that can help the poor, elderly, and minorities.....promote the Bible!
It must be something in the water because that is identical to MN.

(save having Dem. Gov. though, praise be)
Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #605
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
ROMNEY: I also want to see us become more energy efficient. I’m told that we use almost twice as much energy per person as does a European, and more like three times as much as does a Japanese citizen. We could do a lot better.

oh.

my.

GOD.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #606
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:42 PM
Well, that's only because all of Europe is living under Sharia Law and their freedoms - things like incandescent light bulbs - have been taken away from them by Muslims. Right?
Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #607
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 AM
I caught some of Romney on Piers Morgan - CNN

and he seemed pretty reasonable, I can see him getting a good share of independents. and the GOP will galvanize for anyone but Obama.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #608
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
and the GOP will galvanize for anyone but Obama.
Yes, they will galvanize, BUT will they head to the polls? Just look at 2004.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #609
Blue Crack Supplier

i think, as of right now, Romney is their best general election candidate. and i would be okay with that. he's not a lunatic like Palin or a manchild like Bush. he's an oil slick, sure, but there are worse things.

but it's getting through the primaries. and, gurrrl, Palin is going to go after himmmm ....
Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #610
Blue Crack Addict

The most important phrase there is "as of right now." Let's not forget how the presidential campaign irrevocably changed John McCain.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #611
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Eh, I don't think it changed him. I think it just washed away the glossy cover he'd managed to keep on earlier.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #612
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 AM
join the team to find dirt on Palin

Quote:
Over 24,000 e-mail messages to and from former Alaska governor Sarah Palin during her tenure as Alaska's governor will be released Friday. That's a lot of e-mail for us to review so we're looking for some help from Fix readers to analyze, contextualize, and research those e-mails right alongside Post reporters over the days following the release.
Help analyze the Palin e-mails - The Fix - The Washington Post
Old 06-13-2011, 01:51 AM   #613
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner El Guapo View Post
It'll be Rick Perry

Other names not mentioned yet, don't forget to consider Tim Pawlenty, Bobby Jindal and Jeb Bush.
After I made the mistake of predicting the candidate way too early and daily study of political landscape I have now come to the conclusion that you are right on the money here! If Perry decides to run he will be the nominee. This guy fits the "next Ronald Reagan" mantle that Republicans are so desperate for perfectly...and he's NOT Mormon!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #614
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Good. Then we can have weekly national prayers for Jesus to fix our economy rather than any real person(s) try.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #615
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
After I made the mistake of predicting the candidate way too early and daily study of political landscape I have now come to the conclusion that you are right on the money here! If Perry decides to run he will be the nominee. This guy fits the "next Ronald Reagan" mantle that Republicans are so desperate for perfectly...and he's NOT Mormon!!!
Will someone who actually spoke about secession be excepted by the GOP as a whole?

Will someone who spoke out against the stimulus and then turned around and used it to balance the state's budget be embraced by conservatives?

Will someone who signed a law that middle school girls get a controversial vaccine get supported by the sciene denying right?

We shall see

They will endorse his record on highest polluting state in the US. They probably like the fact that he more than likely executed an innocent man and then stepped in to stop the investigation. And he still supports anti-soddomy laws so he's got a lot of votes there...