GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be? - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #421
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:05 PM
Obviously I'm bummed.

This opens the door for Gov Perry of Texas I suppose, the only other governor with a long record of governing that matches his conservative rhetoric.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #422
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
This opens the door for Gov Perry of Texas I suppose, the only other governor with a long record of governing that matches his conservative rhetoric.
He's a corrupt asshole that's talked about seceeding, he wouldn't last one day in the national spotlight.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #423
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:05 AM
i think the smart conservatives are finding a near impossible path to election in 2012.

Mittens vs. Palin? the wonks vs. the fanatics? are there any wonks left in the GOP?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #424
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:05 AM
I am right this very moment reading 'Generation of Swine' - collection of Hunter S Thompson SF Examiner articles from the mid 80s, and Mitch Daniels as Reagan advisor (this from 1987) just popped up for a brief cameo: "He is a flimsy little yuppie who looks like something that got rejected at birth."
Old 05-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #425
Forum Moderator

Hmm, Daniels would've already been almost 40 and the father of several children by that point, which makes the "yuppie" label seem a bit odd. He is kinda known for being 'boring'-looking and lacking in charisma (often pokes fun at himself for that) so that much is unsurprising.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #426
Blue Crack Supplier

girlfriend gonna be RUNNING!!!!

Quote:
Rumors rampant Palin moving to Arizona
Published: May 22, 2011 at 3:05 PM
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., May 22 (UPI) -- Lawyers declined comment on an Arizona real estate transaction that could result in Alaska's Sarah Palin relocating to Scottsdale.

A $1.7 million cash deal closed on an 8,000-square-foot house in northern Scottsdale at about the same time chatter began in political circles that Palin was looking at the upscale Phoenix suburb as a potential base for a 2012 presidential run, The Arizona Republic reported Saturday.

Palin was the vice presidential running mate of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., in 2008 and, the Republic said, has also been mentioned as a potential candidate for the seat of retiring Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz. Palin's daughter, Bristol, recently bought a house in the Phoenix area.

The Phoenix newspaper said the transaction involved a limited liability company and was being handled by a law firm that refused to comment on whether or not it was working for Palin.

While Palin's camp has not commented, Democratic activists are already spreading the word among supporters as part of their fundraising efforts, the Republic said.

Rumors rampant Palin moving to Arizona - UPI.com

(or the Palins are looking for somewhere to winter)
Old 05-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #427
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:05 AM
If Palin runs, Republican National Committee will do this and start planning for 2016.

Palin is the only 2012 option besides Mittens who is a fundraising machine.

It's pretty obvious by now that neither the Democrats nor the Republicans will be doing anything to reform campaign finance, reduce the size of the military, or check in to see how the 4th Amendment is doing on life support these days thanks to 9/11. I guess I will be voting Obams solely on social issues alone.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:23 AM   #428
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
makes the "yuppie" label seem a bit odd.
He (Hunter S Thompson) is continually referring to George HW Bush as a 'yuppie' too, so I think it's more a general insult of his, regarding a particular class of Republican or ethics/general 80s Reagan-ish whatever.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #429
Blue Crack Addict

Wow-Mrs. Newt must have some nice rocks. Doesn't matter to me at all, not that I'd ever consider voting for him anyway.

WASHINGTON -- Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich defended the large debt he owed to the luxury jewelry store Tiffany & Co. in 2005 and 2006, saying he can spend his money as he pleases.

"We're private citizens," Gingrich said in an interview with Bob Schieffer on CBS's "Face the Nation" on Sunday. "I work very hard. We have a reasonably good income. I currently owe nothing except I owe one mortgage on a house that's a rental property in Wisconsin. Everything else is totally paid for. My home is paid for, my cars are paid for, we don't have a separate house. We don't do elaborate things."

Politico's Jake Sherman reported last week that financial disclosure forms filed with the U.S. House of Representatives show that in 2005 and 2006, Gingrich carried as much as $500,000 in debt on a "revolving charge account" with the jewelry store.

Gingrich's spokesman refused to comment when the news broke, but on Sunday, Gingrich said the debt was paid off "automatically" with "no interest."

"It's a normal way of doing business," he said in defense of what he called a "standard, low-interest account."

Gingrich refused to give more details on exactly what he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on at the store, saying the spending was his "private decision."

"I mean, you're running for president," insisted Schieffer. "You're going to be the guy in charge of the Treasury Department. It just sticks out like a sore thumb."

"I am debt-free," Gingrich said. "If the U.S. government were as debt-free as I am, everyone in America would be celebrating. I think I have proven I can manage money, as a small businessman -- I run four small businesses. They have been profitable; they have employed people. This is the opposite of the Obama model. So as a private citizen who has done well, I think I'm allowed to pick and choose what I prefer doing."
Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #430
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Palin is the only 2012 option besides Mittens who is a fundraising machine.

i'm now pretty confident that the plan is to run and come in a close second to Mittens -- blame him for bein' a mean ol' man and pickin' on her and makin' fun'a Trig, as well as the lamestream media for askin' all sortsa questions where they're just repeatin' things she said verbatim back to her -- so that she wins the hearts and minds of GOP-type PUMAs across red state America ... and then writes another colossal best-seller.

she doesn't actually want to work, does she? she hasn't done any policy legwork and shown to be any sort of quick study, has she? her children don't go on to college, they go on to reality shows, don't they?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #431
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:05 PM
I still laugh when people call him Mittens.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #432
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:05 AM
I saw Cain as he got into his Escalade and drove away this weekend from the park.

I sure hope that he picks a real ABLE VP to run with.

Actually, I pray that their last name is Abel and we can finally kiss the world goodbye in 2012 with a REEEEAAAL biblical apocalypse.

*cocks gun* i ain't nobody's keeper!! *pew pew*
Old 05-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #433
has a

I wouldn't count Bachmann out in the fundraising department.

I think she is the choice for the former Palin supporters who see Palin as the groundbreaker.

Bachmann rivals Obama in success among small donors | St. Cloud TIMES | sctimes.com

Quote:
Bachmann, already established as a prodigious fundraiser, collected $1.7 million in the first three months of this year, 75 percent of which came from donors who gave less than $200, according to an analysis by the Center for Responsive Politics. Her total was more than any other member of the House of Representatives except Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, the CRP reported.

“While Bachmann has not yet proven that she could scale up her fundraising capacity for the money needed to compete in a presidential rather than a congressional contest, her small-donor fundraising rate so far this year is higher than Obama’s — and exceeds that of the top Republican contenders four years ago,” the CRP said.

While Bachmann’s first-quarter, small-donor contributions percentage was an all-time high, Smart Politics noted, she raised more than 60 percent of her money from small donors in three of the four quarters in 2010 for her re-election campaign. Overall, Bachmann raised a record-setting $13.5 million during the two-year cycle.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #434
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:05 AM
I think she'd stand a better chance than Palin, only cause she's involved in politics and hasn't quit.

But she's just as big of an idiot and would be exposed just like Palin when the mean liberal media asks tough questions.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #435
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I think she'd stand a better chance than Palin, only cause she's involved in politics and hasn't quit.

But she's just as big of an idiot and would be exposed just like Palin when the mean liberal media asks tough questions.
I think it's amazing that she keeps the funds coming in DESPITE already looking so stupid.
Her big gaffes about NH and Massachusetts and America's founding?
But facts and teabag loyalists aren't the best of friends.