GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be? - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 AM   #181
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:01 PM
Oh, Rick Santorum, please do STFU. And go crack a few history books. And go buy yourself a working brain. Thanks.

On another note, in relation to the article MrsSpringsteen shared there, my only question at the moment is: is there any chance at all we can see an end to the cheesy titles for the sorts of political books mentioned there? Seriously.

Angela

Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
So, to summarize, Professor Santorum contends that the ancient Judeo-Christian teaching that all persons are endowed with equal rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness was the true and historical foundation for the Crusades. Except, it hadn't properly become part of the American national religion yet, which perhaps explains why the 'Judeo-Christian' Crusaders routinely slaughtered Jewish communities they encountered en route--apparently not realizing Jews actually shared their friendly intention of bringing these good tidings to the Muslim world, which unlike ours has a long and sorrowful history of slavery, imperial conquest, and clerical meddling in politics.
Better yet, they sacked their own Christian/Catholic cities and slaughtered the population and stole everything in sight. The siege of Zadar was an excellent example - the Croatian city was sacked because that's what Venice required in lieu for payment for warships and other supplies that the Venetians were producing.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #183
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Was that the Crusade where they wound up sacking Constantinople? Yeah they went pretty badly off-message with that one, even relatively speaking...

ETA--Yep Fourth Crusade, just looked it up.

Good times!

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #184
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Mike Huckabee: Natalie Portman Pregnancy Remarks Weren't An 'Attack'

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee released a statement Friday, attempting to explain comments he made earlier this week about Oscar-winning actress Natalie Portman "glamorizing" unwed pregnancy. According to Huckabee, the much-reported and largely criticized comments didn't constitute an "attack" or a "slam."

"In a recent media interview about my new book, A Simple Government, I discussed the first chapter, 'The Most Important Form of Government Is a Father, Mother, and Children,' " Huckabee said in the statement, according to Politico, referring to comments made in a radio interview Monday.

Huckabee then claimed that the controversial remarks that followed were made in response to a question about the pregnancy of Portman, who he called "extraordinary actor, very deserving of her recent Oscar." The potential 2012 Republican presidential candidate explained that he was "glad" Portman was planning to marry Benjamin Millepied, the father of her child, and that his comments weren't meant to be deprecating.

"However, contrary to what the Hollywood media reported, I did not 'slam' or 'attack' Natalie Portman, nor did I criticize the hardworking single mothers in our country," he said. "My comments were about the statistical reality that most single moms are very poor, under-educated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death. That's the story that we're not seeing, and it's unfortunate that society often glorifies and glamorizes the idea of having children out of wedlock."

During his interview Monday, Huckabee used Portman's situation to make a larger social commentary about single mothers.

"Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and never have health care. And that's the story that we're not seeing, and it's unfortunate that we glorify and glamorize the idea of out of children wedlock," he said. "You know, right now, 75 percent of black kids in this country are born out of wedlock. 61 percent of Hispanic kids -- across the board, 41 percent of all live births in America are out of wedlock births. And the cost of that is simply staggering."

The comments came amidst what many have considered a bad week for the presidential aspirant. Apart from recent remarks questioning Obama's childhood, the former governor also drew fire last month for comparing abortion to slavery.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #185
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

yet when bristol got pregnant that didn't "glamorise" it. huckabee is so out of touch with the real world. he just needs to shut up and keep his thoughts to himself.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #186
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Huckababy is an anti-semite.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:41 AM   #187
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:01 PM
I wonder how many centuries (decades?) until we have to move to reproductive licenses in the "civilized" world. As opposed to drowning kids you don't want, a la China.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #188
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:31 PM
it would be encouraging to see more secular conservatives running for office. Conservatism does have good points to make, I will admit, but in the United States the whole republican party seems a bit of a side-show these days.
Do people actually take seriously the idea of Palin being president?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #189
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstrap View Post
it would be encouraging to see more secular conservatives running for office. Conservatism does have good points to make, I will admit, but in the United States the whole republican party seems a bit of a side-show these days.
Absolutely! In fact I would actually consider voting for a conservative if they promised not to touch social issues, and weren't so g*ddamn backwards when it came to science.

I even thought for a brief period that Trump might actually be a good president, but now he's already started blabbing about social issues.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #190
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Absolutely! In fact I would actually consider voting for a conservative if they promised not to touch social issues, and weren't so g*ddamn backwards when it came to science.
GOD, yes. I would do a massive happy dance if one of those conservatives popped up.

Quote:
I even thought for a brief period that Trump might actually be a good president, but now he's already started blabbing about social issues.
Social issues stuff or not, I'm really not keen on the idea of him running for president. He bothers me.

Angela
Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #191
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Social issues stuff or not, I'm really not keen on the idea of him running for president. He bothers me.

Angela
But you have to admit he's brilliant with money, I just thought he just might be able to balance or at least get us on the right track to balancing the budget.

My only fear barring social issues is that he would favor big corporations too much and let them get away with anything.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #192
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
But you have to admit he's brilliant with money, I just thought he just might be able to balance or at least get us on the right track to balancing the budget.

My only fear barring social issues is that he would favor big corporations too much and let them get away with anything.
This is my concern. Yeah, he's clearly brilliant with money...but not in ways that I think would help people other than himself and his corporate buddies.

Plus, he's just always seemed like a bit of a tool to me. Course, if you're running for president, maybe that's a good quality to have.

Angela
Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #193
has a

Now's the time for a relative fiscal conservative and a social liberal/libertarian:

Jesse Ventura
(I'm only half kidding.)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #194
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Why would you think Trump is suited to - essentially - running the finances of the country? Just because he's made himself personally very wealthy? I think his real genius is in marketing, and little else. It's 90% a one track business too, and not that big. The CFO of a major, diverse, truly multinational, mega-corporation would have better and more relevant budget and juggling experience. Trump builds stuff, markets it very well, and sells it very successfully. And cleverly, on the side, he's found other avenues for marketing that same image and pumping a bit more cash in. Unless I'm completely missing some part of his story, that's about it?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #195
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
Why would you think Trump is suited to - essentially - running the finances of the country? Just because he's made himself personally very wealthy? I think his real genius is in marketing, and little else. It's 90% a one track business too, and not that big. The CFO of a major, diverse, truly multinational, mega-corporation would have better and more relevant budget and juggling experience. Trump builds stuff, markets it very well, and sells it very successfully. And cleverly, on the side, he's found other avenues for marketing that same image and pumping a bit more cash in. Unless I'm completely missing some part of his story, that's about it?
He's brought himself from meager means to billionaire, to in debt to billionaire again so I would say it takes a little more than marketing. Also, he's very particular and smart about who he surrounds himself with, and I think that's a BIG part of what makes a good president. Plus he has more than real estate and a tv show on his plate.