GOP lawmakers propose some rights for same-sex couples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
deep said:
that is one messed up story

what father would offer up his virgin daughters to be raped by a wild mob?

This is because they were family members, not guests. Since Lot's daughters were effectively his property, it was his right to offer his daughters as sex slaves, essentially. I presume the crowd had 50 silver shekels collectively, back in the days when polygamy was morally correct on top of it. :wink:

Melon

deep said:
and Lot was the rightous man that G-d spared?
Well, don't forget his daughters then turned around and "gang raped" him at the end of that same story, having gotten him drunk! :huh: :wink: The whole thing is an unflatteringly comic allegory of the origins of Israel's often-enemies, the Moabites and the Ammonites. And his daughters' absurd plotting, at least in the Hebrew ("How shall we find a man to lie with us, with our people destroyed and our father so old?") ties back structurally, at least in the Hebrew, with Sarah's scornful retort (to God) "As if such an old man as my husband would lie with me!" in the preceding chapter. Amost certainly, too, there is an implied vulgar joke here that Lot thus got what he deserved (nudge nudge, wink wink) for offering his daughters to the mob instead of his guests (who did also happen to be angels).

Irvine511 said:
*** irvine starts looking for secularist bible study classes so he can keep up in the future ***

Maybe I should start one someday when I move to a major urban center. I'd come up with quite an interesting reading list.

Melon

Abomb-baby said:

So much for "freeing your Mind":|

I should have explained. Focus on the Family is one of those "conservative" groups I really don't think are true conservatives. A true conservative is like Barry Goldwater, he wanted to keep the government out of both your pocketbook and your bedroom. FOTF, on the other hand, is meddling in the private affairs of U.S. citizens and I don't like this and I can't call them a "conservative" group without insulting every conservative in this forum .

Melon....ever get tired of explaining that story?

Verte thank you for clarifying....

and....

Nah....time for the kids...:wink:

melon said:

I do, but I'll keep on explaining it as needed.

Melon

And an interesting explanation it is.

I find your twist on this story interesting as:

1. No where else in Scripture does God demand death for “violation of an ancient Jewish hospitality custom”.

2. It ignores the prior verses in Genesis 13 and 18.

3. The plain language of Genesis 19, with the use of the Hebrew word “to know” (which is also used in Genesis 4 where referring to sexual relations.

I can understand why you take this route in interpretation; it just does appear to be the best interpretation given the body of Scripture.

In reading your posts over the years, I can recall only two things that you are willing to describe as sinful: lack of hospitality and incest.

Back
Top Bottom