Good Thoughts for Coretta Scott King

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I don't know if anyone here has heard of this, but I've been quite affected by this news about the widow of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coretta Scott King in Fair Condition

By ERRIN HAINES

ATLANTA - Coretta Scott King, the widow of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., was in fair condition after being hospitalized for an unspecified condition, officials said.

King, 78, went to an emergency room Tuesday morning and was resting comfortably later in the day, said Piedmont Hospital spokeswoman Diana Lewis.

Lewis would not elaborate on the reason for the hospitalization, but said King would spend the night at the hospital for observation.

Lewis said the King family was expected to release a statement Wednesday. Attempts to reach relatives by phone Tuesday weren't successful.

King has canceled some recent public appearances, raising concerns about her health.

At a ceremony paying tribute to the King family at the Georgia State Capitol on June 30, her son Martin Luther King III said his mother was "doing well" and was following doctor's orders to limit her activities. He refused to give additional details.

"I had a feeling, based on her cancellation of several events, that she wasn't doing well," state Rep. Tyrone Brooks, president of the Georgia Association of Black Elected Officials, said Tuesday. "I have been praying for Mrs. King every day and I urge Atlanta, Georgia, the nation and the world to pray for her."

The Rev. Joseph Lowery, former president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference which Martin Luther King Jr. helped found in 1957, said he planned to visit with the civil rights matriarch or her son after hearing the news about her health.

"She's a beloved figure. People all over the world will be praying for her," Lowery said. "She has been a brave and courageous widow and carried her status with dignity and with commitment to the cause."

The Alabama-born Coretta Scott was studying at the New England Conservatory of Music when a friend introduced her to King, a young Baptist minister working toward a Ph.D. at Boston University. They married in 1953 and had four children.

After his assassination in Memphis, Tenn., in 1968, she founded the Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change in Atlanta.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050817/ap_on_re_us/coretta_scott_king_9
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we put aside our various differences and STAR A THREAD OF LOVE AND PEACE for this TRULY MAGNIFICENT WOMAN?

I briefly met Mrs. King back in January 2004 in Atlanta and I was so impressed by her deep humanity, calm presence and beautiful smile.

I hope she recovers quickly to continue to do the magnificent work that she does.

Thank you very much, FYM.

http://www.thekingcenter.org :hug:

I saw Mrs. King speak at an MLK memorial breakfast many years ago. A very brave and inspiring woman. May she recover quickly.

Hey, Jamila, I haven't been online since yesterday afternoon.

I will certainly be praying for her....she's had just as much of an impact on the world post-MLK as she did when he was with us....

Thanks, everyone, sso far who have posted their good wishes for Mrs. King.

This is one of the times when we should rise above our differences JUST LIKE DR. KING WOULD HAVE WANTED us to do to wish a TRUE MOTHER OF THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT a quick recovery.

Blessings not just for those who kneel.:yes:

Thanks, Dreadsox, I hoped that you would post for her. :up:

News reports are beginning to infer that Mrs. King had a stroke yesterday. She's in fair condition right now so that's not the best news.

I know quite well about strokes - my mom is in a nursing home for the rest of her life due to two diabetic strokes she had ten years ago which paralyzed her entire body except her head and her right arm.

When Bono sings about a "Miracle Drug" I know what he means - I wished there was one for my mom.

LOVE AND PEACE....;)

Strokes are indeed awful, but a stroke can be a mild stroke. By that I mean a stroke that doesn't leave any damage. My mother had a stroke last summer and recovered fully. By the same token, they can be devastating and do awful things like make a person unable to speak and do other things. They can be fatal, of course. It's really scary when a loved one is having a stroke, you have no idea how bad the stroke it, you just know they're having a stroke. That was one of the scariest episodes of my life, trust me.

Evidently, Coretta had a few minor strokes earlier this year, but this one has left her in fair condition.

Let's hope that she can recover fully from it.:yes:

If anyone wants to read it, here's a link that to the report I did about my trip to the King Center in January 2004 to participate in the activities to honor Bono for his humanitarian work for Africa.

It has some very sweet and memorable exchanges between Bono and Mrs. King.:hug:

Back
Top Bottom