Good (Terrorism) vs. evil (Terrorism)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
NYTimes.com > Washington

U.S. Sees No Basis to Prosecute Iranian Opposition 'Terror' Group Being Held in Iraq

About 3,800 members of the group [Mujahedeen Khalq] are being held in de facto American custody in Camp Ashraf, about 60 miles northeast of Baghdad. The group remains on the United States terrorist list, though it is not known to have directed any terrorist acts toward the United States for 25 years. But it does stage attacks against Iran, which has demanded that the Iraqi government either prosecute its members or deport them to Iran.

Maj. Gen. Geoffrey D. Miller, the deputy commanding general in Iraq, said its members had been designated "protected persons"
Under the Fourth Geneva
Convention, which governs treatment of civilians in wartime, "protected persons" are those who fall under the control of an occupying power or a country involved in the conflict. Among the most significant rights they are granted are protection against collective punishment and against expulsion.

"A member of a terrorist organization is not necessarily a terrorist," a senior American official said. "To take action against somebody, you have to demonstrate that they have done something."

So please help me, that means just because someone is member of Al-Quaida it dosn't mean that he is a terrorist? Ok so "innocent until proven guilty".
So The administration will close Guantamo bay and send the "innocent until proven guilty" people all to a classical jail inside the US?

In Iran, a government spokesman, Abdollah Ramazanzadeh, said any American move to grant the People's Mujahedeen protected status would undermine the United States' claims to be fighting terrorist groups. "I hope those who claim they are combating terrorism prove the truth and confront the ones who have committed extensive crimes against the Iranian nation," he said.

A senior American official said the United States opposed Iran's request that members of the group be handed over for trial because "we have real questions about the fairness and transparency of justice" there.

Yes, Iran should make fair and transparent trials like the US does in Guantamo bay?

Do i see a mayor shift from the War against Terror to international Justice or is it the more obvious thing..
hypocrisy

Hypocrisy at it's best. This is why this whole "war" on terror is such a joke. Yes terrorism should be stopped, but we're going at it all wrong, the US is just using terrorism as a front. This is not some grand scheme to make this world a safer place, this administration is only looking after it's own interests.

Here's the new US-approved definition of terrorism:
An act of violence committed exclusively against the United States and/or it's interests. Depending on the strength of the alliance, acts of violence directed against American allies may or may not be considered terrorist acts.

The ultimate hypocracy. Excellent points, Klaus. :up:

What do you expect people to say? That backing terrorism is good, do you expect me to be unequivocal that whatever the USA does must be good? I am appauled at the backing of terrorist organizations, the only point I wish to make is that Terrorism is a form of Warfare, Violence to a Political End, perhaps the Good and Evil of such an action must be measured by the ideologies at play, Seeking to exterminate the West and establish a renewed Caliphate is bad hence Bad Terrorism, Seeking to topple a criminal regime such as the Mullahocracy may be a case of the ends justifing the means. I am not going to defend this action because it is usual US hypocracy but bear in mind the Iranians are backing terrorists within Iraq, perhaps the US is just returning the favour so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom