good news from Iraq!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[q]Maimed soldiers retraining to serve in another foreign field
From David Charter in Washington

JOEY BOZIK had no right to survive the blast that blew off both his legs and his right arm.

The landmine that maimed the young US Army sergeant made him one of the hidden statistics of the Iraq war — one of 400 amputees among nearly 16,000 US troops wounded since the invasion. Yet, despite his horrific injuries, Sergeant Bozik has joined the growing ranks of disabled veterans who are determined to fight for their country again.

Only this time the medals they dream of are gold.

The unprecedented number of troops who are returning from Iraq with missing limbs has given the US Paralympic Team an unexpected recruitment boost and the chance to become “unbeatable” at the next Games in Beijing in 2008. More than 60 potential recruits have already been identified in sports as varied as powerlifting, archery and table tennis.

John Register, a veteran of the Gulf War in 1990, who manages the US Paralympic Academy, said: “This has been a shot in the arm of the Paralympic movement and an immediate boost. The Paralympics is a huge motivating factor for injured service members. It exponentially increases the individual’s idea of what is possible.”

One name to watch is Kortney Clemons. The 25-year-old combat medic played football, basketball and baseball back in Mississippi. His right leg was blown off above the knee in a Baghdad backstreet in February while he was carrying a wounded comrade. Mr Clemons is aiming for the podium in powerlifting. “Sport allows us to know we might have bad days, just like anybody else, but we can continue to move on in life and still compete,” he said. “

You can’t get stuck in that rut, start feeling pity for yourself and let life pass you by.”

Ramon Guitard, 22, was trying to protect civilians on a Baghdad bus when his vehicle was hit by several explosives. He lost his right leg above the knee, had his left leg fused with a titanium rod, and a stroke later left him partially paralysed on his left side. He is a medal hopeful after recording 2 hrs 21 min in this year’s New York marathon. “It is all about continuing to find freedom outside of my injury,” he said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1900371,00.html

[/q]

Good to see these brave men haven't let their injuries get in the way of them doing great things with their lives.

Cheers to them. :up:

Wow - I dont want to sound really cruel here - but the only good news that seems to be reported about is that US soldiers who are brutally injured are a bonus for the Paralympic team?

Something is really out of whack here.

These men show us more about living and giving than we will ever know. To serve your country, fight for those who do not care, suffer injury, and then show resolve when many would give up (after life changing injury) is remarkable.

^ women, too.

i think what this story does is elucidate many different things -- from the absurd to the tragic to the heroic to the ironic.

it's all in how you look at it. there's no one way to read this story.

in the end, how you respond to this story is a commentary on you, not on the story, as edgeboy comment so aptly demonstrated. i'd love it if he'd tell the soldiers wounded, mentally or physically, who might not be so resiliant as these potential members of the US Paraolympic team to stop being crybabies. after all, it is a war, and Edgeboy knows the reality of war. doesn't he?

a little po-mo relativism for y'all.

"Those who do not care," that strikes me as unfair and uncalled for. I don't know anyone who doesn't care that American men and women are losing limbs and lives to this war. I do know plenty who would reject the notion that they're being fought for in any sense that justifies such losses as necessary, though how that might add up to "not caring" is beyond me.

I do admire the spirited way in which these young people are responding to their handicaps, though like anyone else with a handicap, I don't suppose they actually have the option to "give up." Perhaps you feel that rejecting this war's necessity renders one incapable of sincerely recognizing and honoring their willingness, as soldiers, to suffer for it. I don't.

yolland said:
"Those who do not care," that strikes me as unfair and uncalled for. I don't know anyone who doesn't care that American men and women are losing limbs and lives to this war. I do know plenty who would reject the notion that they're being fought for in any sense that justifies such losses as necessary, though how that might add up to "not caring" is beyond me.

I do admire the spirited way in which these young people are responding to their handicaps, though like anyone else with a handicap, I don't suppose they actually have the option to "give up." Perhaps you feel that rejecting this war's necessity renders one incapable of sincerely recognizing and honoring their willingness, as soldiers, to suffer for it. I don't.

Whether or not you know people who don't care about servicemen and women dying and being injured doesn't mean that there aren't people like that.

Those that don't care are obviously way out there. I'd see it as a good thing that you don't rub elbows with people like that.

nbcrusader said:
These men show us more about living and giving than we will ever know. To serve your country, fight for those who do not care, suffer injury, and then show resolve when many would give up (after life changing injury) is remarkable.

yolland's comment prompted a question: when you say "those who do not care" are you referring to the Iraqi people or some chimerical fantasy of American liberals?

Irvine511 said:
^ women, too.

i think what this story does is elucidate many different things -- from the absurd to the tragic to the heroic to the ironic.

it's all in how you look at it. there's no one way to read this story.

in the end, how you respond to this story is a commentary on you, not on the story, as edgeboy comment so aptly demonstrated. i'd love it if he'd tell the soldiers wounded, mentally or physically, who might not be so resiliant as these potential members of the US Paraolympic team to stop being crybabies. after all, it is a war, and Edgeboy knows the reality of war. doesn't he?

a little po-mo relativism for y'all.

I missed interprated the post,my bad. The soldiers in iraq are not
babies I respect them.

nbcrusader said:
:up:

Back
Top Bottom