Good news for Bush!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Job gains were fairly broad based, with employment growing in construction, manufacturing, professional and business services and education and health care. Those employment gains blunted job losses in retailing and government.

a 4.7 employment rate is good?

for who exactly?

i wouldn't feel safe if i was the one of five in one hundred who had a 7ob.

What, the States is only at 4.7 %?

Cmon now. Thats better than when they were with Reagan I think.

We´re at 5,1% and unemployment is on the rise all over the EU. The capitalists just don´t like to pay high wages, and the politicians got nothing more than a shrug for the people they represent (and fat subventions for you if you build new plants in Eastern Europe where work force is cheaper).

One of the most misleading statistics possible.

There is no qualative to the depreciation of the quality of jobs. for instance the manufacturing jobs that would pay $10-$15 (or more)/per hour are vaporizing, almost gone, while these same people take jobs for $7-10 (maybe less) hour. So there is a depreciation in middle class work forces, little doubt about this.

That's just the nature of the beast, I am not making an argument either way about the job market, my point is that the UE stats are shit.

Also, if you were laid off, from Ford Auto for example, and you collect UE benefits, you show up on these stats..if you don't have a job and aren't eligbile for benefits, you don't. That's my understanding anyhow.

It fluctuates also, it has very very little to do with Presidential politics, so while you can say it's good news for Bush, which is probably correct in a political sense, also it has almost nothing, and maybe nothing at all to do with his policies. It was also misleading for the Dems to attack the White HOuse because of the UE number alone, it was a bigger picture, obviously they couldn't articulate it well enough. I can;t either but I'm not a Dem or a leftist apologist, even if I am a self admitted social liberal libertarian.

The biggest factor towards Presidential politics/job growth and all the like is confidence in the market, in general. The job market plummeted after 9/11 because the confidence level was in the tank. It has gradually gotten better. For my money, I'd argue Pres. Bush has done very little to help reccesitate the job market and 4 1/2 years after the fact, the numbers are looking better. Has little to dowith the UE numbers, which as I said are misleading.

Trickle down bitches, I guess. That's just my view from the blue collar middle calss cheapseats.

Last edited:
The biggest factor towards Presidential politics/job growth and all the like is confidence in the market, in general. The job market plummeted after 9/11 because the confidence level was in the tank. It has gradually gotten better. For my money, I'd argue Pres. Bush has done very little to help reccesitate the job market and 4 1/2 years after the fact, the numbers are looking better. Has little to dowith the UE numbers, which as I said are misleading.

U2DMfan... what economic inidcators than should be looked at and should the unemployment rate be completely ignored? I believe it is a part of the whole picture. The confidence in the market has been alright or that is the impression I get when looking at the stock market (relatively strong) and the way people are spending. The housing bubble which everyone is harping on isn't a real bubble IMO and not the monster people should be worrying about as much. Tax revenue was higher and the deficit (although high) is manageable depending on what policies they continue to enact. Considering the extenuating circumstances (Katriana and 9/11), Bush has been a decent steward of the economy. Pretty frightening to say for some, but I don't think its a reach to think that.

I also don't think it would be too much to consider this "Kerry's" economy either.

Back
Top Bottom