Good books on spirituality/prayer/faith/etc. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2004, 09:19 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
We've been referring to these books lately:

Hard Sayings of the Bible, Walter Kaiser
Hrmm... Sounds very interesting. Does this have to do with misinterpretations of the Bible, and how we fail to relate the message to our own society? I'd like to learn a bit about it.

What did you think of it?

Old 11-24-2004, 07:43 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 03:27 PM
"The Cloister Walk" by Kathleen Norris

and

"Open Secrets" by Richard Lischer

Both are autobiographical and very well-written. They are both products of the authors' experiences of living in a religious community. They do a good job of plunging beneath the surface of Christianity's questions and traditions. Very insightful and redeeming.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:54 PM   #18
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Anything in the Madaleva Lectures series (from Notre Dame's Women and Spirituality).

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:21 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:27 PM
The Jesus I Never Knew changed my life and view on christianity. I know I've posted this a lot but it's because I wish someone would have emphasized how good it really is.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm sure you've heard of them, but they're good books*— "The Case for Christ" and "The Case for Faith" — both by Lee Strobel. The guy was a crime reporter for the Chicago Tribune for many years and he asked some great religious leaders and thinkers the toughest questions about Jesus and Christianity. They're very thorough, intriguing and eye-opening. C.S. Lewis is a good way to go too.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Oh, I just forgot my favorite book that everyone should read "Blue Like Jazz," by Donald Miller. It's tagline is "Nonreligious Thoughts On Christianity." It's truly brilliant. He's funny too. He talks about time he spent living with a group of hippies and one of his chapters is called "Penguin Sex." Good stuff.

I'm currently reading his new one, "Searching for God Knows What," and it's also really good, so far.

Check out www.bluelikejazz.com for more info.

peace
Old 12-15-2004, 01:35 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Ok, one more post. Check out www.relevantbooks.com. These guys break the mold. They have books that would be what you're looking for, then they have great books on U2's faith, Johnny Cash's faith and a hilarious book, "The Christian Survival Guide," that pokes fun at the Christian subculture and stuff. They also have "Understanding God's Will," and "The Revolutionary Communicator," which takes a look at how Christ delivered his teachings. I highly recommend this stuff to anyone.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:35 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

anything by Thich Nhat Hanh.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 01:27 PM
I know it's already been mentioned but it's well-worth mentioning again:

The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho and of course One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Happy Reading!
Old 12-15-2004, 03:29 PM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
I'm sure you've heard of them, but they're good books — "The Case for Christ" and "The Case for Faith" — both by Lee Strobel. The guy was a crime reporter for the Chicago Tribune for many years and he asked some great religious leaders and thinkers the toughest questions about Jesus and Christianity. They're very thorough, intriguing and eye-opening. C.S. Lewis is a good way to go too.
I second the Lee Strobel recommendation. He has quite a few more, these are good books for those looking for "proof".
Old 12-15-2004, 04:10 PM   #26
The Fly

Local Time: 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mildred
well i'm sure everyone's heard the story about bono supposedly recommending some phillip yancey book (what's so amazing about grace? is that the title?) to noel gallagher. so it seemed somewhat appropriate to bring this up in a discussion about spiritual books on a u2 message board.

my question is...does anyone else find that book as utterly pathetic as i do?

or maybe i'm just too much of a hardened cynic to appreaciate it.

thoughts?
Hey Mildred,
No I didn't find it pathetic...in fact I found it inspiring! Yancey has an amazing ability to tell stories, and a very gentle way of exposing the heart of an issue, and allowing the reader to draw his/her own conclusions. "What's so amazing about Grace" would have to be one of my all time favourite books and it does a very good job of revealing the failure of a simplistic view of spirituality and in particular fundamentalist Christianity. Frankly I don't see where you get the anti-gay thing?? Another good read by Yancey is the book "Rumours of another World" as well as the others mentioned... "The Jesus I never knew" and "The Bible Jesus Read".

Happy exploring!

P.S. I also second those who have suggested C.S. Lewis
Old 12-17-2004, 09:57 AM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Someone already mentioned The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis, but I've got to second that recommendation. If you've ever struggled with how a good God could allow so much evil and pain in the world (and you're willing to really engage your brain in exploring this question) it's an amazing read. That guy was so bemphing smart, and a great writer.

Another great book is Finding Faith, by Brian McLaren. He takes a very honest look at the search for spiritual connection. A couple of great chapters in that book: "Jesus Anonymous" and "Why is church the last place I look for help in my spiritual search?"

I'm a fan of buying books, but an even bigger fan of exchanging good books with friends so everybody doesn't have to drop $20 on something they've never read. I'd be glad to send one of these (or just about any other book on my shelf) to anybody in here, as long as you promise to:
1) read it
2) send it back to me eventually
Old 12-18-2004, 09:30 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:27 PM
Divinci Code is an interesting and engrossing read.
Im loving it.

I think LMPA suggested here a while back.

db9