good article about african aid by bill o reilly - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2005, 05:08 AM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
God has nothing to do with the friends i have in the Peace Corps. for you, or anyone, to label their 2 years of service as being "God's work" is to appropriate something for religion that they might not agree with.
wait a minute, who said that Peace Corps is God's work? (i skimmed so many I missed something). In fact, we are very strictly forbidden to proselytize or do anything that might give the impression that we are here representing ANY religion of any kind. Personal beliefs are all well and good, but being seen as an emissary of God when you are paid by the US government? Not cool.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:35 AM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4

wait a minute, who said that Peace Corps is God's work? (i skimmed so many I missed something). In fact, we are very strictly forbidden to proselytize or do anything that might give the impression that we are here representing ANY religion of any kind. Personal beliefs are all well and good, but being seen as an emissary of God when you are paid by the US government? Not cool.

the argument, as i understood it, was that i had said it was inappropriate for anyone to look at charitable actions -- be it Peace Corps, or Bono's efforts -- and claim that such actions are "God's work." Bill O'Reilly did this, and even though Bono would probably agree with him, i dont' think it's appropriate to do so.

i return to the analogy that 80s never responded to.

if he redecorated his living room, would it not be in appropriate for me to claim that he had done "great gay work"?

i think it would be. same applies for those who spend their lives in service. many people are motivated by religion, and it's perfectly acceptable to say, "i dig every well in the name of Jesus." that's fine. but for someone to look at the Peace Corps (or, say, Doctors Without Borders) and say, "they are doing the work of the Lord!" is, to me, inappropriate.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:48 AM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

ah, okay. I think I am tracking with you now. And I agree. What motivates an individual to do whatever he or she does, that is a personal thing. I can say that my religious beliefs DID affect my choice to join the Peace Corps, but I would not go so far as to say that the work volunteers do is God's work. In fact, I don't even think I would say that the work I do is "God's work" because that comes off as sounding pretty arrogant and assumptive. I haven't gotten a personal message from God giving me the right to say that, and I'm always very very nervous when people start saying things like "God told me to do this" or "this is God's will". How the hell do we know? We do our best to do what we think God would want and in the end we have to hope that it is enough.

Now on that note, I guess I'm gonna go home and do some gay work, cuz I am having dinner guests tonite and need to make my house purty and whip up a gourmet meal.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:55 AM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Now on that note, I guess I'm gonna go home and do some gay work, cuz I am having dinner guests tonite and need to make my house purty and whip up a gourmet meal.

may Oscar Wilde be with you.

in the name of Elton John, David Geffen, and Walt Whitman.

go and be fabulous.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:31 AM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i return to the analogy that 80s never responded to.

if he redecorated his living room, would it not be in appropriate for me to claim that he had done "great gay work"?

i think it would be. same applies for those who spend their lives in service. many people are motivated by religion, and it's perfectly acceptable to say, "i dig every well in the name of Jesus." that's fine. but for someone to look at the Peace Corps (or, say, Doctors Without Borders) and say, "they are doing the work of the Lord!" is, to me, inappropriate.
If you said that to me, I think my first recation would be to look at you with a confused look on my face and say "What the heck is gay work?"

If you said that to me in a one to one conversation, knowing that I believe homosexuality is wrong, yes, that would be inappropriate. However, if you didn't know my beliefs, it would be just a statement of the "fact" as you see it.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:33 AM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Okay then, drop the whole "official statement" angle, and tell me - as a Christian, don't you believe that any good work done to help someone is "God's work", whether it's your paid job or not?
Old 06-17-2005, 08:36 AM   #112
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

If you said that to me, I think my first recation would be to look at you with a confused look on my face and say "What the heck is gay work?"

If you said that to me in a one to one conversation, knowing that I believe homosexuality is wrong, yes, that would be inappropriate. However, if you didn't know my beliefs, it would be just a statement of the "fact" as you see it.

couldn't an atheist in the Peace Corps also say, "what the heck is God's work?"

it's as appropriate for me to label the redecoration of your living room as "gay" as it is for you to claim that all altruism is about "god."

you might see it that way, and i might see your redecoration that way, but what's inappropriate is to claim someone else's work through your own belief system.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:52 AM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Okay then, drop the whole "official statement" angle, and tell me - as a Christian, don't you believe that any good work done to help someone is "God's work", whether it's your paid job or not?
If you'd read my next post, it may have helped answer this question, but I'll try to rephrase. Myself, as a Christian, yes I hope that what I am doing is good and I hope it pleases God. But I wouldn't have the audacity to call it "God's work" because who knows...maybe what I think is good work will actually have a bad side? All I am saying is that I don't like putting words in God's mouth. I'll do my best and hope that the little bit of good I may contribute to the world will please God, but I'd rather leave the final analysis up to the Almighty. Maybe that sounds like a semantic difference, but it is an important one to me.