good article about african aid by bill o reilly - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine

No.

I don't believe they've found any evidence to implicate Kofi although yes his son was involved. The US also stymied any investigation into the scandal. It was convenience to help keep Sadaam contained and docile.

I'd say Vice President DICK Cheney is a gov't official as he was head of one of the US countries involved.

scarlet, Kofi tried to stymie the investigation but the US did not. The US was the main supporter of the investigation. By the time any news at all leaked out about the food for oil scandal, Saddam had long been out of power, so how can you say that the US stymied the investigation to help keep Saddam contained?

Dick Cheney was a top dog in Haliburton a long time ago. He is no longer employed by them.

Old 06-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #62
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
Yes sorry ,thanks
US corps - gov't same thing anymore
why because bush is president?

Old 06-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #63
The Fly

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by NYRangers78
im not sure..maybe in africa it should go to it because of the seriousness of the situation over there...

as for america? people who dont want to catch sexually transmitted diseases or unwanted pregnancy should practice abstinence. i dont see why in new york, my tax dollars should go to paying for condoms for people. if your grown up enough to wanna have sex so bad than you should be able to pay for condoms. money could be used on cops and firemen and teachers and other stuff, but isntead condoms are given out for free all over the place.
yeah right mate abstinence works! human nature is human nature! we could take that a step further! why use tax dollars to pay for healthcare for people who have heart disease as a result of being obese?
Old 06-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #64
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by nickypiemcg

yeah right mate abstinence works! human nature is human nature! we could take that a step further! why use tax dollars to pay for healthcare for people who have heart disease as a result of being obese?
if u werent being sarcastic, i might almost agree with you. but it depends on how they became obese. did they become obese by lying around all day and eating 20 big macs a day?
Old 06-12-2005, 05:07 PM   #65
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:08 PM
Quote:
im a 26 year old registered republican but i consider myself more independent than anything. the source im using is the article were discussing, the o reilly article.

ive watched the o reilly interview with bono and ive read the transcript...the impression i got was that bono was dissapointed with it and if o reilly is using facts about stuff that went wrong with live aid and the lack of organization than im assuming that what bono was mad about was that...im sure bono and all the others meant well, but it just didnt pan out help who it should have. and o reilly is not only giving his opinions, hes giving facts given to him by the charity watchdog group. charity navigator.

like i said before, people hates america, and hate bush, blah blah blah...but when they need money to fix problems or political pressure to be used upon some other country, its call that evil america to do all the dirty work and give all its money no strings attached.
26--okay. Thanks.

I think your view is terribly one-sided---which is to be expected from O'Reily. He's not serving you well. I asked about your sources because I thought you might have read books or taken a class or something on the issue. It's helpful to really understand global development, which is an impossibly complex thing.

Since you didn't answer my question about why Bono was disappointed in live aid (you seem to be using his disappointment as a way to write off an entire continent, which is why I'm concerned), I'll go for it. He was pissed, and rightly so, because all of the $$ they raised ended up back at the World Bank and IMF in the form of debt payments. That 's when he discovered that the global financial structure was the real cause of African poverty. (Does anyone have the link to that interview? I can't find it.... )

Never forget that corruption, whether at teh UN, the Pentagon or in Kinchasa, is a relationship. It's never one-sided.

Peace,
Cheryl
Old 06-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #66
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

26--okay. Thanks.

I think your view is terribly one-sided---which is to be expected from O'Reily. He's not serving you well. I asked about your sources because I thought you might have read books or taken a class or something on the issue. It's helpful to really understand global development, which is an impossibly complex thing.

Since you didn't answer my question about why Bono was disappointed in live aid (you seem to be using his disappointment as a way to write off an entire continent, which is why I'm concerned), I'll go for it. He was pissed, and rightly so, because all of the $$ they raised ended up back at the World Bank and IMF in the form of debt payments. That 's when he discovered that the global financial structure was the real cause of African poverty. (Does anyone have the link to that interview? I can't find it.... )

Never forget that corruption, whether at teh UN, the Pentagon or in Kinchasa, is a relationship. It's never one-sided.

Peace,
Cheryl
i thought i answered it by saying that bono was dissapointed that the money never got to where it needed to go because of lack of organization as far as african warlords gettting hold of the aid and using it for ransom and trades....i ahd forgotten about the debt part in the beginning but then i read the o reilly transcript and saw it..i havent written off an entire continent if anything i posted this article just to keep dialogue going and people talking...and i dont think the pentagon is corrupt while i think the UN is...thanks for the info though..
Old 06-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #67
The Fly

Quote:

if u werent being sarcastic, i might almost agree with you. but it depends on how they became obese. did they become obese by lying around all day and eating 20 big macs a day?
not exclusive to big macs, i hear the cheeseburgers are quite fattening too.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #68
War Child

Quote:

lol...
Old 06-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #69
War Child

Quote:

glasgow right..... you follow celtic or rangers ??
Old 06-12-2005, 08:17 PM   #70
War Child

Local Time: 01:08 AM
Quote:

glasgow right..... you follow celtic or rangers ??
Partick Thistle ? Queens Park ?
Old 06-13-2005, 03:46 AM   #71
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Partick Thistle ? Queens Park ?
I'm actually originally from Edinburgh so neither. I used to support Hearts (a team from Edinburgh) when I was young but now I just follow Scotland (though if you have seen them play recently you'll know they're not much of a team!) I can't be bothered with all the sectarianism in Glasgow (though if I had to choose I'd choose Rangers!)
Old 06-13-2005, 06:18 AM   #72
War Child

cool...im a big celtic supporter.....sucks o neill had to retire....i root for scotland when they arent playing america or ireland...
Old 06-13-2005, 07:14 AM   #73
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:08 PM
Quote:

i thought i answered it by saying that bono was dissapointed that the money never got to where it needed to go because of lack of organization as far as african warlords gettting hold of the aid and using it for ransom and trades....i ahd forgotten about the debt part in the beginning but then i read the o reilly transcript and saw it..i havent written off an entire continent if anything i posted this article just to keep dialogue going and people talking...and i dont think the pentagon is corrupt while i think the UN is...thanks for the info though..
Morning NY!

I wish I could find some links for ya, but my day is very tight. Check out O'Reily's website, actually, he might have the interview up. I'm sure some folks here have links to Bono's interviews on this topic--he's always very careful to incorporate both debt and trade issues, as well as *Western creditor* corruption. That's the thrust of his arguement, not a side point, so I was distress to see it, in my mind, misrepresented. It did indeed sound like you were arguing that because of corruption, we should do nothing. I'm glad to hear that I apparently misunderstood.

As for the article, I had planned to go thru it step by step to show where he's got his facts wrong, and still might later this evening. For now, let's just deal with the main point he ignored. He argues that the debt cancellatino $ has been wasted; the evidence suggests otherwise. For example, we know that schools and clinics have been built in Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, etc. We also know that a Bank report that came out last year verified that 100% (100%!!!!) of debt cancallation money has been used for development, and (this is important to me) none for military purposes. If Billy boy had done his research, he'd know that too.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #74
War Child

hey good morning.... thanks for the info...no way would i just say dont help africa or anything....i know people who say they love u2 but they cant stand bonos political activism and i reply by saying would they rather he be doing drugs or having sex with 50 hookers a night? ive actually even thought about sponsoring a child in africa through one of those programs...my sister used to do it. i forget which one she used..do u know of any reputable ones??
Old 06-13-2005, 08:49 AM   #75
War Child

Local Time: 01:08 AM
Quote:
hey good morning.... thanks for the info...no way would i just say dont help africa or anything....i know people who say they love u2 but they cant stand bonos political activism and i reply by saying would they rather he be doing drugs or having sex with 50 hookers a night? ive actually even thought about sponsoring a child in africa through one of those programs...my sister used to do it. i forget which one she used..do u know of any reputable ones??
better yet, buy 'em a cow

http://catalog.heifer.org/