good article about african aid by bill o reilly - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #46
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:10 AM
NYRangers, you're getting some very basic facts wrong, which leads me to two questions. 1. How old are you? No offense at all intended, but I'm curious. You sound very young, but you never can tell over the Net. 2. What are your *sources*? You haven't even attempted to cite any. LOL.

I'll start with one basic fact that you have wrong: Bono did indeed say Live Aid was not that he'd hoped, but do you know what reason he gave for that? If you did, I suspect you would not be attempting to support the arguement you've made.

To be topical, O'Reilly's article is a predictable mush of wrongness. I'll try to deal with him later if I have time.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Any time you think Bill O'Reilly can provide a factual and balanced viewpoint, especially on a complex situation like Africa's current challenges, how she got into them and how she can best get out of them, you know you got a problem.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

- Bill O'Reilly

That's all I can say.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

The UN is a convenient whipping boy for the neo-cons, as it takes the attention off their own corruption, stories about the UN get put out on Fox, and people like you yap them up, all the time shouting "USA, USA, USA".
Actually the oil-for-food corruption scandal (key player Kofi Annan's son, get the connection here?) has been well documented by every reputable news source.

I love how Euros, the creators of the problems in Africa via their rampant corrupt brutal colonialism, whine about wanting more US money, but they don't want the US actually involved in determing how it's distributed. They'd rather just give our money with no strings so that the unfair trading laws which benefit them and the corrupt leaders who will buy from them will continue to do so.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino
Actually the oil-for-food corruption scandal (key player Kofi Annan's son, get the connection here?) has been well documented by every reputable news source.

I love how Euros, the creators of the problems in Africa via their rampant corrupt brutal colonialism, whine about wanting more US money, but they don't want the US actually involved in determing how it's distributed. They'd rather just give our money with no strings so that the unfair trading laws which benefit them and the corrupt leaders who will buy from them will continue to do so.
Where in my post did I say there wasn't corruption in the UN? All I said that it is CONVENIENT for certain people that the UN corruption issue is being targeted AT PRESENT, and I stand by that statement.

And I'm Irish, my ancestors had no involvement in colonialism that I'm aware of. Even if they did, I wouldn't feel responsible for it.

Most European countries already give higher %'s of their budgets than the US, so your last point is moot.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #51
War Child

Local Time: 11:10 PM
im a 26 year old registered republican but i consider myself more independent than anything. the source im using is the article were discussing, the o reilly article.

ive watched the o reilly interview with bono and ive read the transcript...the impression i got was that bono was dissapointed with it and if o reilly is using facts about stuff that went wrong with live aid and the lack of organization than im assuming that what bono was mad about was that...im sure bono and all the others meant well, but it just didnt pan out help who it should have. and o reilly is not only giving his opinions, hes giving facts given to him by the charity watchdog group. charity navigator.

like i said before, people hates america, and hate bush, blah blah blah...but when they need money to fix problems or political pressure to be used upon some other country, its call that evil america to do all the dirty work and give all its money no strings attached.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine

The UN was not corrupt in the OforF it was member countries and their corporations, including the US.
You should rephrase that, if you are interested in accuracy. I'll rephrase it for you:

The UN's Kofi Annan is implicated in the Oil For Food Scandal in that his son was involved and Kofi tried to stop the investigation from proceeding. Government officials from some member countries were involved, but there has been no evidence or even accusation that any government official from the US was involved. There were also corporations involved, some US corporations amongst them.

There, is that what you meant to say?
Old 06-12-2005, 01:10 PM   #53
War Child

Quote:

Where in my post did I say there wasn't corruption in the UN? All I said that it is CONVENIENT for certain people that the UN corruption issue is being targeted AT PRESENT, and I stand by that statement.
Not only is it CONVENIENT it's also a WELL-PLACED and a VALID concern.

Quote:

And I'm Irish, my ancestors had no involvement in colonialism that I'm aware of. Even if they did, I wouldn't feel responsible for it.
"CONVENIENT"

Quote:

Most European countries already give higher %'s of their budgets than the US, so your last point is moot.
"moot" - To bring up as a subject for discussion or debate, to discuss or debate.

Yes, all the points here are indeed moot. Or are you falling into the typical American misuse of the word "moot" ? Convenient indeed.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:11 PM   #54
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You should rephrase that, if you are interested in accuracy. I'll rephrase it for you:

The UN's Kofi Annan is implicated in the Oil For Food Scandal in that his son was involved and Kofi tried to stop the investigation from proceeding. Government officials from some member countries were involved, but there has been no evidence or even accusation that any government official from the US was involved. There were also corporations involved, some US corporations amongst them.

Not convenient....

;-)
Old 06-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #55
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by NYRangers78
im a 26 year old registered republican but i consider myself more independent than anything. the source im using is the article were discussing, the o reilly article.

ive watched the o reilly interview with bono and ive read the transcript...the impression i got was that bono was dissapointed with it and if o reilly is using facts about stuff that went wrong with live aid and the lack of organization than im assuming that what bono was mad about was that...im sure bono and all the others meant well, but it just didnt pan out help who it should have. and o reilly is not only giving his opinions, hes giving facts given to him by the charity watchdog group. charity navigator.

like i said before, people hates america, and hate bush, blah blah blah...but when they need money to fix problems or political pressure to be used upon some other country, its call that evil america to do all the dirty work and give all its money no strings attached.
You still don't have your facts straight. The reason Bono alluded to Live Aid as a failure is that the amount of money it raised was nothing compared to what the problem needed.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:31 PM   #56
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
Any time you think Bill O'Reilly can provide a factual and balanced viewpoint, especially on a complex situation like Africa's current challenges, how she got into them and how she can best get out of them, you know you got a problem.
I used to think the same about Jesse Helms
Old 06-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #57
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You still don't have your facts straight. The reason Bono alluded to Live Aid as a failure is that the amount of money it raised was nothing compared to what the problem needed.
yeah because of the money africa owes to european countries on debts and everything, but i bet a lot of it has to with what o reilly is talking about with aid being stolen and people not getting what they needed because of all the corruption in africa and not just the debts.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:02 PM   #58
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

No.

I don't believe they've found any evidence to implicate Kofi although yes his son was involved. The US also stymied any investigation into the scandal. It was convenience to help keep Sadaam contained and docile.

I'd say Vice President DICK Cheney is a gov't official as he was head of one of the US countries involved.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #59
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine

No.

I don't believe they've found any evidence to implicate Kofi although yes his son was involved. The US also stymied any investigation into the scandal. It was convenience to help keep Sadaam contained and docile.

I'd say Vice President DICK Cheney is a gov't official as he was head of one of the US countries involved.
do u mean us corporations? and do u mean haliburton?
Old 06-12-2005, 02:51 PM   #60
New Yorker

Yes sorry ,thanks
US corps - gov't same thing anymore