Gonzales: going, going, gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good grief. How transparent is that?

Yes, you can question them. But they don't have to be honest in their answers. And nothing they say can be held against them.

Boy, what a deal! :|

Subpoenas :drool:

WASHINGTON (AP) - A House panel on Wednesday approved subpoenas for President Bush's political adviser, Karl Rove and other top White House aides, setting up a constitutional showdown over the firings of eight federal prosecutors.

By voice vote, the House Judiciary subcommittee on commercial and administrative law decided to compel the president's top aides to testify publicly and under oath about their roles in the firings.

Conservatives to Bush: Fire Gonzales
Monday, Apr. 16, 2007 By ADAM ZAGORIN/WASHINGTON

In what could prove an embarrassing new setback for embattled Attorney General Alberto Gonzales on the eve of his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, a group of influential conservatives and longtime Bush supporters has written a letter to the White House to call for his resignation.

The two-page letter, written on stationery of the American Freedom Agenda, a recently formed body designed to promote conservative legal principles, is blunt. Addressed to both Bush and Gonzales, it goes well beyond the U.S. attorneys controversy and details other alleged failings by Gonzales. "Mr. Gonzales has presided over an unprecedented crippling of the Constitution's time-honored checks and balances," it declares. "He has brought rule of law into disrepute, and debased honesty as the coin of the realm." Alluding to ongoing scandal, it notes: "He has engendered the suspicion that partisan politics trumps evenhanded law enforcement in the Department of Justice."

The letter concludes by saying, "Attorney General Gonzales has proven an unsuitable steward of the law and should resign for the good of the country... The President should accept the resignation, and set a standard to which the wise and honest might repair in nominating a successor..." It is the first public demand by a group of conservatives for Gonzales' firing. Signatories to the letter include Bruce Fein, a former senior official in the Reagan Justice Department, who has worked frequently with current Administration and the Republican National Committee to promote Bush's court nominees; David Keene, chairman of the influential American Conservative Union, one of the nation's oldest and largest grassroots conservative groups; Richard Viguerie, a well-known G.O.P. direct mail expert and fundraiser; and Bob Barr, the former Republican Congressman from Georgia and free speech advocate, as well as John Whitehead, head of the Rutherford Institute, a conservative non-profit active in fighting for what it calls religious freedoms.

Fein, speaking for the signatories, told TIME that Gonzales' planned testimony to Congress tomorrow, the text of which has been released by the Justice Department, was a "terrible disappointment" that left unanswered key questions on which his job may now depend. "Gonzales' testimony before the Judiciary Committee resorts to a truly Clintonesque defense of his own previous false statements," says Fein. "In fact," he says, "Gonzales' latest declarations really do call into question the forthrightness and honesty indispensable for America's chief law enforcement officer."

Signers of the letter says that it is also aimed at fellow Republicans — and especially G.O.P. members of Congress — whom they hope to encourage to call for the Attorney General's ouster, a step they argue is crucial to ending damage to the Department of Justice, as well as G.O.P. standing on Capitol Hill.

I don't know if any one is watching the C Span sessions

but this guy is not coming off well at all

it seems like some of the GOP are trying to throw him lifelines

but, they are coming up with different excuses for him

there are some GOP that are implying that he may be a decent guy
but, perhaps not the right man for this job

this guy is supposed to be the
cheif law enforcement officer in the country

and his best defense is

I have made mistakes

We did not do it right

It was poor judgement

and the often used

I don't recall (again and again, for incidents that were only a few weeks or months ago?)

Do we want an Alzheimer's patient for attornry general?

deep said:
this guy is supposed to be the
cheif law enforcement officer in the country

weeks or months ago?)

Do we want an Alzheimer's patient for attornry general?

No, only free spell check for Interference.Com premium members.
:angry:

"My misstatements were my mistakes, no one else's, and I accept complete and full responsibility here, as well. That said, I've always sought the truth in every aspect of my professional and personal life. This matter has been no exception. I never sought to mislead or deceive the Congress or the American people. To the contrary, I have been extremely forthcoming with information." said Gonzales.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2007/04/gonzales_gettin.html

Midterm U.S. Attorney Firings Rare

ASSOCIATED PRESS, April 19, 2007

WASHINGTON -- The controversy over the Bush administration's firings of eight U.S. attorneys in late 2006 and early 2007 has raised questions about how past Presidents have dealt with replacements of federal prosecutors during their tenures.

Bush's team has defended the dismissals in part by noting that both Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton replaced all 93 U.S. attorneys -- who are Presidential appointees -- at the start of their administrations, as is standard practice. However, midterm firings of multiple U.S. attorneys are unusual, as one of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' former top aides told White House and Justice Department officials in a private memo as he planned the ousters. Before the Bush administration, the Congressional Research Service found just 5 instances over 25 years in which U.S. attorneys were fired or resigned in the middle of a presidential term and before their 4-year tenures were up following reports of questionable conduct.

A Reagan-era prosecutor was fired and later convicted in federal court in connection with charges that he leaked confidential information. A Clinton appointee resigned over allegations he bit a topless dancer on the arm during a visit to an adult club following a loss in a big drug case. Another Clinton-appointed U.S. attorney resigned after being videotaped assaulting a TV reporter who was questioning him about recent decisions by his office.

There have been no allegations of such misconduct by any of the eight prosecutors forced out by Bush. Democrats charge that they were fired for political reasons. There is evidence that Bush's team was considering disloyalty to the president as a criterion for replacements. As he planned the ousters, Gonzales' aide noted that the vast majority of federal prosectors were ''loyal Bushies.''

you know, it's really very simple.

it doesn't matter if you're competent; if Dubya likes you, then that's all that matters.

[q]Gonzo's show a train wreck, but W likes him

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY JAMES GORDON MEEKand THOMAS M. DeFRANK
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Saturday, April 21st 2007, 4:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Email Suggest a Story
WASHINGTON - Alberto Gonzales' bumbling congressional testimony provoked quiet moans from the White House, but President Bush yesterday remained committed to his beleaguered attorney general.

"They were unhappy with his performance and embarrassed by it," said a Republican source with West Wing ties, "but for the moment, they're hanging in there, and he might survive."

Rep. Adam Putnam (R-Fla.), third-ranking House Republican, told CNN it was time for Gonzales to quit, a view also held by many Republican senators.

But deputy press secretary Dana Perino said Bush called Gonzales after returning from a trip to Ohio on Thursday in a fresh show of support for his longtime Texas friend.

"The attorney general continues to have the President's full confidence," Perino said. "He has done a fantastic job at the Department of Justice. He is our No. 1 crimefighter."

For a witness who claimed to have prepared intensively for Thursday's Senate hearing over fired U.S. attorneys, Gonzales had usually loyal Republicans sputtering over his evasiveness, memory loss and generally lame showing.

"It was awful," one top GOP source complained. "About the worst I've ever seen."

A colleague who often confers with the White House added, "He was inept, pathetic."

Justice Department officials taking the glass-half-full view wouldn't call their boss' showing a total fiasco, but "nobody's running around saying, 'We're safe,' either," an insider said.

Some Gonzales aides were relieved there was no smoking gun or gotcha moment, but "obviously it didn't go well," the source said, specifically citing the AG's damaging admission that he consulted with Bush political architect Karl Rove.

Despite Bush's embrace, Gonzales' future appears to hinge on whether key GOP senators who believe he has shredded his credibility go beyond the public spanking they gave him Thursday and demand his resignation.

A leading critic, Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), noted that while Gonzales' ability to run the Justice Department has been "severely undercut," he won't demand his scalp because "that is a decision for the President."

[/q]

loyalty is the most desireable quality.

heckuva job, Gonzo.

Well that makes sense.

If he was competent, he wouldn't fit in with this administration.

McCain: Gonzales should resign

GREENVILLE, S.C. Republican presidential contender John McCain says Attorney General Alberto Gonzales should leave because of the growing furor over the firings of eight federal prosecutors.
McCain said this morning in Greenville that the most loyal thing Gonzales could do for Bush would be to step down.

The Arizona Republican told C-N-N in a report aired last night that he was disappointed with Gonzales and the attorney general should step down.

CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts (AP) -- A small group of student protesters, including one wearing a black hood and an orange jumpsuit, heckled Attorney General Alberto Gonzales as he posed with old classmates Saturday during their 25-year Harvard Law School reunion.

"When the photographer was getting everybody set up and having people say 'cheese,' the protesters yelled: 'say torture, instead,' 'resign' and 'I don't recall,"' said Nate Ela, a protester and third-year student.

Law school spokesman Mike Armini said the impromptu protest was so small that some of those attending the photo shoot did not notice it.

Ela said the protesters followed Gonzales into the law school's library, chanting "shame" and "resign," before the attorney general's security detail took him to his motorcade.

Gonzales was at the university to deliver a lunchtime speech, a visit that was unannounced to students. But word spread quickly after his motorcade and security detail were spotted.

"The departure was clearly undignified," said Thomas Becker, a second-year law student who wore the black hood and orange jumpsuit during the protest. "He looked really annoyed."

A Department of Justice spokesman did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

[q]Bush Intervened in Dispute Over N.S.A. Eavesdropping

By DAVID JOHNSTON
WASHINGTON, May 15 — President Bush intervened in March 2004 to avert a crisis over the National Security Agency’s domestic eavesdropping program after Attorney General John Ashcroft, Director Robert S. Mueller III of the F.B.I. and other senior Justice Department aides all threatened to resign, a former deputy attorney general testified Tuesday.

Mr. Bush quelled the revolt over the program’s legality by allowing it to continue without Justice Department approval, also directing department officials to take the necessary steps to bring it into compliance with the law, according to Congressional testimony by the former deputy attorney general, James B. Comey.

Although a conflict over the program had been disclosed in The New York Times, Mr. Comey provided a fuller account of the 48-hour drama, including, for the first time, Mr. Bush’s role, the threatened resignations and a race as Mr. Comey hurried to Mr. Ashcroft’s hospital sickbed to intercept White House officials, who were pushing for approval of the N.S.A. program.

Describing the events as “the most difficult of my professional career,” Mr. Comey appeared before the Senate Judiciary Committee as part of its inquiry into the dismissal of federal prosecutors and the role of Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales. Several lawmakers wanted to examine Mr. Gonzales’s actions in the N.S.A. matter, when he was White House counsel, and cited them to buttress their case that he should resign.

Mr. Comey, the former No. 2 official in the Justice Department, said the crisis began when he refused to sign a presidential order reauthorizing the program, which allowed monitoring of international telephone calls and e-mail of people inside the United States who were suspected of having terrorist ties. He said he made his decision after the department’s Office of Legal Counsel, based on an extensive review, concluded that the program did not comply with the law. At the time, Mr. Comey was acting attorney general because Mr. Ashcroft had been hospitalized for emergency gall bladder surgery.

Mr. Comey would not describe the rationale for his refusal to approve the eavesdropping program, citing its classified nature. The N.S.A. program, which began soon after the Sept. 11 attacks and did not require court approval to listen in on the communications of Americans and others, provoked an outcry in Congress when it was disclosed in December 2005.

Mr. Comey said that on the evening of March 10, 2004, Mr. Gonzales and Andrew H. Card Jr., then Mr. Bush’s chief of staff, tried to bypass him by secretly visiting Mr. Ashcroft. Mr. Ashcroft was extremely ill and disoriented, Mr. Comey said, and his wife had forbidden any visitors.

Mr. Comey said that when a top aide to Mr. Ashcroft alerted him about the pending visit, he ordered his driver to rush him to George Washington University Hospital with emergency lights flashing and a siren blaring, to intercept the pair. They were seeking his signature because authority for the program was to expire the next day.

Mr. Comey said he phoned Mr. Mueller, who agreed to meet him at the hospital. Once there, Mr. Comey said he “literally ran up the stairs.” At his request, Mr. Mueller ordered the F.B.I. agents on Mr. Ashcroft’s security detail not to evict Mr. Comey from the room if Mr. Gonzales and Mr. Card objected to his presence.

Mr. Comey said he arrived first in the darkened room, in time to brief Mr. Ashcroft, who he said seemed barely conscious. Before Mr. Ashcroft became ill, Mr. Comey said the two men had talked and agreed that the program should not be renewed.

When the White House officials appeared minutes later, Mr. Gonzales began to explain to Mr. Ashcroft why they were there. Mr. Comey said Mr. Ashcroft rose weakly from his hospital bed, but in strong and unequivocal terms, refused to approve the eavesdropping program.

“I was angry,” Mr. Comey told the committee. “ I had just witnessed an effort to take advantage of a very sick man, who did not have the powers of the attorney general because they had been transferred to me. I thought he had conducted himself in a way that demonstrated a strength I had never seen before, but still I thought it was improper.”

Mr. Gonzales and Mr. Card quickly departed, but Mr. Comey said he soon got an angry phone call from Mr. Card, demanding that he come to the White House. Mr. Comey said he replied: “After what I just witnessed, I will not meet with you without a witness, and I intend that witness to be the solicitor general of the United States.”

Mr. Comey said he reached Theodore B. Olson, the solicitor general, at a dinner party. At the White House session, which included Mr. Olson, Mr. Gonzales, Mr. Comey and Mr. Card, the four officials discussed the impasse. Mr. Comey knew that other top officials, including Vice President Dick Cheney, wanted to continue the program.

Mr. Card expressed concern about mass resignations at the Justice Department, Mr. Comey said. He told the Senate panel that he prepared a letter of resignation and that David Ayres, Mr. Ashcroft’s chief of staff, asked him to delay delivering it so that Mr. Ashcroft could join him. Mr. Comey said Mr. Mueller was also prepared to quit.

The next morning, March 11, Mr. Comey went to the White House for a terrorism briefing. Afterward, he said Mr. Bush took him aside for a private 15-minute meeting in the president’s study, which Mr. Comey described as a “full exchange.”

At Mr. Comey’s urging, Mr. Bush also met with Mr. Mueller, who emerged to inform Mr. Comey that the president had authorized the changes in the program sought by the Justice Department.

“We had the president’s direction to do what we believed, what the Justice Department believed, was necessary to put this on a footing where we could certify to its legality,” Mr. Comey said. “And so we set out to do that and we did that.”

Mr. Comey said he signed the reauthorization in “two or three weeks.” It was unclear from his testimony what authority existed for the program while the changes were being made. Mr. Comey said he shelved his resignation plans that day when terrorists set off bombs on commuter trains in Madrid.

Mr. Comey left the Justice Department in August 2006, saying publicly that he had never intended to serve through the end of Mr. Bush’s second term. Privately, he has told friends that he grew weary of what he felt was increasing White House influence on the agency.[/q]

i mean, honestly, do these men have absolutely no shame? not even a little bit?

this is nearly unbelievable, it's so TV movie, i could only believe that the Bushies were capable of such a thing. only the Bushies, who have no respect for the rule of law and who see no reason for any sort of Congressional oversight or consultation.

and this was JOHN FUCKING ASHCROFT. do AG's come any more conservative? i suppose Gonzales, but that might give him too much credit for having a thought in his brain that hasn't come directly from Dear Leader Bush himself.

they do what they want. a dictatorship would be so much easier, especially when JOHN FUCKING ASHCROFT isn't conservative enough for you.

amazing.

I spent much of the afternoon extremely pissed off after reading about this, Irvine. This is the kind of villainy that should ruin political careers, and yet they carry on.

Comey's testimony is absolutely damning and should be front page news/headlines in every major news outlet, but it's not. The absolutely contempt this administration has for due process, the rule of law, and, in general, the very foundations upon which our country was built, is simply astonishing.

How fucking crooked do you have to be illegally authorize the continuation of a program that your own lawyers said (in so many words) is illegal??

from the Washington Post article on the same subject:
That Mr. Gonzales is now in charge of the department he tried to steamroll may be most disturbing of all.

Indeed.

Diemen said:
I spent much of the afternoon extremely pissed off after reading about this, Irvine. This is the kind of villainy that should ruin political careers, and yet they carry on.

Comey's testimony is absolutely damning and should be front page news/headlines in every major news outlet, but it's not. The absolutely contempt this administration has for due process, the rule of law, and, in general, the very foundations upon which our country was built, is simply astonishing.

How fucking crooked do you have to be illegally authorize the continuation of a program that your own lawyers said (in so many words) is illegal??

from the Washington Post article on the same subject:

Indeed.

waht i'm wondering is how these people still have jobs. seriously. there's no process to remove them? only the president can do that, right? are his approval ratings so low, he's in a second term, that whatever political damage a drooling toady like Gonzales might bring to the administration all comes out in the wash?

i did see Schumer, in the studio, on CNN this morning whilst flailing on the treadmill (the beach beckons, only a month away), recounting the gory details, and it was on Anderson Cooper last night ... but it continues to boggle the mind.

we're going to spend the next 20 years trying to undo the damage that's been done over the past 7.

An author on Spiegel Online speculated that Gonzales might know some uncomfortable things since he was responsible to create the legal basis for Bush's invasion into Iraq, secrep prisons, Guantanamo and so on. So maybe he has something in the backhand which keeps him from being fired.

On the other hand, thinking of how long it took to get rid of Rumsfeld, and now experienced with Wolfowitz, it seems that Bush just doesn't sack his people, doesn't matter what they did or how corrupt they are.

Vincent Vega said:
On the other hand, thinking of how long it took to get rid of Rumsfeld, and now experienced with Wolfowitz, it seems that Bush just doesn't sack his people, doesn't matter what they did or how corrupt they are.

that's really true. loyalty is more important than ability.

So depressing. Not much longer with these people. Too bad the damage has been done.

What bugs me is the thought that nothing will really change much with new leadership. Maybe they won't be as corrupt when it comes to our civil rights, but they'll be corrupt in other areas.

I will agree that anything is better than dubya...except for maybe J. Bush.

Back
Top Bottom