Going to protest Pres. Bush tomorrow - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 09:52 PM
That's stretching it a little, INDY. But BUSH=PINOCHET would be nice. In terms of making people "disappear", he has certainly proven a worthy disciple of the old rogue.

Personally, I'd settle for "King George The Third"....George II being the guy we fought to free ourselves from. If you'll remember.

Something else to put on a sign:

"You can fool some of the people some of the time
You can fool all of the people some of the time
But you can't fool ALL of the people ALL of the time"

--Lincoln

However, that might backfire, b/c

1) that would be too many words for Bush's brain to handle all at once as it would explode (which come to think of it wouldn't be a bad thing);
or
2) He'd forget Lincoln was a Republican.....if he even knew that at all....his actions don't prove he remembers, that's for sure....

And I doubt he even knows who Pinochet was, let alone from what country or even hemisphere. Again, his brain would explode.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:09 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:52 PM
Re: Going to protest Pres. Bush tomorrow

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
not just against Bush but also encouraging the House Dems to get some backbone.
the Dems need to stop being "Republicans-lite". Hopefully they'll get the message.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
Refugee

ntalwar, they won't unless we light a veritable fire under their behinds. They're a bunch of cowards. Trust me, I am a third-generation Dem and I know.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:52 PM
Quote:
That's stretching it a little, INDY.
http://images-partners.google.com/im.../bushitler.jpg

http://images-partners.google.com/im...s/march15e.jpg

Actually they've become de rigeur at these events.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Not to be snarkey Teta040, but it was actually King George the Third that the colonies excised themselves from.

So today's man would be George the Fourth I guess.

I agree with you otherwise.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #21
Refugee

Thanks Keiran...yep.

I have committed the cardinal sin of all Generation X sins:
I have forgotten my Schoolhouse Rock.

I didn't notice that until it was too late to edit. Just don't send me to The Bay for this one, will you?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #22
ET
The Fly

Local Time: 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tiny dancer
More power to you U2 democrat!!
Right on..represent those who wish they could be there...like me!!!
Protest away!! Scream and shout...this is still a country with free speech, isn't it??
And gee, who gives a rats you -know-what whether Saddam would let us do this...that's not relevant to what Bushy has done ..that's apples and oranges..
Thanks.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I bet there are plenty of Republicans who want to protest him too. You can see the guy for what and who he is and judge him on his words and actions regardless of party affiliation-or you can't. I have made my judgments about Bush through observation and thinking and evaluation of his actions-how I feel about him has nothing to do with being a Democrat. There are also plenty of Republicans who will defend the guy no matter what he does just because of that elephant thing..
I said I wanted to protest him myself, too, you know?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:14 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 07:52 AM
Re: Re: Re: Going to protest Pres. Bush tomorrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

Oh man, I remember how the news reported about his case last year this time around.
Still nothing happened?

Disgusting is'nt it!.............Even Oz forgot about him until recently (must have something to do with our media, you see , it's also in cohoots with the goverment and it's constiuents!) anyhow this is the (1) one topic that is currently making my blood boil now!............well with the up-coming federal election David hicks is everywhere....lets hope it does him some good..........members of Parliament begged Pelosi to do something........well something has happened.......new charges have been pressed........still it looks like he is not coming home for a while yet, if ever!!! The Bastards!!!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:56 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040

Though everyone who applauds our "freedom to protest" should note that in other countries, you probably don't need to apply for a permit to have a protest (could you see the democracy demonstators in East Germany or any city square in 1989 doing that? Would 1989 have been 1989?) , and other countries probably don't have "private property" laws where you can't hold a protest on privately owned property of any kind. Maybe in other places you do have to apply for a permit, but from the look of things, that can't be the case in
You need to get a permission here in Germany as well, when you want to march through the streets.
Otherwise there would be chaos because someone has to close the streets you are marching through.

And they don't want to have a march of three or whatever different groups through the same area of a city.
Like when there is the Loveparade here in Berlin, and they didn't have to get a permission, there would be three countermovements between Brandenburg Gate and Victory Column.
Or when the stupids, i.e. the Neonazis want to protest they have to get a permission for the date and the places they want to demonstrate. So it can be assured that they don't demonstrate in front of the Holocaust memorial.
Furthermore the countermovement of the left can be organized, and the police can prepare for the marches.

However, when people demonstrated on Mondays in 1989, they weren't allowed to do that. Honecker even asked his advisor why not to use tanks like the Chines did, or like the Soviets did on 1953-06-17.

They told him that it wouldn't help, because people were trained how to use tissues so that the driver of the tank can't see anymore, and they told him that times have changed and there was no backup by the Soviets.
Nevertheless, the demonstrators in East Germany put themself to danger, and they literally risked their lifes by protesting.
I don't think it is that bad in the USA, is it?

Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!

Disgusting is'nt it!.............Even Oz forgot about him until recently (must have something to do with our media, you see , it's also in cohoots with the goverment and it's constiuents!) anyhow this is the (1) one topic that is currently making my blood boil now!............well with the up-coming federal election David hicks is everywhere....lets hope it does him some good..........members of Parliament begged Pelosi to do something........well something has happened.......new charges have been pressed........still it looks like he is not coming home for a while yet, if ever!!! The Bastards!!!!!
It's always the same. As soon as a story doesn't generate money anymore, they let it drop immediately.

And the politicians are thankful because they don't have to act as if they were doing something anymore.
Except before the elections, because that's always good to bring up such a topic and promote how much the own party is going to intervene here.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I bet there are plenty of Republicans who want to protest him too. You can see the guy for what and who he is and judge him on his words and actions regardless of party affiliation-or you can't. I have made my judgments about Bush through observation and thinking and evaluation of his actions-how I feel about him has nothing to do with being a Democrat. There are also plenty of Republicans who will defend the guy no matter what he does just because of that elephant thing..
While I'm not happy with Bush right now, I have never regretted the 2 votes I cast for him. I thank God that he's in there instead of Gore or Kerry.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

While I'm not happy with Bush right now, I have never regretted the 2 votes I cast for him. I thank God that he's in there instead of Gore or Kerry.
Do you kinda wish you could have given your votes to some other Republican candidate though?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Do you kinda wish you could have given your votes to some other Republican candidate though?
Actually, I think I voted for someone else in the primaries in 200 or 2004. I don't remember who.

I would actually prefer a conservative from neither of the two major parties.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I'd love to protest Bush. That guy has done nothing to earn my respect. He's botched everything. No telling how long it will take to clean up the mess he's made of my country.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

It was a GREAT protest today

When we got there all I could think about was how happy I am to live in a country where we have the right do peacefully assemble

I ended up being about 100ft away from Bush as his motorcade went by (which was a somewhat surreal feeling for me), and we certainly let our presence be known.

As we lined up along the very busy Route 60, 99% of the people who drove by honked and gave us a thumbs up. I'll post pictures a little bit later. There was a lot of media there, so who knows maybe my picture will show up in some papers