Going to Africa: your suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can tell you lots about Namibia, but unfortunately nothing about East Africa.

Couple of pics:

n58015847_35751333_5832.jpg

n58015847_38349274_2012.jpg

That was 15 minutes after the birth. :)

Great pics!This really makes me want to see the elephants in the national parks.. have only planned 2 x one or two days for national parks though..Ngorongoro and Serengeti kind of too far off. Maybe I have 2 days in Uganda for the parks there, I absolutely want to see the lions. And then of course I will return and do West Africa as well.

As to Malarone I guess thats what I will take, lets see what the doc says.

Varitek said:

Re: Kampala - I was there 3 years ago from your trip, so I'm not sure how much help I can be, as there have been massive construction efforts since then.

If you like night life, Kampala has a lot of it - club Rouge is the only one I remember by name but I went to 2 or 3 night clubs that were cheap and a blast. If you want you can stay out til dawn. Some are in guide books. There are several incredible indian restaurants (I've never had better indian food outside of India) and my favorite was Handi or something like that, it began with an H and was more on the east side of the city than the other notable one. Nearby (also near the food court) there is also a really pleasant wireless cafe (!) with ice cream (!) and Sky sports network (!). That should cure the homesickness. For a less western atmosphere head to the crazy huge outdoor market where locals shop.

If you want to see colonialism, go up to Kololo and check out the huge houses that the ambassadors and others still live in.

I don't know what your budget is but if it is similar to my travel budget and you are interested in hostels, Red Chili's is fabulous. They are a little out of the way in Kampala but have decent food and cheap rates and good company. They also run the most affordable mini-safari ever to the big national park in the north. It's 3 days and 3 years ago it was $130 bucks, includes accomodation and transportation and entry fees, but not food. It was pretty amazing, we saw most of the big 5 game, chimps, and did a nile cruise in 3 days!

Also a really cool thing to do in Uganda is head to Jinja (maybe 2 hours from Kampala, and the companies do pick-up if you want) for white water rafting on the Nile. This was such a crazy rush and totally scary and amazing at times, and other times the water was flat and we hopped out of the raft and just drifted down the Nile past all the birds and stuff. Crazy! It was $100 3 years ago for the whole day including a great lunch, I went with the western-run company (there are 2 others) because they have bigger rafts and I figured they'd be more accuontable for safety. Rafting the Nile is one of my favorite memories ever.

Interesting :up:

Thought of Jinja but only 4/5 days in Uganda, 2 for Kampala, 2/3 for Mini Safari?

Have heard that Kampala is relatively safe compared to i.e. Nairobi (where I will not go out at night).

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

U2dem, if you make it in politics it´s your duty to raise the U.S. foreign aid budget to a minimum of 5% of the GDP!

We'll really have to change the mindset of people. In a mock congress in DC two years in a row I proposed a bill changing it to 3%, which is up from its current position of 1%, and both times it failed :angry:

U2democrat said:

We'll really have to change the mindset of people. In a mock congress in DC two years in a row I proposed a bill changing it to 3%, which is up from its current position of 1%, and both times it failed :angry:

I think it is great you proposed it. Don´t give up! If they hear this every year and you gain enough support, they will have to consider it!

Babydoll said:
Kampala and Nairobi aren't as dangerous as Jo'burg, South Africa.

:yikes:

That may be true. People say Kampala is safe. Have heard bad things about security in Nairobi, so I´ll only go by taxi there ;)

No from TZ to Nairobi we will take the white Rolls Royce :lol:

btw I wanted to explain, no I did not mean a taxi from TZ to Nairobi; we will take a bus for this route. (no white Rolls Royce ;)

I mean for going around in Nairobi, from a museum to universtiy for example, to move around in the city of Nairobi we will take taxis.

I will not be able to take any photos.

My dad is ill and will have a serious operation in January, it makes no sense to go to Africa in February.

We already bought plane tix but will have to return them.

If you feel like it, pray for my dad.

:sad:

My dad is ill and will have a serious operation in January, it makes no sense to go to Africa in February.

I'm so sorry to here about your trip and your dad. I'll say a prayer for all of you. :pray:

So sorry to hear that hiphop. :( Prayers for your dad and family. I hope he has a quick and thorough recovery.

Babydoll said:
BTW - lions and elephants are ONLY in protected national parks areas, they don't run around on the streets.

Haha, thank you. I'm so bloody tired of people asking me if I had lions in my back garden. SOUTH AFRICA IS MORE TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED THAN SOME PLACES IN CANADA. I've seen more wildlife in Canada than I ever did back home!

I'm also bloody tired of people asking me whether or not I lived in a mud hut. I just stare at them and inquire whether or not they live in igloos. Usually shuts them up.

Sorry to hear that hiphop. I hope for a speedy and uneventful recovery. You will make your way to Africa some day; it is definitely in your cards. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about that, hiphop. :( You and your father are in my thoughts.

GibsonGirl said:

Haha, thank you. I'm so bloody tired of people asking me if I had lions in my back garden. SOUTH AFRICA IS MORE TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED THAN SOME PLACES IN CANADA. I've seen more wildlife in Canada than I ever did back home!

I'm also bloody tired of people asking me whether or not I lived in a mud hut. I just stare at them and inquire whether or not they live in igloos. Usually shuts them up.

I've been asked so many ignorant ridiculous qs here in the US when I first got here, it's insane!!

Some examples: "Do you, like, wear clothes in Africa?? :ohmy:"

"Do you know what a computer is?"

"Do you, like, know what chocolates are? Don't you guys, like cook wild animals?"

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom