Going to Africa: your suggestions - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #16
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 10:28 AM
my advice?

don't get eaten by a lion or stampeded by elephants

have a great time. . . . . . tell us all about it . . . . . . I need to live through others, I'm too scared to go myself

Old 11-29-2007, 08:14 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:28 PM
Re: Re: Re: Going to Africa: your suggestions

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
Thanks! I got a little carried away with the animals! I actually have a lot more pics from my friends (pics of people and places), but didn't feel comfortable adding them to my own web site.
You're welcome! That's perfectly understandable regarding your friends and such, it's your site, you post what you want people to see. And animals are fascinating, I'd probably get a few shots of 'em myself . They were lovely.

Angela

Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:28 PM
There was an article in the July (07) issue of Vanity Fair (Bono's editorial debut) about the West African music scene. It may have some info you can use however

You're trip sounds fantastic.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Hi Babydoll!

I will be in Dar around the beginning of February for two days or so. Do you have any recommendations on what to do, where to stay, where to eat?

Where will I get bus/ train tickets to go to Bagamoyo?

Any places in Dar where its especially dangerous at night? Is every taxi driver ok or should we get recommended taxis?

What about nightlife, is there any club with live music or DJs you can recommend?
Hello!

Yeah I'm from Tanzania, but currently live here in the US. I go to school here.

Where to stay: Dar is full of nice hotels these days! I'd recommend the Movenpick, or SeaCliff - those are among the top tourist hotels. There's also the Proteas.

Train tickets to Bagamoyo - No. There's no train that goes there. The rail system isn't really good there. I'd recommend getting a ride with somebody you know, or if you're going with someone, you could rent a car for the day - it's only about an hours drive. No bus goes there either as far as I know.

The taxi system is really good though. Dar isn't particularly dangerous, you'll find people walking around at all times of day and night, lol. My relatives are spread out all over Dar, from downtown to the suburbia and they've never had any problems. However, cellphones are something to be careful and guard, lol. Pickpockets will tend to grab them and run. Pretty much every taxi driver is ok, we've taken taxis to almost everywhere and never had a problem.

I hope this helps!
Feel free to ask more
Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

BTW - lions and elephants are ONLY in protected national parks areas, they don't run around on the streets.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:14 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Babydoll

Train tickets to Bagamoyo - No. There's no train that goes there. The rail system isn't really good there. I'd recommend getting a ride with somebody you know, or if you're going with someone, you could rent a car for the day - it's only about an hours drive. No bus goes there either as far as I know.
Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

So I can take dalla dalla to Bagamoyo
Old 12-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, daladalas are far by the most common method of transport if you don't own a car
Old 12-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Babydoll, do you know Smokies Tavern in Msasani? What about The Tilt? Very touristy, or original Tansanian nightlife? Or would I be better of at the bar at the Namanga Shopping Centre /along Kimweri Avenue /at the Bahama Mama?
Old 12-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I don't drink so I wouldn't know about bars lol.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:28 AM
Y'all are making Tanzania sound very intruiging

I'm sure you'll have a blast, hiphop
Old 12-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 05:28 PM
hiphop - have an awesome trip. I can't wait to hear about it afterwards.

I'm preparing for a trip to Uganda that's happening next June so I really appreciated the travel health tips Liesje. Thanks for sharing your photos too! Again, you've got a great eye when it come to photography.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:07 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Re: health

Take Malarone. Doxy makes you really sensitive to the sun and Larium gives people weird halucinations and nightmares (but is tempting because it's a weekly pill).

As for cipro, it is waaay cheaper and available without perscription from any drug store anywhere in Africa. Get one course at home if it makes you feel safer, but you can easily pick some up when you get off the plane for a fraction of the cost. I also brought from home a course of treatment for pink eye, partly because I was going to be working with kids, but I never needed it. Then last spring when I was in India I got a terrible case of pink eye but cipro eye drops bought at a local pharmacy cleared it up. I also bought Artesunate at a local pharmacy, which is a treatment for malaria that I was fortunate not to have to use. It's a chinese herb and good to have on hand if you are going to be away from a health clinic; the malaria prophylaxis lose effectiveness when you inevitably get diarrhea. (Wear bug spray with deet if you are going to be out of a city. You can't get bug spray or sun screen in Africa without great difficulty and cost, so bring them.)

And for the diarrhea - rehydrating salts or gatorade powder works really well to keep the energy up.

Re: Kampala - I was there 3 years ago from your trip, so I'm not sure how much help I can be, as there have been massive construction efforts since then.

If you like night life, Kampala has a lot of it - club Rouge is the only one I remember by name but I went to 2 or 3 night clubs that were cheap and a blast. If you want you can stay out til dawn. Some are in guide books. There are several incredible indian restaurants (I've never had better indian food outside of India) and my favorite was Handi or something like that, it began with an H and was more on the east side of the city than the other notable one. Nearby (also near the food court) there is also a really pleasant wireless cafe (!) with ice cream (!) and Sky sports network (!). That should cure the homesickness. For a less western atmosphere head to the crazy huge outdoor market where locals shop.

If you want to see colonialism, go up to Kololo and check out the huge houses that the ambassadors and others still live in.

I don't know what your budget is but if it is similar to my travel budget and you are interested in hostels, Red Chili's is fabulous. They are a little out of the way in Kampala but have decent food and cheap rates and good company. They also run the most affordable mini-safari ever to the big national park in the north. It's 3 days and 3 years ago it was $130 bucks, includes accomodation and transportation and entry fees, but not food. It was pretty amazing, we saw most of the big 5 game, chimps, and did a nile cruise in 3 days!

Also a really cool thing to do in Uganda is head to Jinja (maybe 2 hours from Kampala, and the companies do pick-up if you want) for white water rafting on the Nile. This was such a crazy rush and totally scary and amazing at times, and other times the water was flat and we hopped out of the raft and just drifted down the Nile past all the birds and stuff. Crazy! It was $100 3 years ago for the whole day including a great lunch, I went with the western-run company (there are 2 others) because they have bigger rafts and I figured they'd be more accuontable for safety. Rafting the Nile is one of my favorite memories ever.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I took Malarone as well because my personal doctor recommended it, even though our health services had already given us doxy. I had no side effects, although I regret not taking doxy because I understand it IS an antibiotic and possible would have killed/prevented whatever bug I picked up that had me sick for almost 3 weeks. 20 people with us took doxy and the only side effect I know of was one guy took his without eating breakfast and threw up, but felt fine after that.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

hotpepper, Varitek, Lies, that sounds great! Keep it coming!

U2dem, if you make it in politics it´s your duty to raise the U.S. foreign aid budget to a minimum of 5% of the GDP!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

During my two years in Mali, I took larium, doxy and then malarone (in that order). Larium is the easiest for a short trip and although the side effects can be wacky, I think if you're just going for a short jaunt, it might be ok. Taking it longterm...not so much. Doxy was also fine; I didn't have many issues with the sun sensitivity. What did cause problems for me was taking an antibiotic for a year...messed up my stomach. Also as Lies said, you really do have to take it with food or you'll feel sick. I finally ended up on Malarone for the remainder of my time in Mali and it was the best. That said, I wasn't paying for any of it. So if it was more expensive and I was paying out of pocket, I'd probably go for the cheapest one. lol.

Tags
africa