God's gender? And more importantly, does it matter? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2004, 08:06 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:51 PM
No attribute of God is defined in human terms. God transcends humanity so why would gender be an acception? And besides, if you want to get really picky, as I've learned in gender studies class, the word "gender" actually refers to something learned. Since God is not influenced or defined by human cultures, he/she/it can't possibly be "gendered" through socialization. i'll admit, I always refer to God as He, but to me, the emphesis on God by using a capital "H" is more significant to me than choosing to use the word he or she. Of course as humans, we don't have the capacity to fully understand any aspect of God.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:18 PM   #32
The Fly

Local Time: 05:51 AM
I don't really care and I do think that it's irrelevent. But, in the movie Dogma apparently God is a she and looks kinda like Alanis Morisette ( I'm not trying to be a smart arse, remember God has a sence of humour too).
Cheers

Old 12-06-2004, 11:45 PM   #33
The Fly

Local Time: 07:51 PM
I've always taken it that when it says we are created in God's image that we are a lesser trinity of "body, mind, soul." I also agree with the idea that God possesses both male and female attributes without being either gender. I thought I heard at one time that one of the Hebrew words for God could be translated as "the Breasted One," refering to God's nurturing aspect. Don't know where I came up with it but I'd like to get your perspective.

I think the vast majority of people refer to God as a he because Jesus always refered to God as his father in heaven.

In the end, when the Bible says we shall be with God it says we shall be like the angels which leaves open the possiblity that we will transcend gender as well. Again, that depends on what you think angels are like.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:01 AM   #34
The Fly

God is a hermaphrodite
Old 12-07-2004, 04:46 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

If there is God, its gotto be FEMALE

there is no other option...

Old 12-07-2004, 06:22 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

I believe the Bible God is a man, but not in human form, or I really don't know.

In some old pagan religions, there is a "Mother Nature" type female goddess of the earth, and being female would correlate with the fertility of the flora and fauna and the reproduction of all life forms.

Still, the Bible God is in charge of it all.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:13 AM   #37
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 12-07-2004, 02:03 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

Angela
Old 12-07-2004, 10:39 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
there is a "Mother Nature" type female goddess of the earth, and being female would correlate with the fertility of the flora and fauna and the reproduction of all life forms.
yes Mother Goddess .. that is fine with me..

the creator of the universe..
Old 12-07-2004, 11:52 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Anthropomorphising nothingness.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:02 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ah, our resident libertarian atheist Aussie. (I'm really not trying to disrespect you in any way-- a majority of my friends are atheist or at least agnostic.) I'm actually writing a poli. sci. paper right now about libertarianism, progressivism, and conservatism... a reflective paper, so I can BS most of it.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:55 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Good work, there are very few out there that get it so to speak.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:58 AM   #43
Acrobat

ummm...

I think it is relevant. In terms of how you view the Bible at least. And how you view the Bible will determine your faith. I do not, however, think it is relevant in terms of how you relate to Him, because God trancends our human notions of the male/female relationship. Also, I just had a thought, He tells us via Paul to be all things to all people. He wants us to relate to everyone on their level, much in the same way He does, seeing past gender, social status, race, etc. so that should give you some indication of His nature. Essentially what I am saying is just because He is a guy, doesn't mean you can't consult Him if you are a female. At any rate on to stating my case...

He is refered to as He first off. He is refered to as Father as well. He did reproduce with Mary, not by means of copulation, but His seed (kinda have to be a male to have those lying around) was placed in her and as a result she conceived a Son . The manner in which His many names are written in Hebrew are masculine, same goes for the Greek. Even the Holy Spirit, something that you would not even consider being a gender specific entity, is referred to as He, not as an it.

I suppose really, what matters, is why anyone would question it. I mean if someone is genuinely wanting to know, so they can better understand the Bible, or better understand God, to put them in a position of being closer to Him then that is commendable and I would encourage questioning. The answers, are of course, right there in Scripture (and if you want to get really flash, an exhaustive concordance with Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic lexicons). But if its just some sort of baseless attempt to view God differently just for the sake of doing it, in order to seem progressive or cool or like some post-modern visionary, then I dunno, I just think it seems silly and shallow at that stage.

Nice thread.

Carrie
Old 12-08-2004, 07:22 AM   #44
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by dano
I've always taken it that when it says we are created in God's image that we are a lesser trinity of "body, mind, soul." I also agree with the idea that God possesses both male and female attributes without being either gender. I thought I heard at one time that one of the Hebrew words for God could be translated as "the Breasted One," refering to God's nurturing aspect. Don't know where I came up with it but I'd like to get your perspective.

I think the vast majority of people refer to God as a he because Jesus always refered to God as his father in heaven.

In the end, when the Bible says we shall be with God it says we shall be like the angels which leaves open the possiblity that we will transcend gender as well. Again, that depends on what you think angels are like.
Howdy dano,

I think where you heard that about the Hebrew word for God being "Breasted One" was in that U2 book by Bill Flannigan (sp?). Bono was on about that a friend of his said that or something. Maybe that is not where you heard it however, I dunno..

Actually though, when I read that in the book I giggled then grabbed my exhaustive concordance (see my previous post) and did an exhaustive study, lol. The only mention of the traditional Hebrew word for God being even remotely construed as female is in I Kings, chapter 11 verse 5 and 33. The word lohiym is used (in the original Hebrew text) once in each of these verses and is a reference to the worship of, Ashtoreth, a pagan goddess of the Sidonians

I believe the reason for this word being used in the feminine sense is to do with verb and nouns in the text being feminine. I could be wrong. At any rate I hope this shed some light on it for you?

Take care,

Carrie
Old 12-08-2004, 07:31 AM   #45
New Yorker

Next time you go to a Catholic mass, say this instead:

Priest: Pray, my brothers and sisters, that our sacrifice
may be acceptable to God, the almighty Father.
All: May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands,
for the praise and glory of GOD'S name,
for our good, and the good of all GOD'S Church.

It's amazing how the meaning stays the same and yet the view changes.

As for God, I would highly recommend some of you look up some of the names Jews have for God including Shechinah, which is considered the feminine aspect of God and is viewed by some rabbis as the part of God that was in exile with the Jews. And of course, remember that God's name according to Moses was "I am as I am" and not "My name is Frank. Get it right. Moses!"