God Off Money - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I have a resolution:

Keep the "In God We Trust" on everything except the pennies. Start using pennies for the "separation of church and state" text.
That way if I had pennies, I'd want to get rid of them. It's good for the economy.
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 04-25-2005, 06:14 PM   #32
The Fly
 
madroseka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft. Lewis, WA
Posts: 71
Local Time: 11:16 AM
I think its a silly issue at the heart of it. I'm personally against taking it off becuase of the money it would cost to reprint the money in the first place! See it's a government conspiracy! LOL
__________________

__________________
madroseka is offline  
Old 04-25-2005, 08:30 PM   #33
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Alright. If our money said:

"In Allah We Trust"

or

"In Buddha We Trust"

Would you all be equally ambivalent? Would you be able to walk away and say "it's irrelevant"?

To note, U.S. 666 was renamed, because it bothered Christians. The trend, it seems, is that if Christians are annoyed, laws are changed. If others are annoyed, they're supposed to "suck it up" and stop being all "PC."

Am I correct?

Melon
Well, Allah is God, the same God of the Christian and Jewish faiths (althoguh I personally don't see where jihad fits into the puzzle), so, not a good analogy.

This country in it's current state is primarily of Judeo-christian descent, putting "In buddha we trust" would be like trying to insert Christ onto say Eastern indian currency, hardly representative of the country and it's roots, and completely out of place.
__________________
cardosino is offline  
Old 04-25-2005, 10:31 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 07:16 AM
The right probably thought E Pluribus Unum had something to do with sex.
__________________
BonosSaint is offline  
Old 04-25-2005, 10:33 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 07:16 AM
It sounds kind of kinky...
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 08:53 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino
Well, Allah is God, the same God of the Christian and Jewish faiths (althoguh I personally don't see where jihad fits into the puzzle), so, not a good analogy.
I could see Jerry Falwell accepting the name "Allah" listed on our money...not.

Quote:
This country in it's current state is primarily of Judeo-christian descent, putting "In buddha we trust" would be like trying to insert Christ onto say Eastern indian currency, hardly representative of the country and it's roots, and completely out of place.
I don't understand why we have to slap any religion on this country. Even then, it was meant to be an analogy. People were meant to use their imagination for a bit.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:21 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I could see Jerry Falwell accepting the name "Allah" listed on our money...not.
Who cares what Jerry Falwell thinks? I'm a conservative Christian and I can care less what he has to say. Hardly worth his existence.

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I don't understand why we have to slap any religion on this country. Even then, it was meant to be an analogy. People were meant to use their imagination for a bit.
I don't understand why people throw pissy fits at a universal stamp on American monetary units. If you're a Buddhist, it can mean something to you, same thing with Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, or whatever it is. If it bothers an atheist on such an irrational level, they might want to start using checks and credit cards more often. Honestly, who has gotten injured by the haunting words "in God we trust?"
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:35 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Honestly, who has gotten injured by the haunting words "in God we trust?"
Injury is no longer a concern. The argument for pluralism is used to erode the influence of the dominant culture in society.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:37 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I don't understand why people throw pissy fits at a universal stamp on American monetary units. If you're a Buddhist, it can mean something to you, same thing with Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, or whatever it is. If it bothers an atheist on such an irrational level, they might want to start using checks and credit cards more often. Honestly, who has gotten injured by the haunting words "in God we trust?"
Like I said before: if a Christian is offended, government moves the heavens and the Earth to accomodate. If anyone else is offended, tough shit.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:42 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Like I said before: if a Christian is offended, government moves the heavens and the Earth to accomodate. If anyone else is offended, tough shit.
Oversimplified analogy, certainly not the absolute truth. Thirty plus years of Roe v. Wade is a perfect example of a counter argument. But then again, all hell would break loose if I made a comment that goes against so called "reproductive rights." Therefore, need I say more.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Injury is no longer a concern. The argument for pluralism is used to erode the influence of the dominant culture in society.
Careful, Michael Newdow couldn't prove that Bush's prayer at the inauguration injured him in court. As a result, he lost.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Oversimplified analogy, certainly not the absolute truth. Thirty plus years of Roe v. Wade is a perfect example of a counter argument. But then again, all hell would break loose if I made a comment that goes against so called "reproductive rights." Therefore, need I say more.
And we've spent the past 30 years hearing Christianity whine louder than a hyena, whereas there's no outrage over the death penalty. I guess it's telling that, when polled, a majority of Americans are pro-death penality and pro-choice.

And when it came to gay rights--something that only affects a minority of people's happiness--Christianity has whined even louder. God forbid any group of people find happiness outside of what Christianity generally allows. It's none of their fucking business, but Christianity doesn't give a flying fuck when it comes to sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

Need *I* say more?

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:52 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


And we've spent the past 30 years hearing Christianity whine louder than a hyena, whereas there's no outrage over the death penalty. I guess it's telling that, when polled, a majority of Americans are pro-death penality and pro-choice.

And when it came to gay rights--something that only affects a minority of people's happiness--Christianity has whined even louder. God forbid any group of people find happiness outside of what Christianity generally allows. It's none of their fucking business, but Christianity doesn't give a flying fuck when it comes to sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

Need *I* say more?

Melon
I'd rather not have the death penalty, except for sperm-wasting terrorist nutjobs like Osama bin Laden who rightfully deserve it. If you want full protection under law, start writing your senators. I'm sure you are more than capable of doing that and putting your energy to good use.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:57 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
If you want full protection under law, start writing your senators. I'm sure you are more than capable of doing that and putting your energy to good use.
You've seen the "Defense of Marriage Acts," haven't you? The tyranny of the majority always prevails.

You know, if it weren't for the Civil War and the ratification of the anti-slavery amendments being a requirement for the Confederate states' readmission into the Union, blacks would still be slaves in this nation. It's too bad that we can't do the same for gay rights and equality, because it's clear that this nation is nothing but a bunch of small-minded bigots.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:57 AM   #45
Refugee
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,538
Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
If you want full protection under law, start writing your senators. I'm sure you are more than capable of doing that and putting your energy to good use.
At the risk of sounding pedantic, don't you think thats a little oversimplified? If it were as easy as that, there wouldn't be a problem.

Ant.
__________________

__________________
Razors pain you; Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you; And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give;
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Anthony is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com