God Off Money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Macfistowannabe said:
I have a resolution:

Keep the "In God We Trust" on everything except the pennies. Start using pennies for the "separation of church and state" text.
That way if I had pennies, I'd want to get rid of them. :wink: It's good for the economy.

I think its a silly issue at the heart of it. I'm personally against taking it off becuase of the money it would cost to reprint the money in the first place! See it's a government conspiracy! LOL

melon said:
Alright. If our money said:

"In Allah We Trust"

or

"In Buddha We Trust"

Would you all be equally ambivalent? Would you be able to walk away and say "it's irrelevant"?

To note, U.S. 666 was renamed, because it bothered Christians. The trend, it seems, is that if Christians are annoyed, laws are changed. If others are annoyed, they're supposed to "suck it up" and stop being all "PC."

Am I correct?

Melon

Well, Allah is God, the same God of the Christian and Jewish faiths (althoguh I personally don't see where jihad fits into the puzzle), so, not a good analogy.

This country in it's current state is primarily of Judeo-christian descent, putting "In buddha we trust" would be like trying to insert Christ onto say Eastern indian currency, hardly representative of the country and it's roots, and completely out of place.

The right probably thought E Pluribus Unum had something to do with sex.

cardosino said:
Well, Allah is God, the same God of the Christian and Jewish faiths (althoguh I personally don't see where jihad fits into the puzzle), so, not a good analogy.

I could see Jerry Falwell accepting the name "Allah" listed on our money...not.

This country in it's current state is primarily of Judeo-christian descent, putting "In buddha we trust" would be like trying to insert Christ onto say Eastern indian currency, hardly representative of the country and it's roots, and completely out of place.

I don't understand why we have to slap any religion on this country. Even then, it was meant to be an analogy. People were meant to use their imagination for a bit.

Melon

melon said:
I could see Jerry Falwell accepting the name "Allah" listed on our money...not.
Who cares what Jerry Falwell thinks? I'm a conservative Christian and I can care less what he has to say. Hardly worth his existence.

melon said:
I don't understand why we have to slap any religion on this country. Even then, it was meant to be an analogy. People were meant to use their imagination for a bit.
I don't understand why people throw pissy fits at a universal stamp on American monetary units. If you're a Buddhist, it can mean something to you, same thing with Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, or whatever it is. If it bothers an atheist on such an irrational level, they might want to start using checks and credit cards more often. Honestly, who has gotten injured by the haunting words "in God we trust?"

Macfistowannabe said:
Honestly, who has gotten injured by the haunting words "in God we trust?"

Injury is no longer a concern. The argument for pluralism is used to erode the influence of the dominant culture in society.

Macfistowannabe said:
I don't understand why people throw pissy fits at a universal stamp on American monetary units. If you're a Buddhist, it can mean something to you, same thing with Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, or whatever it is. If it bothers an atheist on such an irrational level, they might want to start using checks and credit cards more often. Honestly, who has gotten injured by the haunting words "in God we trust?"

Like I said before: if a Christian is offended, government moves the heavens and the Earth to accomodate. If anyone else is offended, tough shit.

Melon

melon said:
Like I said before: if a Christian is offended, government moves the heavens and the Earth to accomodate. If anyone else is offended, tough shit.
Oversimplified analogy, certainly not the absolute truth. Thirty plus years of Roe v. Wade is a perfect example of a counter argument. But then again, all hell would break loose if I made a comment that goes against so called "reproductive rights." Therefore, need I say more.

nbcrusader said:
Injury is no longer a concern. The argument for pluralism is used to erode the influence of the dominant culture in society.
Careful, Michael Newdow couldn't prove that Bush's prayer at the inauguration injured him in court. As a result, he lost.

Macfistowannabe said:
Oversimplified analogy, certainly not the absolute truth. Thirty plus years of Roe v. Wade is a perfect example of a counter argument. But then again, all hell would break loose if I made a comment that goes against so called "reproductive rights." Therefore, need I say more.

And we've spent the past 30 years hearing Christianity whine louder than a hyena, whereas there's no outrage over the death penalty. I guess it's telling that, when polled, a majority of Americans are pro-death penality and pro-choice.

And when it came to gay rights--something that only affects a minority of people's happiness--Christianity has whined even louder. God forbid any group of people find happiness outside of what Christianity generally allows. It's none of their fucking business, but Christianity doesn't give a flying fuck when it comes to sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

Need *I* say more?

Melon

melon said:

And we've spent the past 30 years hearing Christianity whine louder than a hyena, whereas there's no outrage over the death penalty. I guess it's telling that, when polled, a majority of Americans are pro-death penality and pro-choice.

And when it came to gay rights--something that only affects a minority of people's happiness--Christianity has whined even louder. God forbid any group of people find happiness outside of what Christianity generally allows. It's none of their fucking business, but Christianity doesn't give a flying fuck when it comes to sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

Need *I* say more?

Melon
I'd rather not have the death penalty, except for sperm-wasting terrorist nutjobs like Osama bin Laden who rightfully deserve it. If you want full protection under law, start writing your senators. I'm sure you are more than capable of doing that and putting your energy to good use.

Macfistowannabe said:
If you want full protection under law, start writing your senators. I'm sure you are more than capable of doing that and putting your energy to good use.

You've seen the "Defense of Marriage Acts," haven't you? The tyranny of the majority always prevails.

You know, if it weren't for the Civil War and the ratification of the anti-slavery amendments being a requirement for the Confederate states' readmission into the Union, blacks would still be slaves in this nation. It's too bad that we can't do the same for gay rights and equality, because it's clear that this nation is nothing but a bunch of small-minded bigots.

Melon

If you want full protection under law, start writing your senators. I'm sure you are more than capable of doing that and putting your energy to good use.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, don't you think thats a little oversimplified? If it were as easy as that, there wouldn't be a problem.

Ant.

It's too bad that we can't do the same for gay rights and equality

Someone once said, and I forget who, that 'real change can only ever happen when a human being is prepared to die, and perhaps more effectively, to kill for an ideal. Change in values only ever happen when there are rivers of blood flowing beneath our very feet'.

Now, I am not advocating the use of violence/terrorism for an instant, but that quote rings very true to me now and then.

Ant.

Anthony said:
At the risk of sounding pedantic, don't you think thats a little oversimplified? If it were as easy as that, there wouldn't be a problem.

Ant.
It's not as EASY as that, but it's easily better than griping about how awful Christians/conservatives are and calling people bigots because they don't agree with you. After all, it's only the Christians who would murder Matthew Shepherd and cause prisons to separate people due to sexual orientation. :rolleyes:

Yeah, well, blacks had to resort to *gasp* "activist judges" to *enforce* the Reconstruction-era amendments that gave blacks equality. 100 years it took. Pathetic.

And then when even the "activist judges" couldn't make Congress and the states take their rights seriously, blacks resorted to rioting. That's really when they started to be taken seriously. It's really quite disappointing.

The only silver lining is that an uber-bigot like Strom Thurmond became the first Senator to hire a black staffer less than a decade after his record-long filibuster (filibuster! *gasp*) against the Civil Rights Act of 1964. So maybe there's hope for Tom DeLay in the long run.

Melon

Macfistowannabe said:
It's not as EASY as that, but it's easily better than griping about how awful Christians/conservatives are and calling people bigots because they don't agree with you. After all, it's only the Christians who would murder Matthew Shepherd and cause prisons to separate people due to sexual orientation. :rolleyes:

Christianity, though, does its part to foster and encourage anti-gay intolerance. Christianity whines the loudest anytime there is ever any gay-positive legislation or any legislation at all that might benefits gays. They whined even about anti-bullying laws, because it might possibly maybe stop gay people from being bullied.

Christianity has clearly become part of the problem, and nowhere near the solution. They have purposely positioned themselves as the enemy.

Melon

Last edited:
And why is NONE of the energy spent on the non-Christians who commit hate crimes on the GLBT community? You make it sound as if words speak louder than actions.

Macfistowannabe said:
And why is NONE of the energy spent on the non-Christians who commit hate crimes on the GLBT community? You make it sound as if words speak louder than actions.

Because what power do they have? I don't like Islam for this reason, but does Islam influence the laws in this nation?

I mean, outside of religion, where else does the hate come from?

Melon

It's not as EASY as that, but it's easily better than griping about how awful Christians/conservatives are and calling people bigots because they don't agree with you. After all, it's only the Christians who would murder Matthew Shepherd and cause prisons to separate people due to sexual orientation.

One can easily dismiss it as 'griping', but in reality, I do not see the law denying Christians any rights. To my knowledge, there is freedom of religious expression and being a Christian, and whatever that entails, is recognised and protected by law. When you do have some Christian pressure-group vociferating their distate for something, it really does mean that; distate. You will, I think, agree that there is a distinction between finding something offensive and being denied outright certain rights. So, even if people were to follow your suggestion they are still in this situation of being denied basic rights and are 'not' equal in the eyes of the law, for all intents and purposes. Yes, one can dismiss it a 'griping', but one really should consider where such 'griping' is coming from in the first place. It seems a counter-productive word, at best, to use for a group of people who seek legal equality and rights.

Regarding your example; no. It is not just Christians who murder individuals such as Shepherd, but the role of the Christian faith (or any other faith for that matter) comes into play when the issue of morality is brought into it. Too many people are, wrongfully, using christianity as an excuse to deny certain people rights.

Ant.

Macfistowannabe said:
Ridiculous question.
How's this for starters?

http://www.anti-everything.com/pages/main.htm

Wow. I mean, really. Trying to compare religion with billions of followers to a small website with what....maybe a few hundred or a few thousand visitors? And making fun of ideas over people? Novel concept. I mean, it's not as if the site is arguing making a certain class of people legally invisible.

If only religion were reduced to a website with a few hundred or a few thousand visitors...then I'd be happily on my way.

Melon

Last edited:
Anthony said:
Regarding your example; no. It is not just Christians who murder individuals such as Shepherd, but the role of the Christian faith (or any other faith for that matter) comes into play when the issue of morality is brought into it. Too many people are, wrongfully, using christianity as an excuse to deny certain people rights.
They point to the abhorring murders of individuals such as Matthew Shepherd in the attempt to use it against those with spiritual beliefs. Not just Christians... can you share the last time a Christian murdered anyone over sexual orientation?

(this thread really lost topic... .... .... yep)

Ridiculous question.

Not really, when you consider that the basis for denying gay rights always starts with quoting scripture. I am not saying that being a Christian will make you hateful - not at all, however, the interpretation of Christianity by many and its subsequent role by their own fashioning has engendered hate.

Ant.

Macfistowannabe said:
They point to the abhorring murders of individuals such as Matthew Shepherd in the attempt to use it against those with spiritual beliefs. Not just Christians... can you share the last time a Christian murdered anyone over sexual orientation?

We're not talking about *murder* or *hate crimes.* We're talking about *equality.* How "noble" of America to decry that it's awful to murder us, but when it comes to us "living," we're told to fuck off, essentially.

Melon

melon said:

Wow. I mean, really. Trying to compare religion with billions of followers to a small website with what....maybe a few hundred or a few thousand visitors?

If only religion were reduced to a website with a few hundred or a few thousand visitors...then I'd be happily on my way.

Melon
http://zombietime.com/

Maybe these numbskulls are an example of hatred outside of religion?

Back
Top Bottom