God is not a Republican or a Democrat...petition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
http://go.sojo.net/campaign/takebackourfaith

Here's a summary:
Sign our petition and send a message that the Religious Right does not speak for you. Remind America that Jesus taught us to be peacemakers, advocates for the poor, and defenders of justice. Rather than endorsing any party, we must examine each candidate in light of the complete range of Christian ethics and values.

Help us place this petition into local newspapers across America and to as many other media outlets as possible before the election. After signing the petition, you will have an opportunity to give a gift to help communicate this important message.

I won't sign, because a) I don't believe in God, and b) I'm not American, but I do agree with the main message of the petition.

I really hate it when candidates trumpet that they are Christian simply for votes, or that the Religious Right flaunts the fact that the Republican Party is always right because they are on "God's side".

God doesn't take sides. :up:

Dr. Teeth...God just blesses us (America) more, right?!

I mean, who has ever heard the song "God Bless the Netherlands"?

:wink:

I saw a documentary the other day about how the Religious Right came to prominence over the last 50 years. I must say that for a bunch of people who profess such an obsession with Jesus (the doco consisted mostly of first-hand interviews with Falwell and the like), they didn't have much Christian compassion. Seemed more worried about keeping gays out of sight and getting prayer back in schools than anything that actually matters.

I don't care anymore. If you think God is on your side, fuck you, whoever you are.

^Good one Kieren, I personally dream of sticking all the Ayatollahs, Abu Hamza's and Bin Ladens of the world in a big patch of desert with the Christian doomsday fanatics and let them sort it out once and for all, let them have their apocalypse - just keep me and everybody else out of it!

A_Wanderer said:
^Good one Kieren, I personally dream of sticking all the Ayatollahs, Abu Hamza's and Bin Ladens of the world in a big patch of desert with the Christian doomsday fanatics and let them sort it out once and for all, let them have their apocalypse - just keep me and everybody else out of it!

And I propose a 4 meter fence all around it.

But how to lure them in there, thats the big question, at the moment I am thinking of telling each of them a different story.

To the Christian Zealots - Look out in that desert, its an satanic interracial gay couple!

To the Muslim Zealots - Look its a single human female who is not under the righteous iron fist of a man, get it! that or "Somebodys attractive Cousin!".

To anyone else - you wanna see a dead body?

Now what types of doomsday weapons should they be armed with, neutron bombs would eliminate the messy cleanup - then again with big rocks and bones they could recreate the ape men scene from 2001.

Last edited:
I agree with this petition. It makes me sick to see politicians to use God to show that they are right, or appeal to religious people into thinking that they are religious and God-fearing too. Its all PR.

Last edited:
If God does not take sides, then why are these people using Jesus for their own political agenda? It is my understanding that there are things in both parties that Jesus would/wouldn't agree with. However, he probably doesn't care what they say because he wanted people to be his disciples, not elephants or donkeys.

The petition has got nothing to do with an understanding of God, just a counter to the "Religious Right".

Skip the petition, open the Bible and read for yourself.....

One of the most disturbing things I've heard regarding Religion and politics was from the Woodward book about GW Bush. Apparantly when Woodward asked GW why he didn't consult his father GW Sr. on the issue of Iraq, GW Jr. resonded with this:

"I consulted a Higher Father"

Excuse me, but maybe my 11 years of Catholic Schooling taught me the wrong Bible, but I honestly don't think that God or Jesus would go to war with Iraq, let alone anyone for that matter. It seems very hypocritical to use the word Higher Father and War in the same sentence, At least the Higher Father I believe in. To me this is no different than Terrorists using their God to go to "war" with us. To me it's the same thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom