God is not a republican, or a democrat - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2004, 02:36 AM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:24 AM
By the way, the quotes from Falwell and Robertson on the Sojourners page are outrageous. I hadn't seen those quotes before.

Honestly, I wonder if many Americans realize what kind of right wing fanatics are backing the right wing extremist Bush administration?

Crazy.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:57 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler
By the way, the quotes from Falwell and Robertson on the Sojourners page are outrageous. I hadn't seen those quotes before.

Honestly, I wonder if many Americans realize what kind of right wing fanatics are backing the right wing extremist Bush administration?

Crazy.
I think those quotes do two things.

1) they make Fallwell and Robertson look bad

2) they make Bush and his supporters look fanatical, when they all are not

Sojourners in this case is attempting to say that there is another Christian voice out there that does not side with the Robertsons of the world. I find that refreshing.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:43 AM   #18
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. Romans 13:1
That dosn't mean that every governing authority is a good one (Stalin, Hitler etc) Romans 13:1 is easy to abuse and has to be seen in context.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:38 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
That dosn't mean that every governing authority is a good one (Stalin, Hitler etc) Romans 13:1 is easy to abuse and has to be seen in context.
You are most correct. There were many governing authorities that were not good, but God allowed them to power.

Romans 13:1 is not a promise or claim that we can take (i.e., you must submit to me because God put me in power). It shows God's sovereignty over all nations and rulers and that God's plans are beyond our lifetime or our full understanding.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:18 PM   #20
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 06:24 PM
nbcrusader:
I fully agree with your interpretation
Old 08-24-2004, 10:33 PM   #21
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis Presley

I think those quotes do two things.

1) they make Fallwell and Robertson look bad

2) they make Bush and his supporters look fanatical, when they all are not
Of course I agree that not all of Bush's supporters are fanatical. That goes without saying. I, like most people, run with Republicans, Democrats and people of other political persuasions within my circle of friends. None of my Republican friends are "fanatics." They are cool guys and we enjoy each others' company when we go out for a beer together.

I'm referring to the right wing conservative Christian faction of Bush's base, and even more to the point -- said faction's leadership, which through radio, tv, and from the pulpit constantly pounds the idea into Christians that they need to get out the vote and elect representatives that support "Christian" (read "Republican") values.

EP, I agree with the basic point made by Sojourners: God is not a Republican or a Democrat.