"God-blessed martyrdom-seeking mission."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is stinking stange...the article is completely GONE.

Found it on the AP Wire, it is no longer at the Washington Post though. Weird.

Arab volunteers reportedly trained for suicide attacks in Iraq

SALAH NASRAWI, Associated Press Writer Tuesday, March 11, 2003

(03-11) 11:43 PST DOHA, Qatar (AP) --

Saddam Hussein has opened a training camp for Arab volunteers willing to carry out suicide bombings against U.S. forces in case they invade Iraq, Arab media and Iraqi dissidents said Tuesday.

The dissidents, speaking by telephone from Jordan, said scores of Arab volunteers have gone to a special camp run by the Iraqi intelligence service near the town of al-Khalis, 40 miles northeast of Baghdad.

Most of the volunteers are Islamic activists who belong to pan-Arab groups that maintain close ties with Saddam's regime, the dissidents said on condition of anonymity.

The Qatar-based Al-Jazeera satellite television station reported Saturday that a group of Arab volunteers was being trained in urban warfare in a camp near Baghdad.

Al-Jazeera said its Baghdad-based reporter had visited a camp, some 15 miles northeast of the Iraqi capital, and interviewed several Arab trainees, who said they were ready for "martyrdom," a euphemism for suicide attacks.

A U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the United States has no information that would corroborate reports of Iraqi intelligence training suicide bombers at camps northeast of Baghdad, or anywhere else.

Many Muslims believe that participating with Iraqis in a possible war against invading U.S. forces is a religious duty. However, many Muslim scholars say suicide is against Islamic teachings.

An Egyptian volunteer who identified himself only as Abu Abd al-Rahman said he traveled to Iraq secretly, leaving behind his wife and children, to join the camp. He told Al-Jazeera his venture was a "God-blessed martyrdom-seeking mission."

"We seek God's satisfaction. We seek victory first, and martyrdom in the cause of God second. You are well aware of what is happening against Iraq. This is clearly an injustice against an Arab, Muslim country," he said.

Asked about his three children, Abu Abd al-Rahman said: "God will take care of them, and anyone who is taken care of by God will not be forgotten."

Another volunteer identified as a Libyan called al-Sunusi told Al-Jazeera the volunteers hate the Bush administration, which he says, represents evil.

"I am not afraid. I am not afraid. I came here to carry out jihad (holy war) against the U.S. arrogance," he said.

A Syrian mosque preacher who gave his name as Abu Izz al-Din said he came to Iraq to attain his "goal of martyrdom."

"No nation can attain the weapon of martyrdom seekers, regardless of the technological and scientific advancement they might have," he said. "The weapon of martyrdom-seekers is special to the Muslim nation. We will be able to confront them with this weapon, God willing."

Diyar al-Umari, an Al-Jazeera reporter who said he visited the camp on a tour organized by the Iraqi government, described the volunteers as coming from a number of countries and political movements.

"The fighters here say that the weapons of the United States and Britain may be lethal, but they are martyrdom-seekers. In this case, they say, the U.S. forces may confront a case that is very unusual to them," al-Umari reported. "Those martyrdom-seekers aspire to change the shape of the looming war."

U.S. officials accuse Saddam of harboring weapons of mass destruction and have threatened to forcefully disarm him. The Bush administration also claims that Iraq maintains ties with radical organizations including groups with links to Osama bin Laden's terrorist network al-Qaida.

Saddam rejects the accusations and any link with bin Laden or al-Qaida.

By SALAH NASRAWI
The Associated Press
Tuesday, March 11, 2003; 2:27 PM

Saddam Hussein has opened a training camp for Arab volunteers willing to carry out suicide bombings against U.S. forces in case they invade Iraq, Arab media and Iraqi dissidents said Tuesday.

The dissidents, speaking by telephone from Jordan, said scores of Arab volunteers have gone to a special camp run by the Iraqi intelligence service near the town of al-Khalis, 40 miles northeast of Baghdad.

Most of the volunteers are Islamic activists who belong to pan-Arab groups that maintain close ties with Saddam's regime, the dissidents said on condition of anonymity.

The Qatar-based Al-Jazeera satellite television station reported Saturday that a group of Arab volunteers was being trained in urban warfare in a camp near Baghdad.

The station said its Baghdad-based reporter had visited a camp, some 15 miles northeast of the Iraqi capital, and interviewed several Arab trainees, who said they were ready for "martyrdom," a euphemism for suicide attacks.

Many Muslims believe that participating with Iraqis in a possible war against invading U.S. forces is a religious duty, but such a camp is believed to be unprecedented in Iraq.

An Egyptian volunteer who identified himself only as Abu Abd al-Rahman said he traveled to Iraq secretly, leaving behind his wife and children, to join the camp. He told Al-Jazeera his venture was a "God-blessed martyrdom-seeking mission."

"We seek God's satisfaction. We seek victory first, and martyrdom in the cause of God second. You are well aware of what is happening against Iraq. This is clearly an injustice against an Arab, Muslim country," he said.

Asked about his three children, Abu Abd al-Rahman said: "God will take care of them, and anyone who is taken care of by God will not be forgotten."

Another volunteer identified as a Libyan called al-Sunusi told Al-Jazeera the volunteers hate the Bush administration, which he says, represents evil.

"I am not afraid. I am not afraid. I came here to carry out jihad (holy war) against the U.S. arrogance," he said.

A Syrian mosque preacher who gave his name as Abu Izz al-Din said he came to Iraq to attain his "goal of martyrdom."

"No nation can attain the weapon of martyrdom seekers, regardless of the technological and scientific advancement they might have," he said. "The weapon of martyrdom-seekers is special to the Muslim nation. We will be able to confront them with this weapon, God willing."

Diyar al-Umari, an Al-Jazeera reporter who said he visited the camp on a tour organized by the Iraqi government, described the volunteers as coming from a number of countries and political movements.

"The fighters here say that the weapons of the United States and Britain may be lethal, but they are martyrdom-seekers. In this case, they say, the U.S. forces may confront a case that is very unusual to them," al-Umari reported. "Those martyrdom-seekers aspire to change the shape of the looming war."

U.S. officials accuse Saddam of harboring weapons of mass destruction and have threatened to forcefully disarm him. The Bush administration also claims that Iraq maintains ties with radical organizations including groups with links to Osama bin Laden's terrorist network al-Qaida.

Saddam rejects the accusations and any link with bin Laden, al-Qaida or a Kurdish extremist group believed connected to the terror network.

On Monday, the highest authority in the Sunni Islamic world, the Islamic Research Center at Cairo's Al-Azhar University, declared that war against Iraq will be a "new crusade" compelling every Muslim to perform "jihad."

While opposition to a war against Iraq is strong in the Arab world, many Muslim scholars say suicide is against Islamic teachings.

? 2003 The Associated Press

So, would there be a way to prevent such cruelties happening on U.S. territory? Does your President care about Americans worrying for the security in their homeland? Does he care about letters from U.S. Mil. Veterans, high officials? Does he care about tens of thousands of civilians dying in Iraq? About fucking up diplomacy with countries who have been good partners for decades?

I don?t see him giving a shit. But, well, its your President. Be proud, America.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
So, would there be a way to prevent such cruelties happening on U.S. territory?

Yes, I think he does and I think that his actions reflect his attempt at doing that.

Does your President care about Americans worrying for the security in their homeland?

Yes, I think he does and I think that his actions reflect his attempt at doing that.

Does he care about letters from U.S. Mil. Veterans, high officials?

What does this have to do with suicide bombers, the topic of this thread?

Does he care about tens of thousands of civilians dying in Iraq?

What does this have to do with suicide bombers? Other than maybe an attempt at deflecting responsibility from Saddam and demonizing GW BUSH?

About fucking up diplomacy with countries who have been good partners for decades?

And France, Germany, and Russia have not contributed to fucking this situation up? Should I list how each has contributed to the failure of sanctions? How about this has nothing to do with the article posted.

I don?t see him giving a shit. But, well, its your President. Be proud, America.

It's a shame you don't seem to give a shit that Saddam's threatening suicide bombers as being bad. Instead you continue to focus on Bush, and neglect the issues.

So, would there be a way to prevent such cruelties happening on U.S. territory? Does your President care about Americans worrying for the security in their homeland? Does he care about letters from U.S. Mil. Veterans, high officials? Does he care about tens of thousands of civilians dying in Iraq? About fucking up diplomacy with countries who have been good partners for decades?

Personally, I'm disgusted with my :censored: government. I'm one embarrassed American. I didn't vote for the :censored:.

Dreadsox said:

What does this have to do with suicide bombers, the topic of this thread?

What does this have to do with suicide bombers? Other than maybe an attempt at deflecting responsibility from Saddam and demonizing GW BUSH?

And France, Germany, and Russia have not contributed to fucking this situation up? Should I list how each has contributed to the failure of sanctions? How about this has nothing to do with the article posted.

It's a shame you don't seem to give a shit that Saddam's threatening suicide bombers as being bad. Instead you continue to focus on Bush, and neglect the issues.

And so what, Dreadsox? Come on, sure suicide bombers are bad. Did I say I think they?re great or what.

I?m not neglecting the issues. The issue would be that Bush doesn?t go to war. If some extreme criminal idiot extremists think they are gonna do revenge and carry out their own jihad on U.S. territory you will not stop them, Dreadsox, and Bush won?t stop them either.

What do Bushs actions reflect? You think he prevents those cruelties by going to war? Congratulations for your reality approach. Very Martin Luther King - like. Oops, I will leave out a personal sentence here.

What does Bush do for his fellow countrymen except of rising the fear by using his huge propaganda machine? Dreadsox... listen... I am talking to Americans who say they have fear every time they see a plane up in the sky. What kind of freaking horror world are you living in? Yes, there was 9/11, but is that a reason to always fear, fear, fear? And what does Bush do against the fear? Does he try to help American citizens by saying "Well, folks we live in hard times, its a dangerous world, but its gonna be alright, don?t worry"? No. The very contrary. He pumps up the fear. He wants his nation to live in fear, in my humble opinion, so he can get away with everything he does. He ruins original American values by implemeting the so-called Patriot Act. Et cetera.

Yeah, f***ing suicide bombers. What the hell do you expect? Sure I think they are bastards. It is very disturbing, personally, that you seem to assume I am not against them. "An attempt at deflecting responsibility" - great. But whatever.

Nope, I don?t think France Germany and Russia have contributed big time to f***ing the situation up. Sure, its all in their economic self interest. But at least they favor a peaceful diplomatic situation.

Back to the suicide bombers. I hope they?ll not do dirty bombs. No doubt that Saddam and the a** of a suicide bomber are responsible.

No doubt that your President likes the limbo, though. Hell, what should I expect of a man who launches a pre emptive attack? Who, before of being elected, favoured death penalty and still does? Who has failed to implement decent gun control laws? Who digs getting a mental orgasm over Star Wars? Its all bloody, bloody, his hands are full of blood.

In my humble opinion.

Thanks for telling me I am neglecting the issues. "An attempt at deflecting personality" - thats way personal. :down:

I have to say....Thank you for including something on the topic of this thread.

No problem. In fact the topic is "God Blessed Martyrdom Seeking Mission". Take out Martyrdom Seeking, Bush?s actions are God Blessed Freedom Missions, aren?t they. You know what? You have used the word "demonizing" on me.

Thats interesting. If it wasn?t off topic for your ach-so-estimated thread, we could do a research on how American language and the education of language has changed since Bush announced the "Axis of Evil".

Last edited:

Yeah, f***ing suicide bombers. What the hell do you expect? Sure I think they are bastards. It is very disturbing, personally, that you seem to assume I am not against them. "An attempt at deflecting responsibility" - great. But whatever.

What is disturbing is that I have reread what I wrote ten times. I never once said anything remotely close to anything along the lines of you supporting suicide bombers. I point out, that thread after thread you attack BUSH even on a thread like this where the deeper issue is these deeply religious people are leaving their families to die because they believe that there is a place in heaven for them for doing this. It is appalling to me reading about the Egyptian man willing to do this without telling his family that he left to join up.

Nope, I don?t think France Germany and Russia have contributed big time to f***ing the situation up. Sure, its all in their economic self interest. But at least they favor a peaceful diplomatic situation.

On this I believe you are wrong. 100%. Peace after 12 years of this TYRANT continuing to hurt his people is wrong. Peace when he clearly is not disarming is wrong. THe fact that these three members of the security council will benefit is wrong. The fact that they have contributed to his ability to violate the resolutions is wrong.

Back to the suicide bombers. I hope they?ll not do dirty bombs. No doubt that Saddam and the a** of a suicide bomber are responsible.

I agree with this too.

No doubt that your President likes the limbo, though. Hell, what should I expect of a man who launches a pre emptive attack? Who, before of being elected, favoured death penalty and still does? Who has failed to implement decent gun control laws? Who digs getting a mental orgasm over Star Wars? Its all bloody, bloody, his hands are full of blood.

Wow, many of the things you are so upset about, many people here in the United States, decent hard working honest peace loving people believe in exactly the opposite. I guess we all must be evil too.

But back to topic. Thanks for at least including something about suicide attackers. Oh, and the deflecting thing, that to me is the fact that you would rather attack BUsh than point out things Saddam has done. That is what that is about.

Peace

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

Wow, many of the things you are so upset about, many people here in the United States, decent hard working honest peace loving people believe in exactly the opposite. I guess we all must be evil too.

But back to topic. Thanks for at least including something about suicide attackers. Oh, and the deflecting thing, that to me is the fact that you would rather attack BUsh than point out things Saddam has done. That is what that is about.

Peace

Your guess is wrong. I don?t use the same language like you. I have never said Bush is evil, nor that any American or any person in the whole world is or was evil. This kind of language belongs in the Middle Age, and I consider myself to be more modern.

You didn?t answer on the fear thing, which imo has to do with this thread too, bc its natural to have fear of suicide bombers. Why do many decent hard working honest peace loving Americans have so much fear? F.e. of planes, plain planes, flying around? Maybe of strange looking people with beards, too. And what does the current President and his administration do against that?

Why should I point out things Saddam has done? Apart from all the media being full of that - too -, are there many Iraqi citizens with who I can discuss on this Message Board? I don?t think so. If I had to discuss about Saddam, I would favor the Iraqi opposition movement to talk to.

But on this message board there are many Americans. So me, for freeing my mind and learning something I favor to speak about American issues with them. We can talk about European issues as well. But the possibility that you provide new facts to me what Saddam has done wrong (and there are lots of things I despise him for, and his hands are full of blood) are relatively slim, compared to the possibilities of learning new things about American positions, and of the possibility of probably contributing alternative viewpoints for Americans.

Peace? Yeah peace to you, peace to me, but war all around us.

Last edited:
I think it's strange that the Iraqi opposition has been so low-profile. I haven't heard of many of them. Maybe I'm not watching enough news. They are giving Americans and Europeans and choice Middle Easterners like Saddam and Arafat coverage, but where in the heck is Joe Q. Iraqi? Weird. I'd like to see some of these people interviewed.

Not that I wish to defend Iraq, but what do you expect? It isn't like Iraq has large bombs to drop, like the MOAB. Do we expect a defenseless war?

Here's something from "The Onion" :sexywink::

Bush Orders Iraq To Disarm Before Start Of War

WASHINGTON, DC?Maintaining his hardline stance against Saddam Hussein, President Bush ordered Iraq to fully dismantle its military before the U.S. begins its invasion next week. "U.S. intelligence confirms that, even as we speak, Saddam is preparing tanks and guns and other weapons of deadly force for use in our upcoming war against him," Bush said Sunday during his weekly radio address. "This madman has every intention of firing back at our troops when we attack his country." Bush warned the Iraqi dictator to "lay down [his] weapons and enter battle unarmed, or suffer the consequences."

Melon

What does Bush do for his fellow countrymen except of rising the fear by using his huge propaganda machine? Dreadsox... listen... I am talking to Americans who say they have fear every time they see a plane up in the sky. What kind of freaking horror world are you living in? Yes, there was 9/11, but is that a reason to always fear, fear, fear? And what does Bush do against the fear? Does he try to help American citizens by saying "Well, folks we live in hard times, its a dangerous world, but its gonna be alright, don?t worry"? No. The very contrary. He pumps up the fear. He wants his nation to live in fear, in my humble opinion, so he can get away with everything he does. He ruins original American values by implemeting the so-called Patriot Act. Et cetera.

I have to respectfully disagree here. Every time the Pres. speaks to the nation about US security he speaks of "Being vigiliant, but live your lives normally." While I'm not exactly sure what this means, he does NOT turn up the "fear, fear, fear", as you put it.

The Patriot Act may or may not be excessive. It does allow for the tracking of would be terrorists' financial activities. Does it do more than that? Probably. Does it infringe upon my rights as an American per the framers of the Constitution? Maybe, but I can't say I'm concerned about that. I'll let the criminals sweat that one out. I'll trade in a few minor "freedoms" for a little more domestic security.

The thing is, domestic terrorism is still a new thing here in the States. Our leadership will make A LOT of mistakes before homeland security is anything close to perfect. GWB is the first US president forced to really deal with this issue. To say that he is uncaring or "doesn't give a shit" is an uninformed comment, to put it diplomatically.

More like they favor status quo... Any bets on what the UN vote would look like if these three "peace loving countries" were offered unconditional control of Iraqi oil reserves after Saddam was given the boot?

Hell, what should I expect of a man who launches a pre emptive attack?
He hasn't. He's threatened to do so if Iraq does not disarm.

Who, before of being elected, favoured death penalty and still does?

So do I. But what does that have to do with anything? The death penalty is reserved for murderers, who deserve a little of their own medicine.

Who has failed to implement decent gun control laws?
For the record, Clinton didn't do anything earth shattering on this issue in his 8 years either. In truth, we have solid gun control laws, they just aren't inforced well. Something about overcrowded courts and prisons.....

Who digs getting a mental orgasm over Star Wars? Its all bloody, bloody, his hands are full of blood.

blah blah blah

Ok. Guys, go have a coffee or something.
This forum was set especially for War, Iraq and G.W. A whole forum dedicated to the topic. Whole threads can be dedicated to really specific things, as in this case of suicide bombers. Please stick to the topic or it will be closed. Continue arguing and we can start warnings. Please keep cool guys.
To quote Dreadsox, this thread is about:
"...the [deeper] issue is these deeply religious people are leaving their families to die because they believe that there is a place in heaven for them for doing this."

Please stick to it.
Thankyou.

Back
Top Bottom