Go to Church, and improve you life - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 AM
Go to Church, and improve you life

hooray!

I am all for

spreading the "good news"

Quote:
"Christians Should Be Able To Be On Fire & Sexy"

(Portland) - Wednesday night worshippers flocked to the Easthill Church in Gresham to hear the word of God. But unlike its traditional Sunday service, the word on this night takes on a slightly different tone.

Instead of talking New Testament, Pastors Ted and Dianne Roberts talk sex. The title of tonight’s sermon-“Light My Fire”. It’s the first in a month series of sermons led by the husband and wife team. They call the series “Sexy Christians”.

“Everybody’s talking about sex…its part of our culture. So we need to address it within the context of a faith…says Pastor Ted Roberts. Pastor Robert’s wife says, “I think it helps us to talk about it because I think sex is something you usually do than talk about.”

The non-traditional sermons are part of the growing trend among churches across the country to address human sexuality. The Roberts do so by mixing Christianity with a little comedy.

Sondra Montcrieff who’s a church member says she’s excited and “Christians should be able to be on fire and be sexy and beautiful…”

Members of this congregation say they look forward to this series of sermons on sex and taking lessons learned in church home.

Paul and Wendy Schindler, who are also church members say, “…You learn something new. Learn it, try it, and practice at home, not in church though, right?

Old 10-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:17 AM
I doubt God is a voyeur. I also cringe at the thought of Him watching, or being 'there', and same goes for a bunch of church folk. There's no context in faith. It's a closed doors business.

Sheesh.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:17 PM
I would be scared to death if my pastor started talking about sex because he's my dad!

Old 10-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:17 PM
what's so wrong about talking about sex in church?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
what's so wrong about talking about sex in church?
If they want to have this kind of study, you know - "Celebrating God's gift of sexuality in the marriage", they really should do it as a specific Bible study instead of as a series of sermons. The reason? It leaves a lot of people out of the loop: singles, kids, teenagers, etc. As a single person, I know I wouldn't want to hear even one series on this, much less a series of sermons.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

If they want to have this kind of study, you know - "Celebrating God's gift of sexuality in the marriage", they really should do it as a specific Bible study instead of as a series of sermons. The reason? It leaves a lot of people out of the loop: singles, kids, teenagers, etc. As a single person, I know I wouldn't want to hear even one series on this, much less a series of sermons.
But, I'm assuming they want singles, kids teenagers - all fellow Christians who have the potential to become sexually active in ways that the church condones - to listen to their message because it will at some point in their lives become relevant. That's what being pro-active is all about, right? You teach kids about sex and reproduction when they are in fifth grade, not when they get married. Why would you not want people to feel comfortable approaching it from a Christian point of view?

I'm not saying I'm interested in these types of sermons either, but you're reasoning doesn't really make sense. It sounds more like it simply doesn't interest you, but that doesn't mean it can't be relevant.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

But, I'm assuming they want singles, kids teenagers - all fellow Christians who have the potential to become sexually active in ways that the church condones - to listen to their message because it will at some point in their lives become relevant. That's what being pro-active is all about, right? You teach kids about sex and reproduction when they are in fifth grade, not when they get married. Why would you not want people to feel comfortable approaching it from a Christian point of view?
If these sermons were simply along the lines of "God's plans for Sexuality", a discussion of the way God intended for sexuality to be, and the proper Christian response to it, that would be different. But that is not how the article paints these sermons.

Look at the words used to describe this series of sermons:

Light My Fire
Sexy Christians
Christians should be able to be on fire and be sexy
"You learn something new. Learn it, try it, and practice at home, not in church though, right?"

These sermons are most definitely intended for the married couples in the church.

Now, how is any of that relevant to kids, unmarried teenagers and singles, none of whom the church actually wants to engage in sex?

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I'm not saying I'm interested in these types of sermons either, but you're reasoning doesn't really make sense. It sounds more like it simply doesn't interest you, but that doesn't mean it can't be relevant.
It is not relevant to me. Not on any level. I am not married, nor do I want to be. If I were to change my mind, and I wanted to take a "Christian sex ed class", then I could go out and find such a class. I am not against churches having such classes for those who are interested.

But the worship service is not the time and place for these topics, because

(1) It does leave a large portion of the congregation "out of the loop".

(2) I am of the belief that every sermon needs to have a strong element of evangelism in it, because there are many unsaved visitors that come to the church. How do you inject evangelism into a sermon that is all about celebrating sexuality in the Christian marriage? I believe that most unsaved people would see no use for that sermon, and would not visit again.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:41 AM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Sex is a gift from God, the fact that anyone would see it in any other way baffles me.

Like any other gift it can be abused and misused.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:07 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Sex is a gift from God, the fact that anyone would see it in any other way baffles me.

Exactly. It's because we don't talk about it that we have all these problems. (Well, that's one of the reasons. I'd argue the biggest.)

I agree with LivLuv, too. Chances are youth/singles/whoever are going to have sex at one point in their lives, or at the very least have sexual feelings. To not talk about this is dangerous. Christians need to realize sex is important and, as BVS said, a gift from God. If that's the case, what do we do with it? He created us as sexual beings, what does that mean? These are big questions that demand answers.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:38 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:17 AM
Quote:

How tolerent
Old 10-06-2006, 05:46 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Sex is a gift from God
Anyone here read Theology of the Body by John Paul II?

It is brilliant stuff!
Old 10-06-2006, 07:32 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
no chance that the pleasurable aspects were simply an evolutionary addition to a basic reproductive act?

Old 10-06-2006, 08:36 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

no chance that the pleasurable aspects were simply an evolutionary addition to a basic reproductive act?

Stop reasoning and thinking for urself. It's a gift from God now shutup.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I'm sure you weren't referring to my post when you wrote this, because my post doesn't indicate anything different from your post.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

This topic doesn't really concern those of you who openly admit that you want nothing to do with Christianity at all (you know who you are), so it'd be quite okay with me if you'd take your snide remarks elsewhere - they don't really add to this discussion.