Go to Church, and improve you life - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Luna
well, sex is deffinitly something that should be discussed among christians, we are, after all, sexual beings just like the next person. and if we are to keep ourselves pure we have to understand our bodies and acknowledge its needs by understanding them not denying. but i strongly disaprove discussing it during worship time! it's something that should be discussed in smaler group, women to women and men to men.
duscussing it openly would perhaps disturb people like some of my friends from church who don't want to get married, and certanly it would make the weaker (and i do concider myself to be one of those ) to struggle....
In the churches I have attanded - sex is brought up in various Bible Studies, Men's and Women's groups, College and Career groups...etc. This just seems like a better place to learn this.

It seems a bit odd to have sermons on sex and sexuality with the entire congregation and visitors present.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
But 80s point still stands - what proportion of the congregation will find that relevant at that point in their lives? My grandmother, a very devout woman, wouldn't care, to be honest and I can't imagine any of my elderly, widowed relatives would either.

To me, anything in a Church that's specific to groups of people should be outside of the sermon. That's why we have youth groups, couples counselling, mothers groups and so on.
Exactly.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #33
Babyface

Local Time: 07:04 PM
agreed...
Old 10-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
But 80s point still stands - what proportion of the congregation will find that relevant at that point in their lives? My grandmother, a very devout woman, wouldn't care, to be honest and I can't imagine any of my elderly, widowed relatives would either.

To me, anything in a Church that's specific to groups of people should be outside of the sermon. That's why we have youth groups, couples counselling, mothers groups and so on.
You guys have a point. I've heard political sermons, and I could have done without the politics.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

You guys have a point. I've heard political sermons, and I could have done without the politics.
At my church, my pastor is very careful not to make political speeches. He may talk about things that are issues, such as abortion, but he never publicly supports a candidate, or even hints at anything like that.

Actually, I think a church could lose tax exemption if the pastor is found to have supported a particular candidate from the pulpit.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:08 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm wondering what exactly these people are "preaching" about.

Are they teaching about sex as something that should only be shared between a husband and wife? I hope so.

I also wouldn't be comfortable with a preacher telling me about how to heighten my sexual experience with my (hypothetical) wife. I can't imagine they won't be going into great detail about sex with a whole series of sermons dedicated to sex.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #37
Babyface

in my country they are not so strick as in US, apperantly, in the traditional churches it is alowed to say just about anything you like, without any greater consequences, but i'm glad pastors tend to keep their oppinions on polotical issues to themselves.
in my church things like sex or emotional or chemical addiction, all the 'taboo's' are discussed either on wensday family gatherings or in smaller, bible talk groups, wich i think is the right way to do it.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:51 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

the article did say it was a Wednesday night service

not at the Sunday services

so I imagine elderly single people would not bother to attend
I think this is a good point. I wonder how many people regularly attend Wednesday night services to begin with. . .
Old 10-31-2006, 09:18 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

They talk about sex in this church too, but some of that other stuff is scary. I guess it starts with the impression I get of how these men view women-yeah that's it.

Yes indeed being a "real man" is all about testosterone

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15488905/site/newsweek/

"When the GodMen band seized the stage again, they tore into an anthem called “Grow A Pair!”: “We’ve been beaten down/ Feminized by the culture crowd,” they sang. “No more nice guy, timid and ashamed/ We’ve had enough, cowboy up/ In the power of Jesus name/ Welcome to the battle/ A million men have got your back/ Jump up in the saddle/ Grab a sword, don’t be scared/ Be a man, grow a pair!” Said Tholstrup, as he surveyed the crowd: “If 200 men are feeling this, other men are feeling it too.” Which ought to provide enough testosterone for plenty of GodMen gatherings to come."
Old 10-31-2006, 09:36 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
They talk about sex in this church too, but some of that other stuff is scary. I guess it starts with the impression I get of how these men view women-yeah that's it.

Yes indeed being a "real man" is all about testosterone

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15488905/site/newsweek/

"When the GodMen band seized the stage again, they tore into an anthem called “Grow A Pair!”: “We’ve been beaten down/ Feminized by the culture crowd,” they sang. “No more nice guy, timid and ashamed/ We’ve had enough, cowboy up/ In the power of Jesus name/ Welcome to the battle/ A million men have got your back/ Jump up in the saddle/ Grab a sword, don’t be scared/ Be a man, grow a pair!” Said Tholstrup, as he surveyed the crowd: “If 200 men are feeling this, other men are feeling it too.” Which ought to provide enough testosterone for plenty of GodMen gatherings to come."
I don't like that.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:24 PM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I don't like that.
We agree again...
Old 10-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman

Stop reasoning and thinking for urself. It's a gift from God now shutup.
!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:04 AM
A Godman?

wow, that's a new one
sounds kind of cool

this could really take off

I'm a Godman! Buzz off!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:31 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict