Go Obama!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but if a major republican had made a sweeping generalization about a group of people this place would be ablaze with outrage.
Nah, on this topic I don't think so. Because for better and for worse Special Olympics is an issue with virtually zero political import--it doesn't touch on any of the classic political fault lines like race, gender, war, immigration, guns, the poor etc. I do think you'd probably get someone posting an article about it in an ongoing thread (like this one) and a couple :tsk: s in reponse, because any politician saying something like that comes across as out of touch on disability issues and that deservedly looks bad, insensitive. But "ablaze with outrage," no. Not saying that's where disability issues "should" rank in our collective political priorities, just that that's the reality of where it does. Frankly, there aren't enough people posting in here right now for infernos of outrage over much of anything anyway.

so, after last night's press conference, and whether you liked Obama's answers or not, can we at least agree to drop the whole "he just reads from the teleprompter" thing?

because he obviously knows his stuff. you might disagree with him, and that's fine, but we do not have a situation here like we did in 2001-9 where the Commander in Chief likely did not have command of the facts beyond what had been given to him in soundbyte form.

so, after last night's press conference, and whether you liked Obama's answers or not, can we at least agree to drop the whole "he just reads from the teleprompter" thing?

I don't think so. You mean for the Q&A or for the opening statement? Because the opening statement was read off a giant screen in the back of the room.

I've said it before- I don't understand the "he's such a great speaker" praises that he receives, especially from Republicans. I just don't see anything special about his speaking style. Last night was boring. He was repetitive, took way too many long pauses, and didn't directly answer a number of questions he was asked.

No, Bush wasn't the greatest at speaking, but clearly neither is Obama.

you might disagree with him, and that's fine,

It's OK to disagree with him? Wow. Tell that to the rest of your party.

I don't think so. You mean for the Q&A or for the opening statement? Because the opening statement was read off a giant screen in the back of the room.

I've said it before- I don't understand the "he's such a great speaker" praises that he receives, especially from Republicans. I just don't see anything special about his speaking style. Last night was boring. He was repetitive, took way too many long pauses, and didn't directly answer a number of questions he was asked.

dude, grow up.

a Bush press conference -- there were only 4 in 8 years -- was a series of canned answers to pre-selected questions.

no, Obama doesn't deliver the "i have a dream" speech in a presser, he answers questions. using facts. using arguments. his job is not to entertain in such a setting. that's probably why it was so boring to you (and way to take the immediate Drudge Headline). his job is to answer questions. which he did. repeatedly.

the "such a great speaker" comments, you see, are to do when he gives a prepared speech on a specific occasion that requires a specific speech. it could be a speech to a labor union, or it could be the SOTU.

you see, there's a difference between giving speeches and giving press conferences.

Have you ever watched a press conference before?

Do you think your boy Rush is a great speaker?

Rush doesn't have to be, unless he's running against Howard Stern. I don't get why people lump him in with politicians.

All specific issues aside it's a fucking relief to have a thoughtful President again.

There is a perceptive difference in a person searching for the correct way to articulate something and a person who is searching for a way to manufacture the 'something' in the first place.

Rush doesn't have to be, unless he's running against Howard Stern. I don't get why people lump him in with politicians.

Who said a president had to be? I wasn't comparing or lumping the two together, merely asking that poster because he keeps targeting Obama's speaking and gushing over Rush.

And this much is also "clear": he's short, fat and smells like cabbage.

1081.jpg

Angie Harmon: I'm Not Racist Because I Disagree With Obama

"Here's my problem with this, I'm just going to come out and say it. If I have anything to say against Obama it's not because I'm a racist, it's because I don't like what he's doing as President and anybody should be able to feel that way, but what I find now is that if you say anything against him you're called a racist," Harmon told Tarts at Thursday’s Los Angeles launch of the new eyelash-growing formula, Latisse.

"I do think McCain would have done a better job, only because I think he has more experience. I also think if W or John McCain or Reagan would have gone and done a talk show, the backlash would have been so huge and in his face, and ‘What is our president doing? How unclassy!’ But Obama does it and no one says anything, Then he takes a day off and shoots a few hoops", Harmon said.

Angie Harmon: I'm Not Racist Because I Disagree With Obama - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Well, now we know why models or former models shouldn't speak.:huh: Good lord, if you're going to try to come across as politically informed, you could at least learn to put an intelligent sentence together.

ETA: I've never heard one Obama supporter, including myself, even suggest that if one has political disagreements with Obama, he or she is racist. If Angie Harmon (or anyone) feels the need to tell us they're not racist, though, that's more telling than any actual racist comment they could make. So, in essence, thanks for admitting your latent racism, Ang!::down:

Personally, I almost always find the mere fact that someone feels compelled to preface a statement with "I'm not a racist, but..." suspicious in itself. Maybe that's just a consequence of my having grown up in the Deep South where "I'm not a racist, but...[openly racist sentiment]"-type statements were pretty ubiquitous, maybe not. At any rate, I certainly don't need such qualifiers to make my own decisions about someone's biases, let alone to evaluate the worthiness of the statements they preface.

That Glenn Beck stuff is some crazy shit too..what a surprise that he ended up on Fox. He made CNN even more of a laughingstock than it has already become.

Jon Stewart took on people "speaking crazy to power last night." Rep. Michele Bachmann recently said that President Obama is going to put our children in reeducation camps, and Sean Hannity congratulated her for her crusade against tyranny. Stewart followed this clip up with a litany of moves the Bush administration made to reduce American freedom, transparency, and state's rights, and said the pair were confusing "tyranny" and "losing."

But that's not all: Andrew Breitbart went on Sean Hannity's show and blamed Obama for his kids' school using the term "Potato Day" instead of "St. Patrick's Day." Stewart pointed out that this request probably didn't come from Obama himself, and that Potato Day is much more offensive than St. Patrick's Day.

Baracknophobia - Obey | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

Well, now we know why models or former models shouldn't speak.:huh: Good lord, if you're going to try to come across as politically informed, you could at least learn to put an intelligent sentence together.

ETA: I've never heard one Obama supporter, including myself, even suggest that if one has political disagreements with Obama, he or she is racist. If Angie Harmon (or anyone) feels the need to tell us they're not racist, though, that's more telling than any actual racist comment they could make. So, in essence, thanks for admitting your latent racism, Ang!::down:

Your last sentence is really a bit of a stretch.

I agree it's a stretch, but I do have to wonder, I've seen Angie quoted twice in two different interviews saying the same thing, and like Yolland said I do tend to wonder about those that always have to preface their statements like that...:shrug: but I don't really know much about her beyond her Law & Order role.

Not really. I'm not trying to say she's a member of the Klan. But, as yolland said (better than I), when someone has to start a statement, with something like "I'm not racist but," or something similar that tends to mean they do have some sort of prejudicial tendency or belief they don't want to admit to. When one has to put a clause like that in there, they clearly know what they're about to say is offensive and/or wrong, so they try to pass it off as not being so.

:lmao: ...then break a bottle over your head, even though you know half of them are trolls

Reader Comments - Washington Post - First Puppy Makes a Splash

Our real enemies are looking at this and rubbing their hands together in glee knowing America has a do nothing President.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obama or Teddy could have single-handedly saved millions of dogs on death row in shelters. That was the plan. Now, there will be a run on PWDs by people who should not own PWDs. Remember this...Portugese Water Dogs will start appearing in shelters in 3-6 months. How many will die over this choice. So much for "a mutt like me."
Shame on you Ted, and shame on you Michelle and Barack.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received this information as a ‘News Alert.’ ‘News Alerts’ are supposed to be used to convey breaking news of utmost importance. The new puppy does not warrant this definition. I’m very disappointed. You are no longer a legitimate source of news in my eyes. With all the important news happening around the world, clearly you can’t tell the difference between ‘news’ and ‘human interest.’

This is a time of year for hope and renewal. News of a puppy getting a loving home fits right in with that eternal human theme.

WTF was Obama bowing for anyway, if the sheik doesn't want to shake hands then fork him. Bowing is a sign of fealty in the Middle East dipstick. You do know what fealty means yes?

As for Obama's dog, who gives a crap beyond those who worship "The Obama" next you Liberal nutbars will be wanting daily updates as to what the critter ate, when and where it pooped and pee'd.

friggin uppity president. i thought was going to get a "pound dog" for his two brat daughters. (even though he says they are allergic to some dogs and oxygen and the stench of poor people).... this is no different than when our MESSIAH said he LOVED the public schools, but once again put his two brat daughters in the most elite of elite schools in washington d.c.
it looks like tiger woods has some competition... who is the most uppity."

Why a Spanish dog? Just another link to the Muslim countries.
Are there not good American dogs such as the American Cocker Spaniel. It was a great choice for the greatest president of all time
President Ronald Reagan

Last edited:
Obama passes the test

this is good news,

not afraid to take action, did not give in to terrorists, like Reagan and Bush

Obama twice approved force to rescue hostage

By JENNIFER LOVEN and PHILIP ELLIOTT – 26 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama twice authorized the military to rescue a U.S. captain who was being held by Somali pirates and whose life appeared to be at risk, administration officials said after Sunday's rescue.

The Defense Department twice asked Obama for permission to use military force to rescue Capt. Richard Phillips from a lifeboat off the Somali coast. Obama first gave permission around 8 p.m. Friday, and upgraded it at 9:20 a.m. Saturday. Officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations said the second order was to encompass more military personnel and equipment that arrived in the Indian Ocean to engage the pirates.

Somali pirates last week boarded the Maersk Alabama off the Horn of Africa. The crew fought back, but Phillips surrendered himself to safeguard his men. Navy ships soon were on their way to the area.

White House officials on Sunday said Obama received regular updates by phone and in person at the White House — including 11 memos — and during his daily intelligence briefings with senior officials. The National Security Council last updated the president on a contingency plan for Phillips at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, according to a timeline of events released Sunday afternoon by the White House.

The president was in the residence Sunday when officials called him to alert him the five-day standoff was over, officials said.

Shortly after, the White House released a statement praising Phillips' behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom