Go Obama! - Page 65 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #961
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
even to relatively routine procedures that in your country can bankrupt a family, which happens nowhere else in the world.

it bears repeating that the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the USA is medical bills.

why Republicans refuse to talk about this, i have no idea.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #962
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
It would mean they'd have to use critical thinking skills. I think we all know their track record in that department.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #963
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

From Drudge:

"Pelosi/Hoyer op-ed in Monday USATODAY calls townhall protesters 'un-American'... Developing..."

Can't wait to see what this materializes into tomorrow. Do these morons really think attacks like this will help their cause? It's truly baffling...
Old 08-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #964
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Do these morons really think attacks like this will help their cause? It's truly baffling...
I assume you're talking about the town hall protestors that are trying to obstruct the civil discourse of important issues?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #965
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i'd prefer they use the terms "unruly" or "uninformed" or "irrational" or "fuckin' crazy", as opposed to "un-american". reactionary, rove-ian phrases truly aren't going to do the democrats any favors. rush, beck, hannity, et al will run miles and miles and miles with this op-ed if the reports are true.

why can't the democrats organize their party for mass rallies IN SUPPORT of health care reform? and if they can't do it themselves, why can't they partner with labor unions, community groups, and other progressive groups to make it happen?

majority authorization has been taken off the table in the debate over the employee free choice act, and now i fear that obama's measly public option will soon hear its death knell. what a sad, pathetic excuse for a political party.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #966
Refugee

Quote:
From Drudge:

"Pelosi/Hoyer op-ed in Monday USATODAY calls townhall protesters 'un-American'... Developing..."

I guess not all 'community organizers' are created equal.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #967
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I assume you're talking about the town hall protestors that are trying to obstruct the civil discourse of important issues?
Uh, no. I'm referring to Pelosi calling them un-American. Bad idea, Madam Speaker.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #968
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
it bears repeating that the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the USA is medical bills.
Are medical costs artificially too high due to the lack of market forces? Yes. Are new regulations needed to keep people from losing coverage they thought they had? Yes.

But
But
But
But

Most medical bankruptcies are more about protecting assets and one's home. In fact, 40% of medically related bankruptcies were filed by people who owed $5,000 or less in medical bills. $5000. Maybe the single largest obstacle to true health insurance reform is that way too many people expect someone else to pay for their care.
Quote:

Republicans would point out that government run Medicaid and Medicare are bankrupting the entire country. How could expanding their role possibly be a good idea?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #969
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Uh, no. I'm referring to Pelosi calling them un-American. Bad idea, Madam Speaker.
Attempting to obstruct civil discourse of important issues is certainly un-Democratic.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #970
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I happen to agree with you. I don't even know what unAmerican means, it's some idiotic word bandied about by your politicians constantly.

I do think it's rather hilarious though, how up in arms you are about this. I don't recall you being upset when the right wing and neocons called everyone but them unAmerican and anti-American for the last 8 years. It's really, REALLY funny.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #971
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Most medical bankruptcies are more about protecting assets and one's home. In fact, 40% of medically related bankruptcies were filed by people who owed $5,000 or less in medical bills. $5000. Maybe the single largest obstacle to true health insurance reform is that way too many people expect someone else to pay for their care.
but it's not as if this happens in a vacuum.

i wonder if the data you reference indicate how many of those people have collectors knocking down their doors, or have liens placed on their possessions and lawsuits filed by hospital corporations. moreover, i'd like to know their income bracket, number of household incomes, number of dependents, geographic location to determine cost of living (rent, mortgage, groceries, energy, etc.), and probably a few other indicators to really have an idea of what that stat means. do you happen to know?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #972
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I happen to agree with you. I don't even know what unAmerican means, it's some idiotic word bandied about by your politicians constantly.

I do think it's rather hilarious though, how up in arms you are about this. I don't recall you being upset when the right wing and neocons called everyone but them unAmerican and anti-American for the last 8 years. It's really, REALLY funny.
I think it's hilarious how people are trying to call Obama fascist and are even bringing Hitler comparisons into the fold. Good to know they're taking the high road.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #973
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Attempting to obstruct civil discourse of important issues is certainly un-Democratic.
I see nothing wrong, and certainly nothing un-Democratic about people voicing the opinion (the majority opinion now, by the way) that they don't want this reform. Are constituents not supposed to voice their wants to their representatives? Chants of "read the bill!" is in no way over the line, especially when, you know, most people in Washington haven't read the bill.

Again, where are all the supporters of universal healthcare? Why don't they show up to these and have an actual debate? I think I know why. People in Congress don't want a debate. They want what they want and the concerns of the people back home are irrelevant.

A few nights ago my congressman was back home and had a town hall meeting. I saw footage of it on the news and it was as peaceful as can be. Know why? Because they're getting what they want from him.

This whole notion of "obstructing civil discourse" is getting absurd. Most footage I've seen on the news is not multiple people yelling and shouting and asking different questions all at once. Most of what I've seen is one person at a time speaking (in a loud voice, sure, because they're angry) a legitimate concern. The idea of "mobs" that is being thrown around is ridiculous.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #974
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I recall very, very few of those. Were they mainly about the Iraq War? Then yes, I disagree. Opposing the Iraq War was not un-American, unless you went so far as to harm the troops in any way or do something extreme.

...or say the war is lost.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #975
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:57 AM
Quote:
I recall very, very few of those. Were they mainly about the Iraq War? Then yes, I disagree. Opposing the Iraq War was not un-American, unless you went so far as to harm the troops in any way or do something extreme.

...or say the war is lost.
Bear in mind that there was an organised campaign against the Dixie Chicks.

Can you define 'do something extreme'?

In relation to your cute little spoiler, anyone who would say the war is lost is clearly an idiot, as the war is clearly won - it has achieved (unfortunately) its colonialist objectives of removing the government of Iraq, the conquest and murder of the Iraqi people and turning Iraq into a death camp, and stealing the oil.

That said, the larger neocon objective of conquering the entire Middle East is probably lost - thankfully. Iran and Russia have been discovered not to be the pushovers that AIPAC, the criminal organisation that hi-jacked large elements of the US government, and brutally murdered hundreds of thousands of people all around the globe in the advancement of an invented 'Global War on Terror', thought they were.