Go Obama! - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #616
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Guys, he's a fucking muslim, can't you tell?
oh yea! I forgot

Old 06-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #617
Refugee

Local Time: 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
What do you base this on?

There's no way the combined biases of Ed Shultz, Olbermann, Matthews, Maddow are less apparent than that of Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly, Van Susteren...

Again, there are far more liberals on Fox then conservatives on MSNBC. This cannot be disputed.
This is one of my biggest problems with Fox News. Guys like O'Reilly and Hannity spend half their show defending Fox and accusing every other station of being liberal as if fox is in the middle. Most of my conservative friends say that Fox is unbiased and I could not understand this until I saw O'Reilly's tactics of repeatedly telling that he his unbiased. Being liberal, I clearly see fox as being quite conservative, but I don't try and deny that MSNBC is quite liberal. There's nothing wrong with Fox being conservative, and nothing wrong with MSNBC being liberal. Everyone knows that's how it is. I don't know why Fox tries to deny that. In doing so they are just lying and being disrespectful imo.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:59 AM   #618
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishDawg View Post
This is one of my biggest problems with Fox News. Guys like O'Reilly and Hannity spend half their show defending Fox and accusing every other station of being liberal as if fox is in the middle. Most of my conservative friends say that Fox is unbiased and I could not understand this until I saw O'Reilly's tactics of repeatedly telling that he his unbiased. Being liberal, I clearly see fox as being quite conservative, but I don't try and deny that MSNBC is quite liberal. There's nothing wrong with Fox being conservative, and nothing wrong with MSNBC being liberal. Everyone knows that's how it is. I don't know why Fox tries to deny that. In doing so they are just lying and being disrespectful imo.

Again, we don’t have MSNBC in Australia so I have no comment on them and I’m happy to accept that they’re exactly the same but from the opposite angle, but agreed there’s nothing wrong with Fox being conservative. I’m all for intelligent conservative opinion. I’d be all for a decent news channel staffed with conservative hosts, if there’s a clear line between news and opinion.
But Fox ain’t it. It’s a terrible news channel, and a dumbed down opinion channel.

Their coverage of Iran as a good recent example – would you actually learn anything from watching Fox, or will you just see show after show, moronic host after moronic host, Kristol after Morris (on repeat – there doesn’t seem to be that many guests for them to choose from?), all just screaming about probably the least important part of the whole story - Obama’s reactions - trying desperately to push something very big and complex through the most narrow of US left v right ongoing fist fights. That’s all just meaningless rubbish and if either MSNBC or CNN are doing the same, they’re definitely just as bad.

I’m not American, so I don’t really care. I also get CNN (International version), BBC and SKY so I’ve got actual, real news channels. But if I were a conservative American, I’d be p*ssed off that this is my voice and my most public representation. Internationally it actually has become a symbol for American stupidity, endlessly mocked and sneered at. And it’s conservative, so by extension, it’s the US conservative voice and opinion that gets continuously laughed out of the room. Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck are your global ambassadors. And you wonder why global polls had Obama scoring something like 98-99% during the election.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #619
Refugee

Local Time: 12:16 PM
I used to watch O'Reilly every night until some of the things he said started to set off my bullshit detector. Like calling Geroge Carlin a "far-left comedian". Then i noticed how much he says "fox news leads CNN and MSNBC in the polls by 43543% blah blah blah" and "far-left this and far-left that" and constantly interupting guests. pretty soon i quit watching it and started looking at other sources of news. now i look at his show and think most of it is bullshit. my dad is still hopelessly devoted to the show.

it's pretty clever how he draws you in and says "oh well we just present both sides and you make up your mind". yeah ok
the "other side" being constantly interupted and make to look like the wrong side of the issue. and people who exercise their 1st amendment rights are "pinheads".
Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #620
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
I’m not American, so I don’t really care. I also get CNN (International version), BBC and SKY so I’ve got actual, real news channels. But if I were a conservative American, I’d be p*ssed off that this is my voice and my most public representation. Internationally it actually has become a symbol for American stupidity, endlessly mocked and sneered at. And it’s conservative, so by extension, it’s the US conservative voice and opinion that gets continuously laughed out of the room. Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck are your global ambassadors. And you wonder why global polls had Obama scoring something like 98-99% during the election.
exactly. having been in australia for a few days and also in nz for a bit now, i can definitely understand this. though thankfully, no one's assumed i'm the stereotypical stupid american or anything. but the news is so different, it makes me glad that when i'm home the only thing i'd consider watching anyway is cnn.

having grown up in a household where one parent is democrat and one is republican i certainly know not all republicans are complete idiots, though it can be hard at times to know this when their biggest public representation is fox news.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #621
Blue Crack Addict

I believe enough in that man's integrity that I don't question his belief in God. I see that as absolutely genuine. I don't think he's "religious" in the way that most in FYM define that-but not every Christian is, despite statements/stereotypes here to the contrary.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #622
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:16 AM
Quote:
Gov. Sarah Palin tells mag: I could beat President Obama... in running

By Michael Sheridan
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, June 30th 2009, 7:27 PM
Sipkin/News

Gov. Sarah Palin talks of her love for running, and how she could out-run President Obama,

Who would win in a race, Sarah Palin or Barack Obama?

President Obama

Governor Palin

If only all political races could be settled with a simple cross country run.

That's probably what Sarah Palin would want, anyway.

In a recent interview with Runner's World, the governor of Alaska expressed how she'd do in a race against President Obama.

"If [it] were a long race that required a lot of endurance I'd win," she said, boasting that while she may lack the physical strength to take on the President, she could outlast him by sheer will power.

"I betcha I'd have more endurance," she said. "If you ever talk to my old coaches they'd tell you, too. What I lacked in physical strength or skill I made up for in determination and endurance."

Although Palin did admit she likely wouldn't do well against Obama at basketball, the President's chosen sport.

"He towers over me and I wouldn't be complaining about an unfair advantage there," she said. "But maybe I'd do better playing H-O-R-S-E with him than one-on-one," she said.
betcha!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #623
War Child

Why's it always gotta be about race?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #624
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 07-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #625
Refugee

Local Time: 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
I used to watch O'Reilly every night until some of the things he said started to set off my bullshit detector. Like calling Geroge Carlin a "far-left comedian". Then i noticed how much he says "fox news leads CNN and MSNBC in the polls by 43543% blah blah blah" and "far-left this and far-left that" and constantly interupting guests. pretty soon i quit watching it and started looking at other sources of news. now i look at his show and think most of it is bullshit. my dad is still hopelessly devoted to the show.

it's pretty clever how he draws you in and says "oh well we just present both sides and you make up your mind". yeah ok
the "other side" being constantly interupted and make to look like the wrong side of the issue. and people who exercise their 1st amendment rights are "pinheads".
I agree with you completely. So many conservatives fall for the "no spin" and "fair and balanced" stuff. It's very frustrating at times trying to talk to republicans (which most of my friends are) about politics because they seriously think they have a fair, normal view of things when they are actually being very conservative.

I used to actually watch the O'Reilly factor for humor last summer up until around the election. That's when I found out that people actually took that man seriously, and I just couldn't believe it... It scares me actually.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #626
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
speaking of Bill O'Reilly and sanity:

YouTube - Bill O'Reilly Flips Out

Old 07-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #627
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Why's it always gotta be about race?

well played.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #628
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Obama, I'm sure, has been receiving a lot of pressure not to support an ally of Chavez, Zelaya. But I commend his values, his moral belief, and his superior legal knowledge. While Hillary has been impulsive to condemn the coup ocurred in Honduras, Obama, the smarter person, has been prudent in not condoning a course of action that negates everything democracy stands for.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #629
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:16 AM
I thought the liberals here would like this:

A Letter to Sarah by Jonah Goldberg on National Review Online

Quote:
A Letter to Sarah
Stay home and do your job and your homework.

By Jonah Goldberg

Dear Governor Palin,

You’re blowing it.

We haven’t met, but you might remember I was one of the first columnists to tout you for John McCain’s running mate. I cheered you mightily when Senator McCain selected you, and I still believe that you were the smartest choice he could have made given the obstacles before him. I’m also assuming you want to run for president some day.

There’s a reason why the Left and much of the media establishment hated you from day one. Some hated you out of the fear that you might stop Barack Obama’s unfolding coronation. Others because you seemed to expose the snobbery, arrogance, and ideological pieties of elite feminism. Your beauty, your status as a working mom, your blue-collar husband, your bravery in taking on the political establishment in Alaska, your proud status as a pro-lifer and mother of a special-needs child: All of these things were — and are — deeply threatening to a secular left-wing cultural elite.

All of this was an incredible compliment. Powerful people don’t fear the powerless. Remember how Mike Huckabee borrowed that Air Force maxim when he got grief during the primaries? “If you’re not taking flak, you’re not over the target.” Well, you were over the target.

But not anymore. Oh, you’re still taking flak, but not because you strike fear in the hearts of Democrats. You’re taking flak because you’re striking fear in the hearts of Republicans. For Democrats, fairly or not, you’ve become a laughingstock. And for some of McCain’s campaign managers, you’ve become a convenient excuse for their failures.

But while McCain’s strategists do not cover themselves in glory for scapegoating you, you are not without blame either. You do seem to think the best advice is for you to stay just the way you are. Leaders listen to the advice they don’t necessarily want to hear.

For starters, every time I see you on TV, you’re whining about unfair press coverage. Don’t get me wrong: Much of it is unfair, and some of it deserves a response. But it’s not presidential. It’s not even gubernatorial. You are constantly taking the bait, taking up the fights your biggest fans want you to take up.

But here’s the thing: Don’t listen to your biggest fans. Don’t alienate them either, but don’t think that because the Palin4Pres crowd cheers, you’re making progress. Politics is ultimately about persuasion, and you seem entirely uninterested in that, preferring instead to play the victim. Well, victims don’t get elected president. Ronald Reagan was a laughingstock for liberals and despised by the press. But he didn’t whine or take the bait.

Second, peddling a few platitudes and truisms about free markets and limited government is no substitute for really knowing what you’re talking about. Yes, you can talk well about the stuff you know — oil drilling, energy, etc. — but beyond your comfort zone, you fall back on bumper-sticker language that sounds fine to the people who already agree with you but is useless in winning over skeptics.

President Bush had the same problem you do, which is why there’s a hunger for Republicans who can effectively articulate and sell our policies and philosophy. That’s why the wonks have the upper hand. Mitt Romney, Indiana governor Mitch Daniels, Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal, and other hands-on types are what the party wants and, frankly, needs.

Here’s the good news: You have time. Here’s the better news: You have something no one else in the party has — charisma. And I don’t mean you have the most charisma like it’s a consolation prize for not being elected prom queen. If money could buy what you have, Romney would have bought it all by now. Good politicians can learn how to win over audiences, but the great ones are born with the ability. Reagan had it. Clinton had it. Obama has it. You have it. You are the “It Girl” of the GOP.

What you lack, you can learn. If knowing how to describe the situation in Pakistan or explain the “doughnut hole” in health-care coverage was all you needed to get elected, an intern with a subscription to The Economist could be president.

So here’s my advice. Stay home and do your job and your homework. You’ll still be a national figure come the primaries. But if you can’t surprise your detractors with your grasp of policy when you re-emerge on the national stage, you won’t win the nomination. More important, you won’t deserve to.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #630
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Well he's half right... That's probably the most intelligent response to Palin that I've seen from a conservative. Maybe there's hope for some of you yet...