Go Obama! - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #421
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
and everyone thought that invading Iraq would be a massive mistake .
Everyone? Watch what these Democrats have to say on the issue below:

YouTube - Democrats on Iraq + WMD's (Weapons of Mass Destruction)


Quote:
the whole "Pottery Barn Rule" brought up by Powell -- until Bush came along and fabricated a sense of crisis and urgency around Saddam Hussein.
Colin Powell supported the use of military force to remove Saddam from power in 2002, and has continued to support removing Saddam from power to this day. In an interview with Barbara Walters in 1995, Colin Powel said the following about using military force to remove Saddam from power:

"when the President says it was not tolerable for Saddam to remain in defiance of UN Security Council Resolutions, I am right there with him on the use of military force"


Quote:
he was as much of an angel in 2002 as he was in 1998 or in 1995. all that changed was a massive tragedy in New York that was exploited by the Bush administration who also sought to fabricate intelligence
Why do you think the Iraq Liberation Act was passed in 1998? Why do you think Bill Clinton said the following on December 16, 1998?

"The hard fact is, that so long as Saddam remains in power, he threatens the well being of his people, the peace of his region, the security of the world. The best way to end that THREAT, once and for all, is with a new Iraqi government. A government ready to live in peace with its neighbors."

President Bill Clinton - December 16, 1998


A lot more had changed between 1995 and 2002. The sanctions and weapons embargo had completely fallen apart by 2002. There was literally no monitering or inspections at all along the entire Syrian/Iraqi border by the summer of 2002. UN inspectors were kicked out of the country in 1998 after having been harrassed and prevented from doing much of anything in the 18 months prior to that point. Plenty of changes that impact the security situation, the question is are some people willing to read, understand, and acknowledge these basic facts.


Quote:
through WMDs or the torture of detainees to admit to the non-existent link between Saddam and Al Qaeda -- that would justify the invasion to the American public and to world opinion.
Polls done of the American people on the question of removing Saddam from power from 1991 to 2001 as well as from 2001 to 2003 shows that the majority of Americans supported using military force to remove Saddam from power.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/images/06/26/rel7c.pdf page 5


Quote:
it's quite clear by the administration's actions that they were enormously insecure about their rationale for invasion. after all, if they were so secure, why the massive intelligence failure?
Intelligence "failures" are very common. Just take a look at the intelligence about Iraq's WMD's prior to the 1991 Gulf War and what was found out after the 1991 war.

The issue is not actually the intelligence, but the Saddam regime's compliance. Intelligence because of its nature can always be debated, what was not debatable was Saddam's failure to comply with the resolutions and the Gulf War Ceacefire agreement he signed.

While certain WMD's of Saddam's were not found, there was no firm evidence that such WMD had been dismantled or completely disposed of by Saddam, only theory's as to what might of happened. In addition, WMD related programs that were in violation of the resolutions were found after the war.

Quote:
why the need to make Saddam and his weapons out to be a threat to people living in the US?
It was already widely acknowledged by the security community long before Bush ever became President that Sarin Gas and Anthrax could be smuggled into the country and used against the civilian population and cause enormous loss of life. To downplay or completely ignore such threats, especially in the wake of 9/11 would have been irresponsible.



Quote:
it's because no one ever wanted to invade to begin with. because it was a bad idea.
Actually, the Clinton Administration and Bush Administration disagree with you on that point. It was the Clinton administration that made regime change in Iraq US policy. It was the Bush administration that successfuly changed the regime in Iraq. Clinton's statement on December 16, 1998 was correct.

Quote:
now, some will say that either you invade, or you let Saddam ride a tank into Jerusalem and capture the Saudi oil fields. but that's a false choice. that's bad thinking.
The wrong policy would have been if the United States did not respond with force until Saddam was actually doing what he did in 1991, moving his military into neighboring countries, etc. The Policy of the United States and the world community since 1991 has been to have a policy in place to PREVENT those events from ever happening again, meaning the line in the sand is no longer the border of another country, but Saddam's compliance with disarmament and other issues related to the security of the region. Military action was used by both the Clinton and Bush administrations with this in mind. Both administrations came to the conclusion that the only way to achieve US security objectives in the region was by removing Saddam from power.



Quote:
and it was a bad idea because of what we've seen unfold since 2003.
The number of people that think it would have been a better idea to let Saddam stay in power gets smaller every day.
__________________

__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #422
Refugee
 
zooropop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Posts: 1,583
Local Time: 09:01 AM
^ Well thank god our president now was smart enough to oppose the war to begin with.

It doesnt matter who supported it. It was the presidents official decision (regardless of his party) to go to war because of WMD's. There were none. Therefore, it was a mistake to go to war. What has happened after is the GOP trying to rationalize and justify their war with other reasons other than the WMD case (as seen above). The president got approval to go to war because of his case for the WMD's, saying anything about Saddam in power is just ways of justifiying a war that most people believe to be a mistake. and to just say "well there have been tons of intelligence mistakes" is a lame excuse... especially when we have this much at stake. War should always be a last resort. and i think it is clear that the Bush administration cherry-picked information that was relevant to trying to prove a link between 9/11 and Saddam Hussein (which there isnt). Because of all this, We have lost a ton of respect in the world because of this war, we have lost millions of dollars, and thousands of soldiers. Was it worth it? I dont think so.

and I dont think it is a partisan issue about who originally supported the war. I disagree with dems and reps who supported the war originally, but at least the democratic party realizes that it was a mistake while the GOP still is trying to rationalize it. In my opinion, economically, socially, and foreign-policy wise, the democrats have smarter and more efficient policies than the republicans right now. Hopefully we will see this under the current president. I think that he will definitely do a good job, and I have faith in his judgment from what I have seen as to how the man handles himself in the past.
__________________

__________________
zooropop40 is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #423
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 09:01 AM
It's happened again... Biden opened his mouth. There are no words to describe this man.

Biden Reveals Location of Secret VP Bunker - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

Vice President Joe Biden, well-known for his verbal gaffes, may have finally outdone himself, divulging potentially classified information meant to save the life of a sitting vice president.

According to a report, while recently attending the Gridiron Club dinner in Washington, an annual event where powerful politicians and media elite get a chance to cozy up to one another, Biden told his dinnermates about the existence of a secret bunker under the old U.S. Naval Observatory, which is now the home of the vice president.

The bunker is believed to be the secure, undisclosed location former Vice President Dick Cheney remained under protection in secret after the 9/11 attacks.

Eleanor Clift, Newsweek magazine's Washington contributing editor, said Biden revealed the location while filling in for President Obama at the dinner, who, along with Grover Cleveland, is the only president to skip the gathering.

According to the report, Biden "said a young naval officer giving him a tour of the residence showed him the hideaway, which is behind a massive steel door secured by an elaborate lock with a narrow connecting hallway lined with shelves filled with communications equipment."

Clift continued: "The officer explained that when Cheney was in lock down, this was where his most trusted aides were stationed, an image that Biden conveyed in a way that suggested we shouldn't be surprised that the policies that emerged were off the wall."

In December 2002, neighbors complained of loud construction work being done at the Naval Observatory, which has been used as a residence by vice presidents since 1974.

The upset neighbors were sent a letter by the observatory's superintendent, calling the work "sensitive in nature" and "classified" and that it was urgent it be completed "on a highly accelerated schedule."

Residents said they believed workers were digging deep into the ground, which would support Biden's report of a secret bunker, but officials never confirmed the purpose of the work performed.

The revelation is the latest from Biden, who has a long history of political blunders.

Most recently, he said in a televised interview that if a family member asked him about traveling he'd advise staying away from public transportation or confined spaces to avoid swine flu -- a remark described as "borderline fearmongering" by an airline spokesman.
__________________
2861U2 is online now  
Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #424
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 09:01 AM
Apparently David Axelrod suggested calling the Obama's dog "Miss California." That's another example of how mean this administration is. It is filled with downright mean people, and they're running the country. I'm curious to see the reaction from the left, though to them, hatred is an everyday part of life.

Imagine if this was a Republican...
__________________
2861U2 is online now  
Old 05-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #425
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Apparently David Axelrod suggested calling the Obama's dog "Miss California." That's another example of how mean this administration is. It is filled with downright mean people, and they're running the country. I'm curious to see the reaction from the left, though to them, hatred is an everyday part of life.

Imagine if this was a Republican...
My suggestion is to stop concerning yourself with tabloid-style reporting and focus on actual administration performance.
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #426
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Apparently David Axelrod suggested calling the Obama's dog "Miss California." That's another example of how mean this administration is. It is filled with downright mean people, and they're running the country. I'm curious to see the reaction from the left, though to them, hatred is an everyday part of life.
I think you need a vacation from your outrage.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #427
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
My suggestion is to stop concerning yourself with tabloid-style reporting and focus on actual administration performance.
I hope you said this same thing when Palin and her family were being attacked for things with no relevance to her performance as governor.

And I do think this story is important. The top advisor to the President of the United States making fun of a private citizen who has been attacked by the far-left in this country for stating her beliefs is a big story. It shows the absolute contempt that people in this administration have for anyone who has different opinions, or beliefs that don't fall in line with "progressives." It's an embarrassment. Add to that Biden sticking his foot in his mouth every other day, and this administration is a circus. It's an embarrassment, and it's only been 100 days.
__________________
2861U2 is online now  
Old 05-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #428
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think you need a vacation from your outrage.
You don't think that's a mean thing to say, and totally uncalled for?

Outrage: An act grossly offensive to decency, morality, or good taste.

I think it's justified.
__________________
2861U2 is online now  
Old 05-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #429
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
I think it's justified.
Well then knock yourself out being outraged about what an administration staffer allegedly said about a beauty queen and a canine.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #430
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
I hope you said this same thing when Palin and her family were being attacked for things with no relevance to her performance as governor.
Trust me. There's plenty to talk about Palin that have nothing to do with her family or personal life.
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #431
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,016
Local Time: 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
It's an embarrassment, and it's only been 100 days.
don't be too embarrassed
as a non US citizen I can asure you that after 8 years of Bush it will take a lot more for anyone outside the US to even start paying attention
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #432
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Apparently David Axelrod suggested calling the Obama's dog "Miss California." That's another example of how mean this administration is. It is filled with downright mean people, and they're running the country. I'm curious to see the reaction from the left, though to them, hatred is an everyday part of life.
I agree. That is a mean thing to say. The poor dog has done nothing to deserve being slandered that way.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #433
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 06:01 AM
I heard the interview

they asked Axelrod if he was consulted in the selection of the dog's name.

He said he was called in for the fianl three.

They asked him what the other two names were.

He said, "Miss California" and "Rush Limbaugh's Kidneys".
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #434
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
"Rush Limbaugh's Kidneys".

Bad luck to name a dog after something that is going to die soon.
__________________
HyperU2 is offline  
Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #435
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 06:01 AM
.
__________________

__________________
deep is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com