Go Obama! - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #241
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
but if a major republican had made a sweeping generalization about a group of people this place would be ablaze with outrage.
Nah, on this topic I don't think so. Because for better and for worse Special Olympics is an issue with virtually zero political import--it doesn't touch on any of the classic political fault lines like race, gender, war, immigration, guns, the poor etc. I do think you'd probably get someone posting an article about it in an ongoing thread (like this one) and a couple s in reponse, because any politician saying something like that comes across as out of touch on disability issues and that deservedly looks bad, insensitive. But "ablaze with outrage," no. Not saying that's where disability issues "should" rank in our collective political priorities, just that that's the reality of where it does. Frankly, there aren't enough people posting in here right now for infernos of outrage over much of anything anyway.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #242
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:01 AM
On a positive note, the stock market did very well today.

<>

Old 03-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #243
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:01 PM
so, after last night's press conference, and whether you liked Obama's answers or not, can we at least agree to drop the whole "he just reads from the teleprompter" thing?

because he obviously knows his stuff. you might disagree with him, and that's fine, but we do not have a situation here like we did in 2001-9 where the Commander in Chief likely did not have command of the facts beyond what had been given to him in soundbyte form.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #244
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
so, after last night's press conference, and whether you liked Obama's answers or not, can we at least agree to drop the whole "he just reads from the teleprompter" thing?
I don't think so. You mean for the Q&A or for the opening statement? Because the opening statement was read off a giant screen in the back of the room.

I've said it before- I don't understand the "he's such a great speaker" praises that he receives, especially from Republicans. I just don't see anything special about his speaking style. Last night was boring. He was repetitive, took way too many long pauses, and didn't directly answer a number of questions he was asked.

No, Bush wasn't the greatest at speaking, but clearly neither is Obama.

Quote:

you might disagree with him, and that's fine,
It's OK to disagree with him? Wow. Tell that to the rest of your party.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #245
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
I don't think so. You mean for the Q&A or for the opening statement? Because the opening statement was read off a giant screen in the back of the room.

I've said it before- I don't understand the "he's such a great speaker" praises that he receives, especially from Republicans. I just don't see anything special about his speaking style. Last night was boring. He was repetitive, took way too many long pauses, and didn't directly answer a number of questions he was asked.

dude, grow up.

a Bush press conference -- there were only 4 in 8 years -- was a series of canned answers to pre-selected questions.

no, Obama doesn't deliver the "i have a dream" speech in a presser, he answers questions. using facts. using arguments. his job is not to entertain in such a setting. that's probably why it was so boring to you (and way to take the immediate Drudge Headline). his job is to answer questions. which he did. repeatedly.

the "such a great speaker" comments, you see, are to do when he gives a prepared speech on a specific occasion that requires a specific speech. it could be a speech to a labor union, or it could be the SOTU.

you see, there's a difference between giving speeches and giving press conferences.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #246
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:

Have you ever watched a press conference before?

Do you think your boy Rush is a great speaker?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 AM   #247
War Child

Rush doesn't have to be, unless he's running against Howard Stern. I don't get why people lump him in with politicians.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:55 AM   #248
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

All specific issues aside it's a fucking relief to have a thoughtful President again.

There is a perceptive difference in a person searching for the correct way to articulate something and a person who is searching for a way to manufacture the 'something' in the first place.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #249
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Rush doesn't have to be, unless he's running against Howard Stern. I don't get why people lump him in with politicians.

Who said a president had to be? I wasn't comparing or lumping the two together, merely asking that poster because he keeps targeting Obama's speaking and gushing over Rush.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #250
War Child

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Quote:

And this much is also "clear": he's short, fat and smells like cabbage.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #251
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 AM

Quote:
Angie Harmon: I'm Not Racist Because I Disagree With Obama

"Here's my problem with this, I'm just going to come out and say it. If I have anything to say against Obama it's not because I'm a racist, it's because I don't like what he's doing as President and anybody should be able to feel that way, but what I find now is that if you say anything against him you're called a racist," Harmon told Tarts at Thursday’s Los Angeles launch of the new eyelash-growing formula, Latisse.

"I do think McCain would have done a better job, only because I think he has more experience. I also think if W or John McCain or Reagan would have gone and done a talk show, the backlash would have been so huge and in his face, and ‘What is our president doing? How unclassy!’ But Obama does it and no one says anything, Then he takes a day off and shoots a few hoops", Harmon said.
Angie Harmon: I'm Not Racist Because I Disagree With Obama - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment
Old 03-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #252
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Um, ok Angie... What is with these Law & Order actors?
Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #253
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:01 PM
Well, now we know why models or former models shouldn't speak. Good lord, if you're going to try to come across as politically informed, you could at least learn to put an intelligent sentence together.

ETA: I've never heard one Obama supporter, including myself, even suggest that if one has political disagreements with Obama, he or she is racist. If Angie Harmon (or anyone) feels the need to tell us they're not racist, though, that's more telling than any actual racist comment they could make. So, in essence, thanks for admitting your latent racism, Ang!:
Old 03-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #254
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Personally, I almost always find the mere fact that someone feels compelled to preface a statement with "I'm not a racist, but..." suspicious in itself. Maybe that's just a consequence of my having grown up in the Deep South where "I'm not a racist, but...[openly racist sentiment]"-type statements were pretty ubiquitous, maybe not. At any rate, I certainly don't need such qualifiers to make my own decisions about someone's biases, let alone to evaluate the worthiness of the statements they preface.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #255
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 AM
I am not a racist, some of my Negro friends are black.