Go Obama! - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #226
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Nice, but not surprising, of you to think those with differing opinions should just shut the fuck up.
Um, no, but nice try...

Old 03-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #227
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:45 PM
I wonder if it would have been alright if he made an off color gay comment.

Stereotypes are wonderful things when it is not your identity group being targeted.

Yes he apologized, but, in my time in this forum, apologies, well, they have not been accepted for many others - like for example IMUS .....

Old 03-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #228
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post

Stereotypes are wonderful things when it is not your identity group being targeted.

Yes he apologized, but, in my time in this forum, apologies, well, they have not been accepted for many others - like for example IMUS .....

There does seem to be a hierarchy of victimhood right enough. You would think looking at some statements that have emanated from the US gay lobby that they believe that no group, in history, has ever been as discriminated against.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #229
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post

Well I think there is a difference when one has a history of such comments, and I do think there is a difference between a racial slur and using an unfortunate truth as self deprecation.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #230
Blue Crack Distributor

look i have no problem with what obama said, we're all a little too uptight about offending people here in america as it is...

but if a major republican had made a sweeping generalization about a group of people this place would be ablaze with outrage. it went nuts when someone who's job is to be shocking and outrageous, imus, said something shocking and outrageous.

if you're someone who gets their panties in a bunch every time somebody says something you deem to be offensive, at least don't be partial about it.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #231
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
but if a major republican had made a sweeping generalization about a group of people this place would be ablaze with outrage. it went nuts when someone who's job is to be shocking and outrageous, imus, said something shocking and outrageous.

if you're someone who gets their panties in a bunch every time somebody says something you deem to be offensive, at least don't be partial about it.
exactly.

had georgie boy done the same thing, every media outlet would have been set on fire with the news and people would be claiming he hated all disabled people.

i'm sure obama didn't intend to say it at all, and that he simply didn't realise what he was saying at the time...

dreadsox and financeguy bring up good points on this too.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #232
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Well I think there is a difference when one has a history of such comments, and I do think there is a difference between a racial slur and using an unfortunate truth as self deprecation.

That may be true...good point. IMUS was the only person I could think of at the time. However, he is a shock jock paid to say shocking things. The other is an elected official, paid to represent our country.

Maybe that balances out your point and mine.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #233
you are what you is

is this about the comment Obama made on the Jay Leno show?????

Jay Leno ????
where you go for all your in depth politcal discussion?????

no wonder he was the first president to appear on a show like that
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 03-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #234
Blue Crack Distributor

i think it's perfectly clear that barack obama doesn't care about handicapped people.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #235
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:45 PM

Quote:
While appearing on "The Tonight Show" to tout his economic plan, Obama -- who famously rolled a gutter ball while trying to woo primary voters last year -- told Leno that he had been practicing in the White House bowling alley and recently scored an unimpressive 129.

"It's like -- it was like Special Olympics or something," the president said, prompting laughter from the audience.

Obama called Special Olympics Chairman Timothy Shriver after the show to apologize and to express his admiration for the organization. Shriver accepted the apology and later said he hoped the gaffe would serve as an opportunity to knock down myths about people with disabilities.

His sister, California First Lady Maria Shriver, issued a statement expressing disappointment with the president's comments, as well as the laughter that followed it:

"While I am confident that President Obama never intended to offend anyone, the response that his comments have caused, coupled with the reaction of a prime-time audience, demonstrate the need to continue to educate the non-disabled community on the issues that confront those with a developmental disability."

Obama's comment also hit close to home for David Axelrod, the president's top political guru and a senior White House advisor.

Axelrod's daughter, Lauren, is a longtime Special Olympian who has competed in swimming and track and field events. His wife, Susan, was part of a delegation led last month by Vice President Joe Biden to the Special Olympics World Winter Games in Boise, Idaho.

"I think he was trying to make a comment about himself and his own skills, more than putting anyone else down," Susan Axelrod said. "We have been with him with Lauren, and he is nothing but totally respectful." Still, she called it an unfortunate comment.

"Knowing the president the way I do, I would assume that he is horrified that he said this, and I think he will make every attempt to make something positive out of it," she said.

But the president's joke was more than just the perpetuation of a cruel stereotype, Special Olympians said. It was factually incorrect as well.

A 129 score would keep the president off the medal stand at several Special Olympic bowling events, according to recent results.

Brothers Rich and Ted Olson have participated in the Games for more than three decades and don't have enough space in their suburban Glen Ellyn, Ill., home for all their medals and ribbons. The Olsons, whose scores typically run in the 140s and 150s, didn't find the joke offensive, but Rich laughed when he heard the president's score.
"That's not very good," he said. "It wouldn't beat us. He needs to practice."
to medal in the Special Olympics one needs to bowl in the 140s and 150s.

I guess 129 would be a typical Special bowling score.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #236
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post

There does seem to be a hierarchy of victimhood right enough. You would think looking at some statements that have emanated from the US gay lobby that they believe that no group, in history, has ever been as discriminated against.

you're right. i never speak up for anyone other than gay people. not even once.

it's not like i even spent any time trying to point out the many different sides to Don Imus, or have taken relatively (in here) unpopular positions that many describe as anti-Palestinian.

your above statement is far more blanketing and filled with stereotypes and wishful thinking than those "statements" that you attribute to the "US gay lobby."

cite your sources?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #237
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
you're right. i never speak up for anyone other than gay people. not even once.

it's not like i even spent any time trying to point out the many different sides to Don Imus, or have taken relatively (in here) unpopular positions that many describe as anti-Palestinian.

your above statement is far more blanketing and filled with stereotypes and wishful thinking than those "statements" that you attribute to the "US gay lobby."

cite your sources?
I said 'US gay lobby', not 'Irvine511', but as you seem to want to personalise it, probably the most glaring example I can think of is the hyperbolic statements that have been made equating the slavery that Africans were subject to with gays not being allowed to legally marry.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #238
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I said 'US gay lobby', not 'Irvine511', but as you seem to want to personalise it, probably the most glaring example I can think of is the hyperbolic statements that have been made equating the slavery that Africans were subject to with gays not being allowed to legally marry.

tell me, what is the "US gay lobby"?

and, again, where are these hyperbolic statements?

while you're at it, google "jumping the broom."
Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #239
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:45 PM
YouTube - We The People Stimulus Package
Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #240
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

The xenophobia was a bit too much, couldn't make it pass the first 30 seconds...