Go Obama! - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:24 AM
the fact that a released GITMO prisoner returned to combat really is not saying much, it really is not surprising at all.

If you were held uncharged for 5 years and received harsh interrogation (tortured ).
You might want these people out of your country, or would you want them there gathering up more people?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #197
Refugee

Local Time: 08:24 AM
LOL, this is nothing compared to the thousands upon thousands of those that have been, or are currently being released in Iraq.

We have guys that have been rounded up 3/4/5 times. How do we release those guys? Well, it's pretty simple. If you haven't killed a coalition soldier or civilian, you're free to go. Now, what if you killed an Iraqi civilian, soldier or policeman? Then we turn you over to the Iraqis. Most prefer to stay in the american prison.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #198
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
the fact that a released GITMO prisoner returned to combat really is not saying much, it really is not surprising at all.

If you were held uncharged for 5 years and received harsh interrogation (tortured ).
You might want these people out of your country, or would you want them there gathering up more people?
It's not surprising because they were captured during combat, and for generally being fucking assholes, not for the random lock ups you suggest. 700 prisoners out of the thousands we've fought? Yeah it's not surprising that we are unable to release some back to their own countries because they'd be killed. Gitmo is their best option. The people that want those assholes out of their country are the Afghans and Iraqis.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:46 AM   #199
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
This is huge.

It was mind- boggling to me how Bush-Cheney empowered themselves to pick and imprison anyone, for any length of time , without charging them.

Back to the original point. Obama is ending a phrase, not a phase. Gotta love "change".

Obama admin. to end use of term 'enemy combatant'

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration said Friday that it is abandoning one of President George W. Bush's key phrases in the war on terrorism: enemy combatant. But that won't change much for the detainees at the U.S. naval base in Cuba — Obama still asserts the military's authority to hold them. Human rights attorneys said they were disappointed that Obama didn't take a new stance.

The Justice Department said in legal filings that it will no longer use the term "enemy combatants' to justify holding prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.

"This is really a case of old wine in new bottles," the Center for Constitutional Rights, which has been fighting the detainees' detention, said in a statement. "It is still unlawful to hold people indefinitely without charge. The men who have been held for more than seven years by our government must be charged or released."
Old 03-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #200
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:24 AM
Of course it won't change the status of existing detainees. This is more about the future. How we deal with the existing detainees will be a delicate situation, a damned if you do damned if you don't type of situation thanks to Mr. W.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #201
War Child

That could be changed but it won't be thanks to Mr. O.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 AM   #202
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

How do you figure?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #203
War Child

The article goes on to state numerous complaints from Rights groups. Check those out. I'm not going to argue a case for it because I'm happy with it. He changed nothing and dicked over those who support him. Lap it up.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:02 AM   #204
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm glad you're happy that we can't do that anymore, it's a step forward.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #205
War Child

Well, last night was kind of "special".
Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #206
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Well, last night was kind of "special".
Yes. "Crickets..." are heard here in FYM. Nothing.

I wasn't offended, but I do wonder if W had made the same joke about the Special Olympics, and what the reaction would be.

Of course W didn't appear as a sitting President on a late night talk show. He did give up golf though...
Old 03-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^ He was off his prompter, what do you expect?

I'm glad to see him getting beat up (although only slightly) over this. Lord knows what would have happened if this had been President Bush.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #208
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
^ He was off his prompter, what do you expect?

I'm glad to see him getting beat up (although only slightly) over this. Lord knows what would have happened if this had been President Bush.

shockingly predictable.

yes, it was a stupid comment. he's taking heat for it. we're all moving on.

it's not like he invaded the wrong country, insulted our allies, exploded the deficit, read My Pet Goat while 3,000 people were murdered on the streets of New York, watched New Orleans drown, or trumpeted his anti-intellectualism as some sort of badge of honor.

but go ahead and carp about some sort of double-standard. it's about as effective as refusing stimulus money and doing fuck-all else about the current economic situation as you hope it gets worse while biding your time in 2012 for that dream Palin/Jindal ticket.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #209
Refugee

Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
Yes. "Crickets..." are heard here in FYM. Nothing.

I wasn't offended, but I do wonder if W had made the same joke about the Special Olympics, and what the reaction would be.

Of course W didn't appear as a sitting President on a late night talk show. He did give up golf though...
Ha yes. I came in here yesterday to see if there was any discussion of it but it seems not.

Having said that it's stupid when people get on their high horse about comments like these. PC bullshit.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #210
Blue Crack Supplier

what does "PC" even mean anyway?

is it just an uncomfortable truth that Special Olympians are bad bowlers?