Go Home Human Shields, You U.S. Wankers... Iraqi Citizens topple main Saddam Statue - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2003, 03:20 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Out of interest, I wondered if anyone else saw the banner referred to in the subject of this thread? It was shown on Sky News and it was interesting because the words "Human Shields" were printed onto a banner in black type and the words "go home us ******" had clearly been added afterwards as they were painted on in red paint. Just wondered if anyone else had seen it?

Old 04-09-2003, 03:31 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:07 AM
Talking about the wankers? Just tell me how many Iraqis are able to spell that word

Interesting insider source, Man Inside The Child. Keep me updated.

Old 04-09-2003, 03:34 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Talking about the wankers? Just tell me how many Iraqis are able to spell that word
Probably more than the number of Brits and Americans who could spell in Arabic! (Sorry guys, but you have to admit that in general Britain and America suck at languages in comparison to the rest of the world...)
Old 04-09-2003, 03:40 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:07 AM
great thread Headache.
This is must be a tough day for the Bush Haters -no matter how much they deny it

DB9
Old 04-09-2003, 03:42 PM   #50
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:07 AM
With the block of information from the outside world with the iraqi information minister, how are they familiar with the terms "human shield" and "wanker"? This seems odd.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:45 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I doubt though that Iraqis use vulgar words in the same way like us, Supastar. After all, many believe in the Koran.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:46 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Man Inside The Child
according to my brother-in-law, who is the chief correspondent for bloomberg news in the middle - east, there are only a few hundred people chanting in the streets (not as many as CNN tries to portray). but it is no surprise to him that CNN has exaggerated yet another report. he also has the feeling that most of the paraders are paid off by the americans. He says that most people are too scared to do anything and nobody wants the americans around. Most people he talks to say that they don't want saddam but they don't want the americans to come and take their oil.
Great post. What do you think, diamond?
Old 04-09-2003, 03:53 PM   #53
War Child

Local Time: 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Sorry but your oil argument doesn't hold water. So we get some oil from Iraq. We also get oil from Nigeria, which is in Africa. Wasn't someone in this thread bitching and moaning earlier about why we don't go in to Africa? And we had to increase our oil supply from Iraq because there was a shortage from Venezuela due to a strike there.

And if I recall correctly, Halliburton has been cut from the running for the Iraqi rebuilding process.
I used facts and figures and you are just using empty comments. If you can show me how the US isn't reliant on foreign oil, then do so. I am not in here bitching and moaning because Bush is NOT invading Africa because I am complaining about the invasion of Iraq. Why would anyone who was against the war in Iraq complain because the Bush administration wasn't also invading Africa? That doesn't make any sense.

Wherever we get our oil [Iraq, AK or Venezuela] it doesn't change the FACT that oil will be the end reward for Bush & Co.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:02 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by YellowKite
Wherever we get our oil [Iraq, AK or Venezuela] it doesn't change the FACT that oil will be the end reward for Bush & Co.
It is not FACT, it is SPECULATION. There are plenty of easier ways to be financially rewarded as President. I would believe the whole idea that Bush invaded Iraq for his personal gain when he shaves his head, moves into a secrete lair and has a miniature clone made.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:03 PM   #55
The Fly

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

As soon as an African country gets a real pain in the ass, the leader of the free world will not care about invading, breaching international law, and about how many civil "casualities" it may take. After all the example has been set. Now he can afford anything. After not being charged for breaching international law one time, why should the administration be charged another time?
You seem to care much about international law. It's dying now. I mean, of course, CERTAIN things like for instance SOME bilateral treaties or international maritime rules will remain but on the whole... U will agree that to a great extent international law is fiction. It's based exclusively on voluntariness. It just registers on paper the current state of affairs. My deep conviction is that unless there is balance of forces, international law loses much of its ... hmmm....utility. What we have now? A great and ONLY superpower with no counterweight. A superpower that gets irritated (to put it mildly) when countries like let's say Guinea do not support the superpower in the UNSC. There are two options as I see it:
1. History shows that all empires crumbled, they were not able to carry their own weight. There is a possibility that the only existing empire will destroy itself. Thus, the balance will be restored.
2. Until it happens, we will witness the law dictated by the only superpower. Will it be Lynch law?
Old 04-09-2003, 04:04 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:07 AM
Have a nice future Iraq people, you deserve it after the victims you had after de bombings and after 30 years of dictatorship.

( And in this 30 years almost every country in the world did trade with Iraq , even Disneyland )

Read you,...
Old 04-09-2003, 04:05 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
great thread Headache.
This is must be a tough day for the Bush Haters -no matter how much they deny it

DB9
By "Bush Haters" I'm assuming you mean people who are anti-war? (btw, what about those who voted for Bush but don't support his war drive?) Anyway, speaking as someone who's anti-war, I don't think this has been a "tough day" - I don't think that the events of today were ever unexpected, the US has the biggest military in the world and there was only ever going to be one conclusion to this conflict, that is a victory for the US/UK forces.

I hope now that today will mean an end to all the fighting and that no more innocent lives will be lost in this war. I feel happy for those people who celebrated the removal of Saddam Hussein and I only hope that their hopes for a democratic and free Iraq can be fulfilled.

Honestly, diamond, I'm just happy that it seems Baghdad won't undergo yet another night of bombing and its citizens won't be forced to endure another night of fear and possible injury. For that reason alone, it's definitely not a "tough day."
Old 04-09-2003, 04:08 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

that its energy requirements continue to increase.

The argument that oil was a motivation for the US in this war isn't just that the US wants access to the oil (ie to trade with Iraq) it's that it wants control of the oil reserves so it can decide who gains access to them.
I could make a stronger argument that Russia and France were opposed to the war because of the oil, than can be made for the US starting a war for oil. Shall we do this debate again?

France and Russia ABUSED opposed us at the Security Council for their access to the oil. Do I need to list the numbers of times they blocked efforts to improve sanctions. DO I need to list who started violating the flights into Baghdad that the Security COuncil had passed resolutions on?

There is FAR FAR more evidence that these two nations have made their choices for the good of their own needs.

Peace
Old 04-09-2003, 04:09 PM   #59
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:07 AM
so why not attack France or Russia? They get their oil from Iraq too which is why they didn't want to go to war with them. And those weren't facts. Those were YOUR facts.

As for how many people are REALLY in Iraq partying, I'm sure alot of them are too afraid to come out after the last time we screwed them over.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:14 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
But what gives the US the right? Is it fair to all the countries in Africa and around the world who are oppressed by tyrants?

Many more countries.....like Burma? Rwanda?

I guess I can't answer factually because I haven't studied them as much. Burma deals with itself. Its citizens die all the time because of its own government. (They had a civil and regular war at the same time, generally not a recipe for success.)

One thing I can add, is a synopsis of the answer to the question I asked Mary Robinson (former UN high commissioner of human rights).

Me: Today it is obvious terrorism is still a real threat to Americans (this is when we had orange level threat), how do you feel humanitarian efforts could quell terroristic uprisings in places like Indonesia?

Ms. Robinson said that she feels as though by giving humanitarian effort only to those who support us just creates a greater hate. She said we should help the people on either side, and that will help them not want to kill us all so much. She cited the division of religion, that if the US still wants to be seen as non-secular, we should act like we are.

The only "problem" with that is the whole supporting the opposition idea.....it's utopian in my opinion.