Go Home Human Shields, You U.S. Wankers... Iraqi Citizens topple main Saddam Statue - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2003, 11:49 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Is that Diamond?
it just might be... i didn't know he was vacationing in northern iraq

a spontaneous parade has broken out in dearborn, michigan... the town with the largest iraqi-american population in the united states.

Old 04-09-2003, 11:56 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap

Is it fair to all the countries in Africa and around the world who are oppressed by tyrants? There are many many more countries like Iraq around the globe that may never see the light of day because there is no personal benefit to be had from liberating them.
Could someone please answer this question though? I pose it often and it gets ignored

Old 04-09-2003, 11:58 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:25 AM

now, let's just stabilize the country, get formal elections held, and get the hell outta there.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:00 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I am exited by the view of happy iraqis as well. I am thrilled they looted Basra's government offices and such. They deserve that.
However, I don't like how people twist these things to make it look like anti-war people are crazy.

My unchaging view is there could have been a way to have these people celebrating without having to kill thousands of them as well.

I think the term "pro-war" is ridiculous. That's just me. How could someone ever condone use of destructive weapons to start a war against someone who never touched you?
War = death...it should only be started at the VERY last resort. This was not a last resort war.

You and me both, Basstrap. My sentiments exactly. Now we have to "pay the piper", so to speak. A massive humanitarian crisis is developing right now. Was this *absolutely* the only way to solve this problem? I'm not convinced.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:01 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Could someone please answer this question though? I pose it often and it gets ignored

well, it is possible that if the u.n. wants any kind of stature any more they will get off their ass and actually DO something regarding those situations.

but you see basstrap, if the u.s. were to intervene in those places as well, the outcries would just begin again that the u.s. is out to colonize the world.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:06 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:25 PM
Quote:

Your question can be read two ways:

1. You can only justify the war in Iraq if you are prepared to remove each and every evil dictator around the world.

2. The world community owes it to other countries with evil dictators to invade or otherwise remove said evil dictators.

The suggestion that Bush has personal gain from invading Iraq is unsupportable.

Starting with Iraq will have global strategic significance. The message should now be clear to other evil dictators - change or be changed. The same strategic significance may not have been gained by starting with another country.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:10 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:25 AM
Quote:

I donīt really care whats fair and whatnot, you know. I think you should be careful what questions to ask. Would you prefer the troops to roll all over Africa? The fact is that thereīd be benefits. Just not enough benefits to justify very expensive military action. And after all, it is more easy to keep African countries under control with HIPC etc., so why make a war? Just because there are some corrupt cruel leaders? Come on.

But you know, we will see. As soon as an African country gets a real pain in the ass, the leader of the free world will not care about invading, breaching international law, and about how many civil "casualities" it may take. After all the example has been set. Now he can afford anything. After not being charged for breaching international law one time, why should the administration be charged another time?

I am very happy for the Iraqis who are celebrating. I sincerely hope the end of war is near, I doubt it, but who knows. Iīd be the first one to celebrate the downfall of Saddam.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:11 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Starting with Iraq will have global strategic significance.
Exactly. Thats a very negative point, in my eyes.

You may trust the leader of the free world, I donīt.

Not because he is from the U.S., but becuse of the history of foreign politics, and because some parts of Europe have learned their lesson about trusting leaders.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:13 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:25 PM

Quote:

I am exited by the view of happy iraqis as well.
My unchaging view is there could have been a way to have these people celebrating without having to kill thousands of them as well.

I think the term "pro-war" is ridiculous. That's just me. How could someone ever condone use of destructive weapons to start a war against someone who never touched you?
War = death...it should only be started at the VERY last resort. This was not a last resort war.
We werent "Pro War"..
Saddam was Pro War.
We were and still are -
-Pro Iraqi Freedom
-Pro Iraqi Human Rights
-People against ppl being oppressed.

Were glad you are "exited" Basstrap.

DB9
Old 04-09-2003, 12:18 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:25 PM
Quote:
Sometimes war is the only way you can stop stuff like this.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:24 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

I donīt really care whats fair and whatnot, you know. I think you should be careful what questions to ask. Would you prefer the troops to roll all over Africa?
I think you misread me
if you have been reading my posts at all lately you will know that I, of course, do not want the US bombs anywhere near the third world.
I was merely questioning the legitimacy of the pretense for this war...to liberate iraq. A pretense which only came to surface, really, after the war had started when Bush realized he had better prepare for the possibility of them finding no WMD...which is actually the main pretense of this war
Old 04-09-2003, 12:29 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I think you misread me
if you have been reading my posts at all lately you will know that I, of course, do not want the US bombs anywhere near the third world.
Sure, Bassy, donīt worry, I havenīt misread you.

Fact is that there is no reason to fight a war in Africa at the very moment. The people there die of AIDS, all the continent is weak. Theyīll give in to about everything. Why waste bombs, soldiers and money when you can get the rich natural resources of African countries for free?
Old 04-09-2003, 12:30 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

basstrap: they will find them. give it time. it might take a few months.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:31 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
basstrap: they will find them. give it time. it might take a few months.
Who will find whom, if I may ask?
Old 04-09-2003, 12:33 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:25 PM
Yes they will find the WMDs.

Eventually the hope is to stabilze Africa too.
Dont think Im discounting the urgency.

DB9