Gnosticism, Syncretism, Christopaganism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
Does anyone here have any experience with or opinions on syncretic religion?

Have you ever read or do you have an opinion on the Gnostic Gospels?

I'm currently reading some excellent literature about the pagan roots of Christianity and am looking for ideas and input.

With COEXIST figuring so prominently in the shows, I thought that Bono would be more sympatico to this approach, but his quotes in the Assayas book clearly document his belief in the *exclusive* divinity of Jesus, a claim that doesn't really wash with me.
Anu

Mods: please do not move this post to the GOAL IS SOUL. Thanks!!!

When it comes to conflicts between Palestinians and Israelies, I think we all believe in coexistence.

Honestly, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any Christian culture that isn't involved in some sort of syncretism. Early conversion methods and the traditions derived thereof pretty much rely on taking pre-Christian ideas and presenting Chritianized counterparts into the culture to alleviate difficulties of assimilation.

Anu said:

With COEXIST figuring so prominently in the shows, I thought that Bono would be more sympatico to this approach, but his quotes in the Assayas book clearly document his belief in the *exclusive* divinity of Jesus, a claim that doesn't really wash with me.

Do you mean Jesus himself is exclusively divine or Jesus is the only being that possesses any degree of divinity? Sorry, I know it's a little off-topic, but I'm just wondering what you meant....

Bono says in the Assayas book (In Converstation) that Jesus is *the* son of God, not *a* son of God. The messiah. So, yes, I meant exclusive of other messiahs.

This is what many, but not all, Christians believe, and it has led to much bloodshed over the centuries.

There's a thread in the GOAL is SOUL that details Bono's statements from that section of the book.

Anu said:
Bono says in the Assayas book (In Converstation) that Jesus is *the* son of God, not *a* son of God. The messiah. So, yes, I meant exclusive of other messiahs.

This is what many, but not all, Christians believe, and it has led to much bloodshed over the centuries.

There's a thread in the GOAL is SOUL that details Bono's statements from that section of the book.

Thanks! I just wondered b/c that's what I assumed you meant at first, but then I read it again and it sounded like maybe you were saying Bono said Jesus is exclusively divine, as in, entirely divine and not human at all, but that's an entirely different debate, yadda yadda yadda...

I thought I'd respond to this thread after hearing a lecture on syncretism in one of my classes yesterday. I can't say I'm against syncretism b/c Christianity is so syncratic already. Baptism, the Sabbath, the Passover, Easter, Christmas, circumcision, monogamy, etc - all important sacraments/rituals of Christianity have cultural roots that pre-date the Christian meanings given to them.

who or what is syncretism. it sounds fucking scary.

nevermind, i'll visit wikidpedia, the great big book of everything.

"Reconciliation or fusion of differing systems of belief, as in philosophy or religion, especially when success is partial or the result is heterogeneous."

http://www.answers.com/syncretism&r=67

It's basically like different religions allowing one to influence the other, or a religion allowing a culture to influence it. I think it might be impossible to find a religion that has never been influenced by some degree of syncretism. I'm having trouble thinking of a Christian ritual or traition that is unique to Christianity alone...

Back
Top Bottom