"Global War On Women " - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:29 PM
"Global War On Women "

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...lede27.art.htm

"Islamist terrorists have formed the last, great boy's club, meeting in caves and warning girls to stay out — or, in the case of the 9/11 hijacker Mohammed Atta, demanding that women be kept from his grave to avoid polluting it. Their vision offers women fewer rights by far than those enjoyed by the wives of the prophet Mohammed. They are women-hating sadists for whom faith is an excuse. Their fears are primal."

"We do not think of our troops abroad as fighting for women's rights. But they are. This is the titanic struggle of our time, the liberation of fully half of humanity. Islamist terror is only one aspect of it. But we can be certain of two things: In the end, freedom will win. And no society that torments women will succeed in the 21st century . "

Old 09-27-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:29 PM
How could you hate women?

Old 09-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Fear of a superior being.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

vagina dentata.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:37 PM   #5
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
We do not think of our troops abroad as fighting for women's rights. But they are.
Right, that's why we overthrew the most progressive regime in the Arab world where women's rights were concerned, while the least progressive one remains our closest ally in the region. And since the proposed new Iraqi constitution will most likely grant Iraq's various ethnoreligious groups far more autonomy at the regional level--not to mention its designation of "sharia" as a "main source" of law--women's rights watchdogs following this situation have, in fact, generally been very far from enthusiastic.

Also...not that this pertains to our troops...but in some regions like Chechnya and, to a lesser extent, Palestine, quite a few suicide bombers have been women. It would be interesting (though I suppose impossible) to know what their response to this might have been. That blood is thicker than ink, perhaps?

Quote:
But we can be certain of two things: In the end, freedom will win. And no society that torments women will succeed in the 21st century.
I'll stand by my hard-earned skepticism, thanks, Mr. Peters.

Yeeesh, this guy's prose is so purple Prince could paint with it, or am I just having a bad day?

Quote:
The bad news is that this is a truly global struggle involving not only Islamist thugs terrified by female sexuality, but also reactionary forces in our own society. The Global War Against Women is still being waged on the home front, too.

Without questioning the integrity of those who believe that life begins at conception, the struggle to overturn Roe v. Wade can also be viewed as an attempt to turn back the clock on women's freedom. Opposing such a reversal isn't a matter of thinking abortion admirable, but of accepting the magnificent revolutionary principle that no man has a right to tell any woman what she can or cannot do with her body.
Well, I do like this part...but I bet Laura Bush stopped reading when she got to it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
vagina dentata.
Yes, it's always funny until someone loses...ah, never mind.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

Right, that's why we overthrew the most progressive regime in the Arab world where women's rights were concerned

I'm sure being subject to torture and rape that's sanctioned by the secret police and government makes it oh so progressive on women's rights.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
Forum Moderator

You missed my point by a mile, but never mind...I knew when I wrote that that someone would be sure to twist it out of context.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:45 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonoftelepunk
I'm sure being subject to torture and rape that's sanctioned by the secret police and government makes it oh so progressive on women's rights.
Do you have evidence to back this up, or are you merely regurgitating popular stereotypes? Because if you looked beyond this as a matter of "good versus evil," you would realize that Saddam Hussein belonged to a class of secular Arab dictators from the late 1960s, which included Libya, Egypt, Syria, and Iraq. Qadhafi belongs to this class of dictator, and the U.S. and the rest of the world are eager to pounce on his country's oil now that he's officially renounced WMDs.

So, frankly, it isn't about human rights and it isn't about democracy, but that's besides the point. While this class of dictator would clearly do anything to remain in power, anywhere from killing to torturing dissidents to sucking up to global superpowers, one of the things they were also noted for was their secular attitude towards women's rights and their downright rejection of Islamic law. When Libya's puppet parliament passed a sweeping law to limit the rights of women to keep it in line with the Koran, Qadhafi literally ripped the bill in half in front of them.

In terms of Iraq for women, Saddam Hussein was not a saint by any stretch of the imagination, but for women, he was the only thing preventing Muslim clerics from prescribing Sharia law and punishments on them. And now their worst fears are happening: they have a "democratic" government wishing to prescribe Islamic law, more or less, and for women who do not want to stay at home, shit out a litter of babies, and run around in burqas, there's nobody to protect their right to ignore popular interpretation of the Koran.

Here's a good link on the subject, if you even bother to read it:

http://hrw.org/backgrounder/wrd/iraq-women.htm

Melon
Old 09-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

thanks melon.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:04 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Fear of a superior being.

I am woman...hear me roar. Lemme at them terrorists I'll personally kick their asses
Old 09-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Quote:
"War makes the rights of women completely erased and poverty comes after war -- and women pay the price," said Fatma Nevin Vargun
Old 09-28-2005, 11:44 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
How could you hate women?

Wow...... I feel bad for men like that.
I mean, really.

He's missing out on a lot.

As nbc said, a superior being. Imagine never being able to enjoy life alongside of women...

that would be horrible.

=====

I wonder if that explains rape... that sort of... hate involved, I guess... hmm......
Old 09-29-2005, 12:25 AM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by For Honor

Wow...... I feel bad for men like that.
I mean, really.

He's missing out on a lot.

I'm curious as to why you quoted me?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:59 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Your quote made me think about what it would be like to live life hating women.

I didn't mean to imply that you hate women or anything like that.

I do not feel bad for "you", the post isn't about you...

unless you're a... well..... one of those people mentioned in the article, or similar, etc.

hmm......
I guess I should have started with "wow, I can't imagine men living their life hating women" or something like that. IT wasn't exactly "from point a to point b", so to say. I guess I left out a dot to connect, lol

sorry about that
Old 09-29-2005, 01:15 AM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by For Honor

sorry about that
No, that's cool, I just wanted to make sure you didn't misunderstand me.