Giving anything up for lent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Like O2

She wore graaaapes
I'm giving up interference! Yep, 40 days without posting or lurking.

The Grammy's are gonna be the toughest, but I'll make it.

I'll still be on AIM and you can always find me at likeo2@interference.com

Only 48 more hours before I leave, yikes!

------------------
"See, the rock star gets his way! Thank you very much. This feels very Elvis. Thank you."

Bono ~ Houston, Texas 4-02-01

I'm taking ON moderation. I know that sounds dumb, but believe me, it's not something I do well. I tend to binge like a madman. Lucky for me, I have a relatively fast metabolism. Still hopefully I'll learn the importance of moderation. I started fasting yesterday, to go from Sunday to Ash Wednesday, four days to represent 40. So good luck to all of us with our goals and sacrifices!!
Love,
SloMo

but i like like o2 posting

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

i was going to try and give up extraneous cheese but i decided that wasn't really going to make me a better person. i am going to try to go to mass at least one day a week in addition to sunday. and i'm going to try and stop swearing and biting my nails.

[This message has been edited by Screaming Flower (edited 02-11-2002).]

I'm not Catholic, so I'm keeping all my vices.
wink.gif

sweets. mmm...delicious sweets. not that i can't stand to loose a few pounds here and there...but in reality, Jesus DID sacrifice a lot for me, so giving up sweets for Jesus shant be a problem for 40 days.

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+fabulous+

The Edge, it's a direct object.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I'm not Catholic, so I'm keeping all my vices.
wink.gif

I'm not Catholic either, but I'm still Christian and Christ still made a sacrifice for me.

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+fabulous+

The Edge, it's a direct object.

Originally posted by Lilly:
I'm not Catholic either, but I'm still Christian and Christ still made a sacrifice for me.

errrm...I'm a Christian too and Lent is something my family has never celebrated. I wouldn't even know the first thing about it. Sorry if that's offensive.

I am a Protestant myself, but I usually make some significant sacrifice during lent. Two years ago, I gave up beer, which is, in effect, giving up alcohol, since beer is the only alcohol I drink. Last year, I "took up" running, every day, regardless of the weather. THAT was rough. I haven't decided this year, but I have considered giving up all of you (the web-based community known as www.interference.com ).

~U2Alabama

Forty days, wow. Well, have a good one. Thanks for always being so friendly all the time Eileen. Take care.

Lent is observed for the 40 days before Easter, in which Christians sacrifice (giving up certain things, as you have read in the previous posts, fasting, and abstaining from meat etc.) - as Jesus sacrificed his life on the cross. I believe it is for 40 days because Jesus fasted in the desert for 40 days before starting his public ministry.

Originally posted by RavenStar:
What is Lent anyway?

I have to decide quickly...the past two years it has been soda pop. That was tough, but I'm up for a bigger challenge this time.
One year, my dad gave up watching WWF, but he didn't really miss anything important.

I'm willing to give up... my virginity.

Damn, its just one of those things you can't give up twice.

Ant.

Whoops, I just posted this topic in Lemonade Stand! Maybe I should give up posting topics twice...
rolleyes.gif

I haven't decided what to give up yet. My priest last year talked about how giving up chocolate/pop/chips etc, for 40 days is pretty pointless. (Just his opinion, don't flame me!) He suggested trying to start a good habit instead, like not having road rage or being nice to 2 strangers a day or taking the money you spend on coffee and snacks every day and giving it to a worthy cause. I think I might try to go along those lines. Anyone else?

Guess I don't have much time to decide!

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

you can also use it as 40 days to DO something like volunteer or something. Its just some way of making an effort to do something extra for 40 days.

I'm going to try not to say anything negative about New Jersey for 40 days. Weird I know, but right now Jersey really has it out for me.

I have officially decided to give you, the web-based community known as www.interference.com, up for Lent. No posting, no trolling, no alternate identities.

Effective at sundown today, this Ash Wednesday, until on or after the day marking Christ's Resurrection, Easter Sunday (March 31), I will not be around. I will be checking e-mail.

If you have any issues you wish to resolve wiht me beforehand, I would suggest addressing them before the clock of this forum reads 3:00 p.m. Pacific time.

Have a great Ash Wednesday/Lenten season/Maundy Thursday/Good Friday/Easter, Passover, St. Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day, Presidnets' Day, Black History Month, and/or whatever else you observe in the next 6.5 weeks.

SAVOR THE ABSENCE.

~U2Alabama

I don't wish to offend anybody, but is this really what lent is about? Internet, candy? Seems so... oh I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom