Given the recent US election results... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Will the Republicans continue slandering the Democrats as terrorism appeasers?
Yes, the Republicans have become addicted to the politics of fear. It's all they know how to do 29 82.86%
No, the Republicans will learn the lessons from the results and stop slandering their opponents 2 5.71%
The Democrats ARE terrorist appeasers. I believe everything Karl Rove tells me. 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Given the recent US election results...

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

(1)Many Dems (not all) want to give terrorist suspects trials in the American court system rather than military trials.

(2)Dems do not want terrorists to be subjected to "waterboarding" even though Investigative Reporter Bob Ross discovered that it's actually bery effective in obtaining vital information.

Sounds pretty soft to me.
Egads. I'm shocked.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:54 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Given the recent US election results...

Quote:

(1)Many Dems (not all) want to give terrorist suspects trials in the American court system rather than military trials.

Democrats respect the rule of law. OMG. Let's vote them out!

How can anyone think this way is beyond me.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Given the recent US election results...

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Let me tell hwo people can think this way. The average American jury person and the average judge have no clue about issues of the military or about terrorism. That is why suspected terrorists should be subjected to military trials, not the American court system.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #19
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Normal Wow. Just...wow.

Quote:

(2)Dems do not want terrorists to be subjected to "waterboarding" even though Investigative Reporter Bob Ross discovered that it's actually bery effective in obtaining vital information.

Sounds pretty soft to me.
Let me rephrase those two points for you:

(1)Many Dems believe in the right to a fair trail regardless of who you are.

(2)Dems are against the torture of prisoners.

Boy, what outlandish positions!

Old 11-12-2006, 09:37 PM   #20
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Given the recent US election results...

Quote:

Let me tell hwo people can think this way. The average American jury person and the average judge have no clue about issues of the military or about terrorism. That is why suspected terrorists should be subjected to military trials, not the American court system.
Yes, but the average American jury person is more than capable of determining guilt or innocence if given the pertinent information in a trial. Are you saying that it's too difficult to determine innocence or guilt in a trial by jury system? And how is it more difficult to determine the guilt of a terrorist than say, an American murderer?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Wow. Just...wow.

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Let me rephrase those two points for you:

(1)Many Dems believe in the right to a fair trail regardless of who you are.
And a military trial is unfair in what way? What would be a miscarriage of justice would be to have a suspected terrorist be judged and sentenced by average Americans who have no clue about military issues.

Quote:
(2)Dems are against the torture of prisoners.
Dems are against making a terrorist think that he's about to die so that we can get info from him that could save innocent lives.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Given the recent US election results...

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I didn't say "no trial", I said "military trials", and that IS the rule of law in the states. We've been doing that for a very long time.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:59 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:24 PM
I think the key word which keeps popping up here is "suspected" which means we don't know for sure if they are or not. Hence, the trial to determine their guilt. A trial in which the evidence is not withheld from the accused and their defense. A trial which is open and where the accuser, judge and jury aren't the same entity.

Guantanamo has released many "suspected" terrorists over the years along with the jails in Iraq run by the US because they realized the people they rounded up were not "suspected" terrorists after all. So hopefully, none of those people were subjected to waterboarding since apparently they were innocent. But then again, lawsuits are pending.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #24
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Re: Re: Wow. Just...wow.

Quote:
Dems are against making a terrorist think that he's about to die
There are alot more than just Democrats who are against that. And as someone who is so vehemently pro-life I'm more than a little shocked that you're ok with this. Pro-life/pro-torture seems an unlikely coupling, no?

Quote:
so that we can get info from him that could save innocent lives.
Key word "could." As in, it could possibly save innocent lives, or it could possibly be a lie said out of desperation to stop the torture. And that is what it is, make no mistake about it. You can rationalize it all you want, but in the end you are condoning torture.

You don't find any problem reconciling your Christian faith with your pro-torture stance? I am honestly baffled how ANYBODY could so easily condone torture and even pretend to walk the Christian path. More than that, I'm a bit baffled that one could be ok with such outstanding cruelty to another human being and then dare to point out someone else's allegedly "sinful" behavior that harms no one.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Re: Re: Re: Wow. Just...wow.

Quote:

There are alot more than just Democrats who are against that. And as someone who is so vehemently pro-life I'm more than a little shocked that you're ok with this. Pro-life/pro-torture seems an unlikely coupling, no?

Key word "could." As in, it could possibly save innocent lives, or it could possibly be a lie said out of desperation to stop the torture. And that is what it is, make no mistake about it. You can rationalize it all you want, but in the end you are condoning torture.

You don't find any problem reconciling your Christian faith with your pro-torture stance? I am honestly baffled how ANYBODY could so easily condone torture and even pretend to walk the Christian path. More than that, I'm a bit baffled that one could be ok with such outstanding cruelty to another human being and then dare to point out someone else's allegedly "sinful" behavior that harms no one.
No fucking kidding.

Absolutely spot on post.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Great post Diemen!!!

80's your generalizations and projections are absolutely appalling...
Old 11-12-2006, 11:42 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

excellent post Diemen!
Old 11-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #28
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Are we looking at the first African American President, or are we looking at the new Ronald Regan ala 1980 rescuing the party.
No, we're looking at John McCain becoming president. He'll use his pseudo-maverick status to become president and ultimately be as ineffectively duplicitous as you'd expect from a Republican president.

I've lost an awful lot of respect for him over the last six years. He strikes me as all image and no substance.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:47 PM   #29
War Child

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Given the recent US election results...

Quote:
I didn't say "no trial", I said "military trials", and that IS the rule of law in the states. We've been doing that for a very long time.
Yes, and FDR loved military tribunals because they assured guilty verdicts.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #30
She's the One

Local Time: 02:54 PM

Quote:

Eagerly awaiting an answer to this one.