Give it up for Bush (for once)! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2002, 10:10 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:04 AM
1. This may be the only time I can say I agreed with W. but I disagree with "under God" as a Christain I refuse to speak those words while resighting the Pledge at my Township meetings.

Old 11-14-2002, 10:36 PM   #17
us3
The Fly

Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I find that most of the people making these anti-Islamic remarks are in no position to comment; their own "Christian" beliefs are quite extremist and repugnant to start with.

But I can't say I'm an Islam lover myself. I have a few choice comments I just keep to myself.

Melon

why, keep them to yourself?

Old 11-14-2002, 11:42 PM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
Hello,

What response are you expecting then? I, for once, fully support his remarks and totally agree with your subject line here. (Religious) Extremism is bad, be it from the Islamic, Jewish, Protestant, Catholic or whatever faith.

C ya!

Marty
See Deep's comments. THanks.

Boywonder
Old 11-18-2002, 12:15 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:04 AM
hey, now theres something i can agree with.

falwell is not a christian in my eyes. in fact, i find it so hard to be a christian in my own way, it kinda hurts sometimes. theres people that arent christians that hack you down for your faith, and theres people who are "christians" who tear you to bits too.

:S

i think maybe i shouldnt pay attention to the outside world as much, and be more secluded. it would be easier on me.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:08 AM   #20
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:04 AM
I have to say that though I do not quite agree with the style and tone used by Falwell and Robertson, much of what they say is based on historical fact. Yes, the majority of Muslims living in the U.S. are peaceful, but what about the ones in other countries. Let me say that there are also peaceful ones in other countries, but often, others do perpetrate crimes against humanity. For example, the years long war in Sudan is waged by the Muslim led governement in an attempt to quash Christianity and animism in the south of the country. Indonesia has had constant problems with Muslim mobs rioting and burning hundreds of churches. Few if any Muslim countries have any religious freedom. There is a far cry between Robertson saying that many Muslims are not peaceful and the Muslim clerics who cry out for Jewish and Christian blood. I have yet to see a Christian pastor call for a fatwa against somebody (correct me if I am wrong here) The recent attempted stoning in Nigeria is not a product of some Falwell led mob, but of an implementation of sharia'a law. I know I will probably get castigated over these observations, but I know that what I am saying is fact, not an opinion. I am only giving a background from which Robertson and Falwell are speaking. I did not see what they actually said, but I am sure they probably said something before those words that set them in context. Of course this does not excuse the actual words they used, but I believe it is helpful to everyone if people actually listen and watch what is going on in the owrld instead of reacting without having the slightest clue. Andi in response to deep, It is not helpful to go back and fling stones and compare religions. But, on a side note, Islam was born a religion of conquest unlike the spread of Christianity in the Roman Empire. The Crusades can hardly be called Christian. However, Mohammed himself conqured to spread his new religion. To say it was born peacefully is a direct contradiction to what history tells us.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:35 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:04 AM
Hello,

Quote:
Originally posted by Ft. Worth Frog
I have yet to see a Christian pastor call for a fatwa against somebody (correct me if I am wrong here)
Although I've never been there, from what I hear I'd suggest you should go to Northern Ireland for a while. Whichever side you're observing, they're both Christian.

Quote:
But, on a side note, Islam was born a religion of conquest unlike the spread of Christianity in the Roman Empire. The Crusades can hardly be called Christian. However, Mohammed himself conqured to spread his new religion. To say it was born peacefully is a direct contradiction to what history tells us.
Why can't the Crusades be called Christian? I'd say they were very Christian, as the religious leaders called for the Crusades to conquer Jerusalem. Maybe the actions of the Crusaders weren't very Christian, but they did it because of their religion.

C ya!

Marty
Old 11-21-2002, 04:28 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
Why can't the Crusades be called Christian? I'd say they were very Christian, as the religious leaders called for the Crusades to conquer Jerusalem. Maybe the actions of the Crusaders weren't very Christian, but they did it because of their religion.
The crusades were not born out of Christian theology, they were not a teaching of the religion. Power and politics were the drivers of the crusades.