Give a Legitimate Argument For McCain, Against Obama - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #76
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,690
Local Time: 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock


Why? That's the extent of the argument. I'm giving my perceptions on a discussion board based on historical evidence. I'm not saying it's fact and even if I was, it'd still be my opinion that it's fact.

I specifically said that Obama shouldn't be precluded from running based on drug use, and I specifically said that him being elected wouldn't ruin the country. Nor did I say anyone else was any better. So why is this an issue?
Um. OK...
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock


A discussion board is not a court of law. We're not writing history books, we're giving opinions.
Fair enough.

In that case your opinion that the momentum is the reason Obama is running is specious.
__________________

__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #78
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,211
Local Time: 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


Fair enough.

In that case your opinion that the momentum is the reason Obama is running is specious.
It'd be specious if it wasn't for the fact I knew he'd be running in 2008 the minute I saw him on TV in 2004.
__________________
Snowlock is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock


There I can do them too. What is that supposed to convey?

What is your goal here anyway? Your initial post seemed to be to ask about both candidates equally. You are only taking issue with the suppositions about Obama, and not Hillary or McCaine. Were you looking for opinions or justifications for your own opinions anyway?
It's supposed to convey my increasing frustration with your utter refusal to give a legitimate reason for thinking Obama was running just to become a black president or to see if he could do it.

My goal here was to hear and debate arguments that weren't about Obama's lack of experience and lack of "substance besides 'Change! Hope!'" I even thanked abomb-baby for contributing on page one.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock


It'd be specious if it wasn't for the fact I knew he'd be running in 2008 the minute I saw him on TV in 2004.
And all of last year, where he trailed Hillary by double digits nationally and essentially in every state, he was running on this powerful momentum that was going to propel him to what? An obvious defeat?
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Give a Legitimate Argument For McCain, Against Obama

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock
I never said I could! You quoted me yourself and you missed it the second time through as well. I'm not going to teach you history or how to read but I'll give you a third shot.
I quoted you again and bolded the part where you made the radical accusation that Obama's only running to see if he can become a black president and "ride the wave."

Why do you think this? What reasoning did you use to come to this conclusion? What has Obama done to indicate this is his motivation?
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #82
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,211
Local Time: 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


And all of last year, where he trailed Hillary by double digits nationally and essentially in every state, he was running on this powerful momentum that was going to propel him to what? An obvious defeat?
When he was trailing in the electicion campaign I new he'd be kicking off back in 2004 through my specious reasoning you mean?

I never said he'd win or even intimated on how well he'd do. Objection, your honor, counsel is drawing conclusions.
__________________
Snowlock is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 07:32 PM
I honestly don't understand half of what you're saying.

You claim he is running because of momentum. I don't think there was anything like momentum until Iowa. What happened in 2004-2007 was a media fascination with the guy, but it was certainly nothing as large scale as to call momentum. Perhaps you decided back then that he'd run - how that shows that he is running BECAUSE of momentum, I'm not sure. Unless you want to impute intention on him.

And FYI, "counsel" is an American invention.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #84
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,211
Local Time: 06:32 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Give a Legitimate Argument For McCain, Against Obama

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


I quoted you again and bolded the part where you made the radical accusation that Obama's only running to see if he can become a black president and "ride the wave."

Why do you think this? What reasoning did you use to come to this conclusion? What has Obama done to indicate this is his motivation?
Dude seriously. Fourth time. The wave is the reasoning. The mere fact that he's running indicates the motivation. If I don't look at it from that perspective, the only other is this "hope" business, even though we don't know what he is hopeful for.

And no, you've got it backwards, I think he's running to become president to ride the wave first and foremost, not because he's black. Many politicians would go the same route he did if they had such a splashy win in '04. Has nothing to do with the color of his skin. The color of his skin only gives it historical significance.
__________________
Snowlock is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #85
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,211
Local Time: 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I honestly don't understand half of what you're saying.

You claim he is running because of momentum. I don't think there was anything like momentum until Iowa. What happened in 2004-2007 was a media fascination with the guy, but it was certainly nothing as large scale as to call momentum. Perhaps you decided back then that he'd run - how that shows that he is running BECAUSE of momentum, I'm not sure. Unless you want to impute intention on him.

And FYI, "counsel" is an American invention.

The mere fact that there was media fascination with the guy between 2004-2007 lead to his candidacy. He would not be here today were it not for media attention following his senate victory. And yes, it was as large of scale to call it momentum. The guy went from absolutely unknown to among the top of American consciousness overnight and somehow in the intervening years managed to stay there.

As to counsel as an American invention, okay but what does that have to do with anything? You were bringing legal propriety into the discussion yet started to draw your own conclusions which anyone in the legal realm knows is a cardinal sin.
__________________
Snowlock is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #86
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,211
Local Time: 06:32 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Give a Legitimate Argument For Mc

That was a punch? I guess I could see how when I was speaking in general terms, a person took it specifically, and I'll own that one. Yet it's interesting that you quote BVS yet I hadn't spoken to him previously.
__________________
Snowlock is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #87
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Give a Legitimate Argument For McCain, Agains

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock
Dude seriously. Fourth time. The wave is the reasoning. The mere fact that he's running indicates the motivation. If I don't look at it from that perspective, the only other is this "hope" business, even though we don't know what he is hopeful for.

And no, you've got it backwards, I think he's running to become president to ride the wave first and foremost, not because he's black. Many politicians would go the same route he did if they had such a splashy win in '04. Has nothing to do with the color of his skin. The color of his skin only gives it historical significance.
What the hell are you talking about? I'm asking why you think he's using the wave to run. You can't say he's using the wave to run because he's using the wave to run! That doesn't make sense! Why do you think he's using the wave to run? Why do you think his motivation isn't changing America for the better?

That's literally the exact equivalent of me saying Rush Limbaugh is a racist because he's a racist.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #88
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,211
Local Time: 06:32 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Give a Legitimate Argument For McCain, Agains

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


What the hell are you talking about? I'm asking why you think he's using the wave to run. You can't say he's using the wave to run because he's using the wave to run! That doesn't make sense! Why do you think he's using the wave to run? Why do you think his motivation isn't changing America for the better?

That's literally the exact equivalent of me saying Rush Limbaugh is a racist because he's a racist.
God almighty. Stick with baseball.
__________________
Snowlock is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Answer my question, please.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 02-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,496
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


And all of last year, where he trailed Hillary by double digits nationally and essentially in every state, he was running on this powerful momentum that was going to propel him to what? An obvious defeat?


see, this is what people are missing.

he's winning for a reason. she started out with way more money, way more name recognition, and she's literally in bed with a very popular, very successful ex-president. she's one of the faces of the now dearly missed 1990s peace and prosperity. she is a certifiable superstar in the democratic party and surely one of the most famous women in the world. they had every reason to run her, in the beginning, on a sense of inevitability. the moment she won the Senate in 2000 everyone knew she was going to make a run for the presidency. and her entire Senatorial career has been micromanaged with extreme prudence given to the larger picture -- her eventual presidential run.

and he's totally beaten her in every aspect of this campaign. someone with only one "real" campaign under his belt. and he's done it fair and square.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com