Giuliani PERSON OF THE YEAR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonite

I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
Well, It's final.. Rudy is Person of the Year.. Check teh Link.... http://www.time.com/time/poy2001/index.html

In my opinion, a well done choice, Though I was pulling for Bush.. i guess the editors at time couldn't give that much praise to the republicans... Hah.. But anyways, I'm smiling at seeing this.. There were so many people involved with this tragedy to give the award to.. firefighters... people on the overturned plane.. . But Rudy I think sums up all their efforts, by setting the 'attitude' of New York towards this disaster.. Cheers.

I agree. I don't follow politics much, but I saw the press conferences and interviews with him, and I thought his calm but determined demeanor was exactly what was needed.
He seems like a tough guy, which I'm sure is a must if you're the mayor of New York, but he also showed that he is very sensitive to the needs of the people. I don't know much about his past, but I respect the man for how he handled this disaster.

That's great. He is such a ood guy. He's had the roughest of all years too. Wow. he really had to overcome a lot. He expresses an idea that I love. That is to try to remain the calmest one inside the chaos. he really lived up to that this year. Congrats *opens bottle of non-alcoholic champagne*!

------------------
Taste is the enemy of art.

person of the year?

is this award just a U.S. thing?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
Sorry, but he did not have the greatest impact on the world in 2001.

What a bunch of whimps

If you're saying this because you think Time was too wussy to put ObL on the cover, I think they seriously considered making Hitler the Person Of The Century (last century, that is).

Although he's not a bad choice, I think the NYC firefighters and police should have been voted in. Anybody remember when Earth was the Person of the Year?

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Not always, but usually.
ah, I see
I was wondering because I've only seen Giuliani in the news about 2 times this year

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
person of the year?

is this award just a U.S. thing?

It depends. Time publishes an edition in Canada (I don't know about the rest of the world, or ROW depends wich side your on). It would be weird to see Giuliani on the front page as Person of the Year (painting Canada as the 5Ith USA State).... I admit that Giuliani was a good dealer in all this, but it was mostly for New York, not for the rest of the world (i.e.: outside the USA). So, for the rest of the world I would choose someone like Bin Laden 'cos he had an impact (and to be more precise I would say in the occidental world and in the islamic world, cos I don't think he had an impact for the paysan in Togo...).

Let's say : God and Allah on the front page of an international magazine, shaking hands with the title : "Apparently, they hate each other".

Cheers

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

?Je suis le dernier homme. Contre tous, je me d?fendrai...?
"I am the last man. Against all, I shall defend myself..."
- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

!Hasta la victoria, siempre!

"The one who governs with weapons is clearly poor in ideas". - Subcommandante Marcos

On a mis quelqu'un au monde, on devrait peut-?tre l'?couter / we gave birth to someone, maybe we should listen...

Originally posted by speedracer:
...I think they seriously considered making Hitler the Person Of The Century (last century, that is).

Well, without him the world wouldn?t be like it is now.

I'm not surprised that Rudy got the final vote, but I'm not fully supporting it either. He gave comfort and confidence to a nation when it needed it most. (* I'm sorry Mr. W. Bush, but you don't really clear my head of woes *). At least Rudy seemed like a fairly intellegent guy, who spoke heroically in a time when our nation needed a true leader. It seemed Bush only spoke in small words and even shorter sentences (i.e. "We're gonna get 'em: In reference to Osama Bin Laden).

Above all else, I do not take Time magazine's opinion seriously. That's why I could care less about their thoughts on the matter. I would have considered the person responsible for the attacks, because they more or less killed over 5,500 people and scared the shit out of millions. Then again, Rudy comforted millions...and the last time I checked it takes a greater man to comfort a nation rather than to scare a nation.

Let's face it, there's no WAY Time magazine would name Bin Laden the Person of the Year. They're not crazy! They're trying to sell magazines and the last thing they want to do is appear to be an advocate of "Satan's spawn".

I think the global signifigance of this event is underrated. Certainly by Americans who have yet to realize they are part of a global community...but also by people from all over the world. These attacks were a symbol not so much on democracy or freedom as much as it was an attack on the capitolistic system. I read in the Spin magazine with U2 on the cover (the most recent one of course) that Bono feels that economics and abject poverty are the true cause of these horrible acts. The United States is not the only country that holds the ideals that came under attack that morning. The UK, Germany, France, Japan, most of unified Europe, Canada, etc. all are striving to model their economies and business models after what the United States has managed to accomplish specifically in the last 10 years. Osama Bin Laden claims to be so anti-American precisely for the reason of his witnessing American military might in the his holy homeland of Saudi Arabia. Because of this (a generalization and I cannot expertly speak on his motivation) he has vowed to "destroy America". We must remember that the gulf war was primarily economically motivated. To deny that is to ignore the facts. Also the attacks were on the largest symobol of capitolism known to man. If this had been an attack on freedom or the American ideal, I think that the Statue of Liberty would have made a much better target. I feel that in essence this attack was not so much an attack on America, but an attack on the world marketplace and economy. That is truely the only way to wreak havoc with the world system and the way the balance of power presently sits.

We must also remember that prior to September 11th, the single bloodiest day in which the most Americans lost their lives was at the battle of Antietem in September of 1862. More American's died on September 11th than on any other day in history. More than Pearl Harbor, more than D-Day, more than Gettysburg. This is a history changing event with repercussions most of us will never live to see. I think Guliani is the best choice in a sea of possible candidates. I was reminded very much of Franklin Roosevelt and specifically of Winston Churchill during the Battle of Britain. History will remember Guiliani well I think. Not to mention he could write his ticket for any other future political office is he so desired.

I may be wrong...but its just my opinion

------------------
Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash..Mister!

Osama bin Laden wasn't choosen because he did one thing on one day. He had one moment and that was it. Rudy has been dealing with bin Laden's cowardly act every day since Sept. 11. That's why he got it and bin Laden didn't.

Originally posted by Danospano:

Above all else, I do not take Time magazine's opinion seriously. That's why I could care less about their thoughts on the matter

Danospano.. I do find this somewhat puzzling as it is TIME magazine that is a very liberal.. though not as much as it used to be.. a liberal publishing that agrees with a large large majority of the views that you have posted here on the webboards...

Lemonite: LOL...I will never wholeheartedly agree with any publication, person, or thing. TIME is another magazine and their opinion is no better than yours or mine. That's what I meant.

"Person" of the year is so overrated. It's quite intriguing, however, how, even though the WTC attack was in September--e.g., there were about 8.5 months before that in this year--I don't remember much about what life was like before it. I have a feeling that this is the same with "Time."

Melon

------------------
"Oh no...my brains."

Originally posted by Danospano:
It seemed Bush only spoke in small words and even shorter sentences (i.e. "We're gonna get 'em: In reference to Osama Bin Laden).

The funny thing about this is that small memorable words stick in the heads of the American people, That's what they understand. this is a laymen's terms society, how did Andrew Jackson get elected ... He was the 'common man' president who 'understood the regular life'.. Given that dole was nothing more than a pineapple. how did clinton get elected.. they could talk to the people on a simple level..not a patronizing or insulting level.. but clear and short.

Back
Top Bottom