Giuliani for President, 2008 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2004, 10:29 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:28 PM

Old 09-01-2004, 12:16 AM   #17
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:28 PM
Hillary

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:49 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Mayor Guilani's conduct during and after 9/11 was absolutely exceptional, and I daresay exemplary, at least, thats what the media in Europe always seems to say about it. While Bush has received a great amount of criticism, Guilani really does seem to have been given the kudos when it came to 9/11, and it does appear to me that such are well-deserved. Any man who can half the crime rate in my city gets my vote.

However, philosophically and politically, I don't think I would vote for him for president. As tempting as it is, at the end of the day, everytime he has made a speech concerning the re-election of Bush, I have almost entirely disagreed with him on every issue. I also read his biography, which was informative and lead me to a single conclusion; Great leader, pity he's a Republican.

He's a good example of Churchill's calibre, a man who was awe-inspiring and incredibly effective as a leader for Britain in its most desperate time, but was, unfortunately, a terror when it came to domestic matters. (Not wishing to sound as if I'm demonizing one of our strongest leaders, anyone who doesn't know what Churchill did when there wasn't a war going on should read up on it. I for one don't agree with much of what he did).

Mr. Guilani is cool, and would be a far cry from Mr. Bush, but my vote would go for Clinton.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 09-01-2004, 07:00 AM   #19
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:28 PM
he seems a compassionate and intelligent man to me

I have no idea what he stands for but at least he would get the benefit of the doubt unless he gives reasons why not to
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-04-2004, 09:57 PM   #20
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Mayor Guilani's conduct during and after 9/11 was absolutely exceptional, and I daresay exemplary, at least, thats what the media in Europe always seems to say about it. While Bush has received a great amount of criticism, Guilani really does seem to have been given the kudos when it came to 9/11, and it does appear to me that such are well-deserved. Any man who can half the crime rate in my city gets my vote.

However, philosophically and politically, I don't think I would vote for him for president. As tempting as it is, at the end of the day, everytime he has made a speech concerning the re-election of Bush, I have almost entirely disagreed with him on every issue. I also read his biography, which was informative and lead me to a single conclusion; Great leader, pity he's a Republican.

He's a good example of Churchill's calibre, a man who was awe-inspiring and incredibly effective as a leader for Britain in its most desperate time, but was, unfortunately, a terror when it came to domestic matters. (Not wishing to sound as if I'm demonizing one of our strongest leaders, anyone who doesn't know what Churchill did when there wasn't a war going on should read up on it. I for one don't agree with much of what he did).

Mr. Guilani is cool, and would be a far cry from Mr. Bush, but my vote would go for Clinton.

Ant.
U c, this is the kind of thinking that I don't understand...He'd b a gr8 leader, but 2 bad he's a republican? I can't stand this kind of talk from either the left or the right....if U believe the person would b gr8 in office, vote 4 them...I must drive my local authorities crazy bcuz I can't b pinned down 2 a certain ideology or party. I'll admit I tend 2 have a more conservative view, but if I believed a Democrat would b better, I'd vote 4 them, and I have in the past...

But then again, we're all entitled 2 r opinion....I just wish people were more open minded.

A Giuliani-McCain ticket, regardless of which candidate is Prez candidate, is what I'd like 2 c in '08.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:28 AM
I am really sorry. I really can't take someone serious when they can't even write out full words. You lose any and all credibility in my book.

I mean, I have a ton of respect for those who are from non-english speaking countries who post intelligent things here (and RARELY have problems with grammar)...but when I see someone posting "U c," and "entitled 2 r opinion" and then see that they are from America...I KNOW our country has problems.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
I am really sorry. I really can't take someone serious when they can't even write out full words. You lose any and all credibility in my book.

I mean, I have a ton of respect for those who are from non-english speaking countries who post intelligent things here (and RARELY have problems with grammar)...but when I see someone posting "U c," and "entitled 2 r opinion" and then see that they are from America...I KNOW our country has problems.
I think it takes some practice to abbreviate like that. I'd rather see everything typed out too, but I think it's unfair of you to knock The Disciple's character.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:33 PM   #23
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Just to jump in quickly...

The Disciple: You may find that you are taken more seriously if you take the rest of us seriously enough to compose your posts in standard English. Zoney does make one good point: we have post-ers for whom English is not a first or even a second language, yet their posts are always very readable.

Zoney: Let's not make a big deal about it. The Disciple may spell however he or she likes, and it is unfair to make assumptions about a person's character based on their spelling in a few posts.

Okay, carry on.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:40 PM   #24
New Yorker

As much as we all may like Rudy, the fact remains that he would never get the nomination in the first place. As was evident by the convention, the platform for the party is controlled by conservatives, most of whom are very right-wing and Christian. Rudy is pro-choice, pro-gay marriage so there is no way conservative groups will support him in the primaries. And in NYC, where he was mayor, there are five registered Democrats for every one registered Republican so there would not be much support for him here during the closed primaries and not much support during the actual election. Not to mention that as much as we remember post-9/11 Rudy, an election is going to be vicious when it comes to how he made this city safer including police shootings of unarmed minorities.

and as much as everyone talks about changing the Constitution so Ah-nold can run for president, his pro-choice and pro-gay marriage stance would also be the end for him.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:56 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony

He's a good example of Churchill's calibre, a man who was awe-inspiring and incredibly effective as a leader for Britain in its most desperate time, but was, unfortunately, a terror when it came to domestic matters.
I think I might agree with you, Anthony, but I don't know if I have enough information yet. I lived in NYC during much of Guiliani's term and while he was indeed a far cry from Bush, as well as his predecessor the lame Dinkins, and he was of course amazing during 9/11, I was creeped out last year when I returned to NYC and saw how it had changed. Yes, it appears at first glance to have changed for the better. But I still don't know exactly what happened to all the homeless people, for example. Where did they go? Were they shipped off somewhere else? Are they all in homes now? Do they have jobs? It should have been a pleasant experience to stroll through a squeaky clean Grand Central Station but instead it was oddly disturbing. I don't know...maybe a current New Yorker can fill me in. I haven't really followed NYC politics since I left.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:03 PM   #26
New Yorker

hmm...not sure. I moved here four years ago and live in a regentrified section of Brooklyn. Lots of restaurants and families around, etc. to a neighborhood that was once plagued with crime. There are still homeless, I just have a feeling they were pushed out Manhattan and further into the boroughs along with the poorer people of the city.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:58 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Give me a moderate President dammit! I'll vote for one. Since I really can't vote for a liberal because the Democrats no longer nominate liberals, a moderate is the best we can do. The current President is too right-wing for me.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:47 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
The REAL battle for the presidency starts November 3rd. Giddy up!

this is my absolute worst nightmare... as much as i love rudy is about as much as i despise hill hill
Old 09-05-2004, 06:09 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Totally off topic, headache, but I *love* your sig!
Old 09-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Totally off topic, headache, but I *love* your sig!
me too! its hilarious.