Girl's prom memory is ruined, how sad? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2004, 06:24 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:33 AM
One more thing on this, the girl was from Kentucky, which was not even part of the Confederacy! They were considered a southern state, well, 'border' state, slave states that stayed in the Union (also Missouri, Maryland and Delaware) (Uncle Tom's Cabin was set in Kentucky)

Old 12-23-2004, 06:52 PM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
One more thing on this, the girl was from Kentucky, which was not even part of the Confederacy! They were considered a southern state, well, 'border' state, slave states that stayed in the Union (also Missouri, Maryland and Delaware) (Uncle Tom's Cabin was set in Kentucky)
Then she really does fit the stupid little attention grabbing twit with no fashion sense tag, doesn't she?

Old 12-23-2004, 07:46 PM   #108
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:33 AM
The Union Jack is the pommy flag.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:49 PM   #109
Jesus Online

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page398.asp
Old 12-23-2004, 07:52 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Im confused

PS We have a flag called the Southern Cross as well.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:52 PM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:33 PM
Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves
Old 12-23-2004, 07:57 PM   #112
Jesus Online

the southern cross is the stars beli, the union jack has always been the name of the top corner
or were you confused about something else?
lol
Old 12-23-2004, 08:00 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Lol. no I was thinking of the Eureka southern cross

Yep, the Union Jack is the St Andrews, and the Welsh thingie and the Pomie bit together, hence the Union. I was confused what the Union Jack has to do with the USA.

Or maybe Im just confused
Old 12-23-2004, 10:01 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
my only point on this issue is that she has no right to sue because she KNEW it would cause a problem and she did it anyway. If she is playing the innocent victim here she is a liar because she WANTED to create a stir with her dress.

We talk of free speech but would it be ok for a student of German heritage to wear a dress with a swastika if they claimed that their grand-father fought proudly on the side of the Nazis in WWII? How about a daughter of a KKK member wearing a dress that read " die niggers"?

Free speech is a wonderful thing, but the time and place should be picked carefully. I think the school was absolutely right to do what they did. If her dress was going to cause pain for others and ruin prom for other students than she had absolutely no right to wear it. Like I said, I believe she wanted this all to happen so she could cry "poor me"
Awesome post, I definately agree. Free speech comes with the responsiblity of having common sense. Your example of a German student wearing a swastika isn't much different from how I see this lawsuit. She knew what she was getting into, she even admitted that her dress would offend people. Maybe... she's afraid to be normal?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:43 AM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
You've got a valid point Angela. We can't sanitize the world, we can't get rid of everything ugly or everything that offends us.
Thanks, and exactly. I hope I didn't come across as cold to anyone with my "That's life" comment-believe me, I would love to live in a world where people weren't mean and racism wasn't a problem and all that other good stuff. But unfortunately, as of now, that's not the case, and banishing this stuff, pretending it doesn't exist, silencing those with cruel views, just doesn't solve the problem. Banning things never has solved a problem of any kind. Besides, by giving them the reaction of being upset or offended and all that, you're giving them exactly the reaction they'd hoped for. If you don't let on that it bothers you, they should eventually get bored and stop, because they want a reaction, and if they don't get one, there's no point for them to keep on doing whatever they're doing.

Thanks to you as well, U2Kitten .

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
What bothered me about the original story was basically the damn lawsuit. I think it's stupid. I think she's trying to blame someone else for a problem she created by using such a controversial idea for a prom dress. I really hate it when someone does this.
This I can agree with. Like I said, I wholeheartedly agree that if you're willing to create a heated discussion or event or whatever, you yourself had better be willing to deal with whatever heat comes out of said discussion or event or whatever. And blaming others for things you have done doesn't sit well with me-never has, never will.

Angela
Old 12-24-2004, 06:07 AM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:33 PM
No, I don't think you're being insensitive or whatever, Angela. You're right. We can't get rid of or ban everything that offends some people. If we did we'd end up banning just about everything. I just don't think this girl has a right to sue over this, dammit, she knew it would be terribly offensive to some people. Kentucky is a state with strong feelings on both sides of the Confederate issue as it was a slave state that voted not to secede, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know nearly as much about the Civil War as I should. After all, I live in the state popularly known as "the heart of Dixie". At least I should know why in the hell my state is called that. I know about twentieth century Alabama politics but not nineteenth century, and an awful lot happened.