Girl's prom memory is ruined, how sad? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2004, 07:47 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:50 PM
I am done ranting I don't want to fight go back to making fun of the dress.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:04 PM   #62
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

I believe most slaves were not abused, because it just didn't make sense to damage your own 'property.' You won't get much work out of them then!
Hello owning humans is abuse enough.

Whereas I agree there was more to the civil war than the slave issue, your bias is a little unjust. I grew up in the south, it wasn't as romantic as you paint it. I had a grandfather who was a civil war buff, I know all about it.

We can go around and around all day about the civil war but it comes down to this, one of the main issues for wanting to succeed was owning of slaves, no one can deny that. So those who have their "the South will rise again" bumper stickers and wear there conferate flags are standing proud for the right to succeed from the union. Why in 2004 would one be proud of trying to divide this nation? Why would one be proud that they fought for the right to keep slaves. Why would one want them to "rise up again". Ask someone that and see if they can give you an honest answer. If nothing less it stands for division.

I say if these folks wanted so bad to be detached from this nation then don't take part. Don't vote, I guarantee you we wouldn't have had Bush in office.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:12 PM   #63
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Hello owning humans is abuse enough...

So those who have their "the South will rise again" bumper stickers and wear there conferate flags are standing proud for the right to succeed from the union. Why in 2004 would one be proud of trying to divide this nation? Why would one be proud that they fought for the right to keep slaves. Why would one want them to "rise up again". Ask someone that and see if they can give you an honest answer. If nothing less it stands for division.

My thoughts exactly, actually.

Join Amnesty.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:25 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

They don't KILL property either, it's not good for business. That's another thing, the anti slavery movement was largely spread by "Uncle Tom's Cabin" which told of abuse, but how widespread was it? I believe most slaves were not abused, because it just didn't make sense to damage your own 'property.' You won't get much work out of them then! I believe the same type if asshole who beat his slaves is the same type of ass who beats his wife, kids and dog today. And don't they run away? See? The only slaves who the northerners heard from were the abused ones, the ones who ran away to tell the tale, just like battered women in a shelter today. They may have been very isolated cases, but they were the ones who were heard, there was no 20/20 to go investigate, and the entire south was villianized. While of course slavery was wrong and owning a person is wrong, the abuse was likely exaggerated by activists.
Being owned is abuse enough. Do you really believe what you wrote here? Do you really? I can't honesty believe I am reading this crap. I'm just astonished.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:27 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

And the dress is still scum-suckingly ugly.

Then again, I guess it's entirely appropriate.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:38 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

You buy things, you don't buy people, and a region of people that would buy people and trade people as if they were objects, are beyond what I can describe here without getting thrown out of these forums.

You have to think of why slave owners treated slaves like they were objects. They were racists. It really is that simple. They were ignorant and thought these people were worthless and only good for doing chores, soley because they happened to have black colored skin. That is really what slavery was....one of the most, if not the most, vile excercise of racism in history.

I don't how you could be proud of having that as a heritage. And even if you are proud of it, at least try to improve your fashion sense.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:28 PM   #67
War Child

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Being owned is abuse enough. Do you really believe what you wrote here? Do you really? I can't honesty believe I am reading this crap. I'm just astonished.

That's appalling!
Old 12-22-2004, 10:06 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

What a joke. Why would she even bother wearing that? Settle the lawsuit outside of court and have her become the school slave.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:44 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
What a joke. Why would she even bother wearing that? Settle the lawsuit outside of court and have her become the school slave.
Now there's an idea!
Old 12-23-2004, 12:34 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I've got lots of family who served the confederacy during the civil war. It's true, most southerners did not own slaves and were just defending their land (R.E. Lee). But I see so much ignorance and hatred in my own hometown and others I've visited from here to Georgia that it makes me sick. People from my own high school played an all-black volleyball team. Guess what our crowd brought with them to cheer our backwoods team on? Confederate flags! Isn't that just wonderful? Never saw them when we played other local schools, but get a mile out of Richmond, and it really comes out. It's sickening. While my ancestors may not have been in the civil war for purely racist reasons, most of their descendents with whom I am familiar (most of my family included, some less-so after attending black churches recently and getting some sense put into them) really do harbor strong racist feelings and associate them the flag. The problem is not with the heritage of the flag, but with a lot of the dumbasses who carry them now. My great great great grandfather served in the war... so what? I'm proud of people who stick up for what they believe in, but I don't have to pretend to share or even know those beliefs. Also, the dress is just tacky. It's like this kiosk we have in the mall that sells confederate flag memorbelia. There's a LOT of racist innuendo on those little slogans if you pay attention. Regardless of what one's intent is, too many people have tarnished whatevery symbolic value it may have had with stupidity, so I say let the goddamn flag go.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:17 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Quote:

They don't KILL property either, it's not good for business. That's another thing, the anti slavery movement was largely spread by "Uncle Tom's Cabin" which told of abuse, but how widespread was it? I believe most slaves were not abused, because it just didn't make sense to damage your own 'property.' You won't get much work out of them then! I believe the same type if asshole who beat his slaves is the same type of ass who beats his wife, kids and dog today. And don't they run away? See? The only slaves who the northerners heard from were the abused ones, the ones who ran away to tell the tale, just like battered women in a shelter today. They may have been very isolated cases, but they were the ones who were heard, there was no 20/20 to go investigate, and the entire south was villianized. While of course slavery was wrong and owning a person is wrong, the abuse was likely exaggerated by activists.

wow.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:21 AM   #72
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:50 PM
i still say we burn the dress.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:30 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

yeah...burn baby burn...

Old 12-23-2004, 01:50 AM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 AM
Techically her dress wouldnt burn. Sequins are aluminium and metal isnt combustible.

It would melt though if you crank the furnace up past 600 C
Old 12-23-2004, 01:55 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

well that defeats the purpose...