Girl's prom memory is ruined, how sad? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2004, 06:56 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:10 AM
She will need one some day....

Just preparing myself......

and Angie...for you baby....I would wear it for free!

Old 12-22-2004, 06:56 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Would you say the same for the Swastika flag?
Yes, actually, I would. Once again, it is just a symbol, and can only mean something to those who let it mean something to them. Besides that, just because you use that symbol in something doesn't automatically mean you're supporting what people think that symbol stands for-U2 used swastikas as part of their ZooTV tour, after all.

Free speech means just that-free speech. For anybody. You would have the right to express your disapproval of someone wearing a swastika, and they'd have the right to wear it. And both of you would be expressing your freedom of speech. So long as nobody is getting hurt or killed, you should be free to do or say whatever the heck you want.

Angela

Old 12-22-2004, 06:57 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Shoot why is my little girl huge?
Old 12-22-2004, 06:58 PM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Shoot why is my little girl huge?
I'd say the red dress would go well with her eyes.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:00 PM   #50
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:10 AM
I went to prom twice in high school, and both times I wore a floor-length sleeveless gown. My junior prom I wore a dress in periwinkle blue with a halter-ish neckline (though not ACTUALLY a halter) and a full skirt...for my senior prom, I had this absolutely GORGEOUS dress with double spaghetti straps in a very pale pearl-grey with silver fleur-de-lis type embroidery. And shimmery strappy silver heels.

Sigh. I loved prom so much.

Join Amnesty.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:04 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
Whenever I think of a man in a sparkly dress I think of Divine. Now there was a man

Seriously, Kitty, come back. Please type your thoughts. I want to hear them.
Thanks, but I really don't feel like being jumped on tonight. There is more prejudice against the southerners who fought for that flag than there ever was in the south. Minds are made up and closed and all they can see is the villianization that has occured recently. Even in the 80's you could make a TV show (Niorth and South) and have the southern guy be a nice, sympathetic character. Now they all have to be stupid and evil, and I see that stereotype is prevailant on this forum. What upsets me the most is the comparisons to Nazism! There was genocide in the US in the 19th century, but it was againt the native Americans in the west No one ever mentions that! And those assholed Sherman and Sheridan who were responsible for burning down homes and terrorizing civilians in the south were mainly responsible for the genocide against the Indians! There were also 'human rights abuses' against the southern civilians, including black girls who were raped by Yankee soldiers. Homes were pillaged, belongings stolen, many burned to the ground, even if the owner was not fighting in the war.

Remember too that 75% of all southerners had no slaves and most did not want them. They fought, like Robert E. Lee, because their homeland was invaded.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:05 PM   #52
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Dread
Old 12-22-2004, 07:05 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by beli

I just had a thought. What is this woman going to wear to her wedding one day?
This is when she is going to wear the sheet...
Old 12-22-2004, 07:06 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Mention it now, Kitten. Seriously. Expand on your thoughts. Go for it.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Check my edit, my rant has already started
Old 12-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #56
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:10 PM
usually i'd say guys this is only going to lead to a flame war on pointy hatted folk and ill-treatment of blacks throughout time, but as im not a mod here anymore, i say go for it!

Old 12-22-2004, 07:16 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

The 'pointy hatted folk' did not exist until AFTER the Civil war ended, during reconstruction when the Yankee troops occupied and oppressed the southerners. The Klan (which I do NOT support or agree with) grew out of this. See, before the war, southerners may have felt black people were not equal to them, but they did not HATE them. That came when the Yankees came down and took the southerners' land by running up taxes, giving congressional spots to former slaves, things that made the southerners hate and resent the blacks. That was not good, but what the yanks did was not good either. Ironically, it was because Lincoln died that this happened. He did not want any retribution taken against the South, if he had lived, there would not have been the hard feelings there ended up being. There was also hard feelings between 'yanks' and southerners that lasted into my lifetime. It was a brutal, bitter war, and went much beyond the slave issue no matter what most of you want to believe. Blacks also suffered as a result of all this. The way the slave population was just THROWN OUT to be 'free' after the war led to the tragic poverty of many blacks in the inner cities and the countryside. If slavery had ended a different way it would have been much better on everyone, the former slaves would have been incorporated into society without so much resentment (it was already happening before the war) The saddest thing is, with the coming of farm machinery in the 1880's slavery would have become outmoded and phased out on its own, but the war cost 628,000 American lives on both sides, and countless lives of blacks and whites ruined and disrupted. What a shame it all was.

Remember that only 15% of Southerners fit the plantation stereotype. 10% had a small number of slaves that usually lived in the house and were treated like family. 75% owned NO SLAVES at all. The poor whites were often considered lower down than the slaves of rich white men in some places in the south before the war.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:17 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
usually i'd say guys this is only going to lead to a flame war on pointy hatted folk and ill-treatment of blacks throughout time, but as im not a mod here anymore, i say go for it!

Ha! Nah, we're just going to rip apart a stupid chick, with exceedingly poor fashion sense. No worries here.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:20 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
See, before the war, southerners may have felt black people were not equal to them, but they did not HATE them.
They didn't have to hate them...blacks were owned, doesn't matter if only a small percentage of people owned slaves, most blacks were owned. You don't need to hate property.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:27 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

They didn't have to hate them...blacks were owned, doesn't matter if only a small percentage of people owned slaves, most blacks were owned. You don't need to hate property.
They don't KILL property either, it's not good for business. That's another thing, the anti slavery movement was largely spread by "Uncle Tom's Cabin" which told of abuse, but how widespread was it? I believe most slaves were not abused, because it just didn't make sense to damage your own 'property.' You won't get much work out of them then! I believe the same type if asshole who beat his slaves is the same type of ass who beats his wife, kids and dog today. And don't they run away? See? The only slaves who the northerners heard from were the abused ones, the ones who ran away to tell the tale, just like battered women in a shelter today. They may have been very isolated cases, but they were the ones who were heard, there was no 20/20 to go investigate, and the entire south was villianized. While of course slavery was wrong and owning a person is wrong, the abuse was likely exaggerated by activists.