Girl Scouts being boycotted - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2004, 11:54 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
What is their fear?
Why does this sound like a school-yard bully? If a parent does not support Planned Parenthood (and I assume they have this right), they should be able to withdraw from an organization that supports Planned Parenthood.

Old 03-04-2004, 12:08 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Why does this sound like a school-yard bully? If a parent does not support Planned Parenthood (and I assume they have this right), they should be able to withdraw from an organization that supports Planned Parenthood.
No, no bullying here. Parents have the right to not support Planned Parenthood, they have the right to support or not support anything they want. But why deprive their child from something they obviously thought they enjoyed or benefitted from. The organization is just doing what they feel is best for the girls, the truth is our children are not being educated, and the girl scouts are taking a step to try and prevent that. If these parents are educating their children themselves, good for them. If they think it's the only education they need, they have that right, but what are they accomplishing by boycotting? The girl scouts should go back to not educating the girls? Or just not Planned Parenthood? Maybe an abstinence program?

Old 03-04-2004, 12:25 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:02 PM
I don't think these people live in reality. The whole thing is creepy if you ask me.

The pamphlets talk about masturbation! And homosexuality! Say it ain't so! The sky is falling! Gimme a break.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:27 PM   #19
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
"It embarrassed me to look at it with my husband," said parent Shannon Donaldson
As someone else said, this quote says it all. My mother gave me an illustrated sex ed book when I was 9 years old and went over it page by page with me...I'm sure she was as embarrased as I was but giving me the facts was more important to her than being uncomfortable.

And if I read the story correctly, this sex ed material was not given to any Girl Scouts...it was given out at Planned Parenthood classes for pre-teens, which I'm almost certain would require a parent's permission slip.

You are now going to deprive your daughters from the Girl Scout experience because an affiliated organization is providing kids with information that could prevent pregnancy and STD's? Get your heads out of the sand people!
Old 03-04-2004, 12:38 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 03-04-2004, 12:54 PM   #21
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:02 PM

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:02 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:02 AM
Quote:
This is a parent's job. Is it fair to say that a parent who is pulling their child from the program will handle sex education at home?
Does merely stating the extra-marital sex is a sin even count as sex education?
Old 03-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:02 AM
Why is she embarrassed to look at it with her husband? Where did their daughter come from?

Maybe the parents should go to one of the conferences.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
Does merely stating the extra-marital sex is a sin even count as sex education?
I'm not sure how that, by itself, will help. How can a child understand the concept of extra-marital sex if they don't know what sex is?
Old 03-04-2004, 05:03 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
Why is she embarrassed to look at it with her husband? Where did their daughter come from?

Maybe the parents should go to one of the conferences.
LOL, really!

I agree with the lot of you totally. Yes, it'd be wonderful if parents would teach their children about this stuff. Unfortunately, as pointed out many times in this thread, a lot of parents aren't willing to do so. Geez, these parents are acting insane-like I said, I wonder if they ever had that certain talk with their children? And if that one girl's embarrassed to look at that stuff with her own husband, do we honestly think she's talking to her daughter about sex? No.

So that's why this education continues to be put out in other places, too. There is nothing wrong with being educated about sex. Nothing. And as pointed out, the idea that this will promote sex is insane. I've had this information since upper elementary school. And yet, I have not gone out and slept with anybody.

Angela
Old 03-04-2004, 08:49 PM   #26
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
And the south wonders why it has a bad name. Duh!
There's no need for a blanket comment like this. It reeks of prejudice.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #27
The Fly

I believe that it is the parents responsiblity to teach their children about sex, however I do realize that many fail in this duty. I would be interested in seeing some statistics as to whether these planned parenthood and sex education classes actually are worthwhile in preventing unwanted pregnancies, diseases, etc.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:54 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Re: Girl Scouts being boycotted

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
The Waco-area Girl Scout organization has been putting its name and logo on brochures for the Planned Parenthood sex-education programs but said it does not contribute any money and does not send girls to attend.
So, why exactly is this such a controversy if the Girl Scouts aren't giving money to Planned Parenthood or sending girls to this program? I think a lot of people are overreacting. I'm just glad lots of people were inspired to buy MORE cookies because of this to show their support for Scouting. Girl Scouts rule! (I used to be one - all though high school!)
Old 03-04-2004, 09:01 PM   #29
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by maude
I believe that it is the parents responsiblity to teach their children about sex, however I do realize that many fail in this duty. I would be interested in seeing some statistics as to whether these planned parenthood and sex education classes actually are worthwhile in preventing unwanted pregnancies, diseases, etc.
It's out there. I just haven't the time to find it right now. I do know that abstinence-only programs have not been successful in preventing unwanted pregnancies.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:31 AM   #30
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:

This is a parent's job. Is it fair to say that a parent who is pulling their child from the program will handle sex education at home?
given the reasons as stated in the article I doubt that they will handle sex education at home

seems to me they're even embarassed to mention penis and vagina
let alone the fun you can have with them

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa