Gingrich-Spanish Is The Language Of Living In A Ghetto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I just don't know exactly how to respond to that one, I do know that I can't believe he might run for President and still speak like that.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich equated bilingual education Saturday with "the language of living in a ghetto" and mocked requirements that ballots be printed in multiple languages.

"The government should quit mandating that various documents be printed in any one of 700 languages depending on who randomly shows up" to vote, said Gingrich, who is considering seeking the Republican presidential nomination in 2008. He made the comments in a speech to the National Federation of Republican Women.

"The American people believe English should be the official language of the government. ... We should replace bilingual education with immersion in English so people learn the common language of the country and they learn the language of prosperity, not the language of living in a ghetto," Gingrich said to cheers from the crowd of more than 100.

"Citizenship requires passing a test on American history in English. If that's true, then we do not have to create ballots in any language except English," he said.

Peter Zamora, co-chair of the Washington-based Hispanic Education Coalition, which supports bilingual education, said, "The tone of his comments were very hateful. Spanish is spoken by many individuals who do not live in the ghetto."

He said research has shown "that bilingual education is the best method of teaching English to non-English speakers."

Spanish-speakers, Zamora said, know they need to learn English.

"There's no resistance to learning English, really, among immigrants, among native-born citizens," he said. "Everyone wants to learn English because it's what you need to thrive in this country."

In the past, Gingrich has supported making English the nation's official language. He's also said all American children should learn English and that other languages should be secondary in schools.

In 1995, for example, he said bilingualism poses "long-term dangers to the fabric of our nation" and that "allowing bilingualism to continue to grow is very dangerous."

Bilingual programs teach students reading, arithmetic and other basic skills in their native language so they do not fall behind while mastering English.

On voting, federal law requires districts with large populations of non-English speakers to print ballots in multiple languages.

I don't think Newt Gringrich is a credible candidate for Presidency.

Even the majority of Republicans don't have much time for him.

The guy is not completely stupid.

He does know how to win an election

All he needs is disaffected white Americans to go to the polls.

Throw in a "traditional marriage" diatribe
and perhaps, a "sanctity of life" here

Well, that is red meat for the "values voters".

As smart as he is, perhaps he should have said "barrio"?

But, I guess "ghetto" has more impact with the voters is going after.

Last edited:
I live in an area where many first generation European immigrants are the age of my grandparents. Want to take a guess how many of them know English fluently? Surprisingly few of them. Many of them have a poor command of English, and mainly speak in very broken English. They usually end up communicating in their native language (Italian, in many cases around here) with their adult children who are fully bilingual. Then their grandchildren usually only know English, with some scattered knowledge of the foreign language.

I can't say with absolute certainty that this is the general pattern everywhere in history, but I have a feeling that this will end up being the model for today's Spanish-speaking immigrants. After all, a century ago, America was whining about all the poor European immigrants who were overwhelmingly Catholic and knew no English, and I'd say that we turned out alright in the end.

i live in a Spanish speaking ghetto -- Salvadoreans and Guatemalans -- and while many do not speak English, i really don't care. if someone comes up to me and expects me to speak Spanish, that's really their problem. i do think that if you refuse to learn English you are setting yourself up with a whole bunch of obstacles to financial advancement. but, in my neighborhood, everyone's kid speaks English, so it's really just a matter of time, and i can't help feeling that the strong feeling of resentment comes from the fact that these immigrants are non-European. it's subtly racist, even though the main point -- it's a good idea to learn English -- is a good one.

that said, i think it's profoundly anti-American to have an official language. the culture must remain, to a large extent, DIY. there is no ethnic American, there is no natural American, there is no essential American, there is no language that has risen from the people over the centuries.

in 500 years, everyone in the US might be speaking Mandarin. and i'd be fine with that.

I'm trying to find it on YouTube

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is trying to assuage Latinos over recent comments on bilingual education by delivering a video statement -- in Spanish and English -- in which he concedes his word choice was "poor."

In the statement, posted Wednesday on YouTube, Gingrich said his comments were not an "attack" on Spanish, and he revealed he has been taking Spanish lessons "for some time now."

"I know that my Spanish is not perfect, but I am studying so it will be better," he said.

At no point does Gingrich offer an outright apology in either language.

Gingrich's remarks, particularly his use of the word "ghetto," have drawn fire from Latino groups. While the former speaker did not directly apologize in his statement, he did concede that "my word choice was poor."

"But my point was simply this -- in the United States, it is important to speak the English language well in order to advance and have success," he said. "This is an expression of support for Latinos, not an attack on their language. I have never believed that Spanish is a language of people of low incomes, nor a language without beauty."

Gingrich also said, "It was not my intention to offend the Latino community, and I hope you accept this message in the manner in which it is being conveyed, with a sincere heart."

the ancestors of the italian, irish, german, etc. immigrants to this nation didn't all automaticly learn the language right away, either. many of them never did... but their kids did, and their kids kids did, and now their kids' kids' kids' kids' have a problem with the same thing their ancestors did.

then again, there was a big anti-immigration movement by "natives" in the 1800's, esp. against the irish... who spoke gaelic and took the low paying shit jobs that most didn't want.

the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Irvine511 said:
i live in a Spanish speaking ghetto -- Salvadoreans and Guatemalans -- and while many do not speak English, i really don't care. if someone comes up to me and expects me to speak Spanish, that's really their problem. i do think that if you refuse to learn English you are setting yourself up with a whole bunch of obstacles to financial advancement. but, in my neighborhood, everyone's kid speaks English, so it's really just a matter of time, and i can't help feeling that the strong feeling of resentment comes from the fact that these immigrants are non-European. it's subtly racist, even though the main point -- it's a good idea to learn English -- is a good one.

that said, i think it's profoundly anti-American to have an official language. the culture must remain, to a large extent, DIY. there is no ethnic American, there is no natural American, there is no essential American, there is no language that has risen from the people over the centuries.

in 500 years, everyone in the US might be speaking Mandarin. and i'd be fine with that.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom