Getting nervous......... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2004, 12:13 AM   #46
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:49 PM
I don't think US poilicy should be dictated by other countries.

Old 09-17-2004, 12:17 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:49 PM
I don't think other countries should be dictated by US poilicy.

Old 09-17-2004, 05:09 AM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Here's an interesting column about the polls we get bombarded with every day:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ne...5538561.column

The main point of the column is this:
Quote:
Any editors of newspapers or television news shows who use poll results as a story are beyond gullible. On behalf of the public they profess to serve, they are indolent salesmen of falsehoods.

This is because these political polls are done by telephone. Land-line telephones, as your house phone is called.

The telephone polls do not include cellular phones. There are almost 169 million cell phones being used in America today - 168,900,019 as of Sept. 15, according to the cell phone institute in Washington.

There is no way to poll cell phone users, so it isn't done.

Not one cell phone user has received a call on their cell phone asking them how they plan to vote as of today.
Then again, the column does feature some quotes from Zogby (who is polling all the battleground states), saying he isn't using the telephone for his polling (although he doesn't really say what he does use then). So maybe the polling agencies are using other methods.
But it is an interesting thing to keep in mind, especially since 169 million cell phones is quite a lot (even when 90% of those who have a cell phone also have a land-line then it's still more than 16 million people who are not accounted for with the traditional polling methods).

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-17-2004, 06:51 AM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

and the overwellming majority of those 169 people with cell phones... also have landlines!

i don't believe it!!!

[/sarcasm]

what is the point of this story?
Old 09-17-2004, 06:55 AM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
and the overwellming majority of those 169 people with cell phones... also have landlines!
Do they?
Old 09-17-2004, 07:06 AM   #51
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I don't think other countries should be dictated by US poilicy.
Well other countries are like whores about that... the US can't help it being as "big" as it is.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:41 AM   #52
The Fly

Does anyone here ever watch CNBC or just read the paper altogether. Bush came in right at the tail-end of the highest run the stock market has ever made - reaching about 11,000. That # was nearly split to 6,500 when the tech boom ceased and collapsed, bringing down other sectors with it. To compensate this, firms and companies had to dump jobs. That is just how it is, sad, but true. You complain that he didn't create jobs....people, its impossible to do that when you have an economy that just went through the ringer. IT IS NOT HIS FAULT. He came into the situation and is handling it. If he was elected in 1996 and not 2000, we'd all be singing a different tune due to the .com explosion. Is everyone saying Bush is at fault for the.com bust?

It pisses me off to see mindless drivvle being spoken when people simply say, 'Well, we lost jobs during his term." Really? Enlighten yourselves on why this happened.

And we wouldn't be in such a mess if Clinton did something the first time the Towers got hit in '93. That idiot did NOTHING. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. He could have saved lives if he went after him. He had a 15-minute window to kill Osama about 9 years ago and he didn't. Thank you Mr. Clinton. I hope you were enjoying your hummer at that time. Bush does something and is fighting terrorism and people bash him. Clinton does nothing and pretends everything is fine - let's praise him as we lose 3,000 friends as soon as he leaves office.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:10 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Is this also Clinton's fault?

I.M.F. Says U.S. Debts Threaten World Economy

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Jan. 7 — With its rising budget deficit and ballooning trade imbalance, the United States is running up a foreign debt of such record-breaking proportions that it threatens the financial stability of the global economy, according to a report released Wednesday by the International Monetary Fund.

Prepared by a team of I.M.F. economists, the report sounded a loud alarm about the shaky fiscal foundation of the United States, questioning the wisdom of the Bush administration's tax cuts and warning that large budget deficits pose "significant risks" not just for the United States but for the rest of the world.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:27 AM   #54
The Fly

Well, the International Monetray Fund said something. Excuse me while I bury myself.

This is a non-regulated piece of garbage. "Experts" said it is alarming. Whenever you read anything that says "experts" you should immediately ask questions, like who are these people. And what makes them experts. That didn't raise any red flags for you? Just take it as gospel. Ok, got it.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:58 PM   #55
New Yorker

odowdpa... you make a good point about the dot-com bust and the whole jobs issues. Hell, there are even arguments that the President really has no real "influence" over the economy (which I'm sort of dicey on).

With that said, blaming Clinton for not capturing Osama is little bit much IMO. I don't blame Clinton but I do blame the government as a whole for 9/11. Clinton contributed a little bit just as the CIA did, Bush and his administration did, etc...

Also from what I understand, the deficit is manageable considering the size of the US economy. Hell, I think even Rubin of the Clinton cabinet, concedes that deficit spending may sometimes be alright if there is a recession going on (which there was). I do miss the days of projected surpluses.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

thank you U2dem & Diane L

I ran out of time & money at the netcafe, so I didn't get to the other points you added in- thanks!