George Clooney - Number 1 Neo-Con in Hollywood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Dear George Clooney,

Congratulations on that best supporting actor Oscar you picked up last week. I couldn't be happier for you. Not only because I admire your Cary Grant-esque panache but because I admire your politics. As an advocate of a hawkish but high-minded foreign policy, I can't find much to cheer about in Hollywood, but you, my friend, consistently deliver. Dare I say it--you're the No. 1 neocon in Never Never Land.

Oh, I know you try to hide your real views behind a lot of progressive rhetoric. You've compared George W. Bush to Tony Soprano and warned that he's leading the country down the same road as Nazi Germany. I don't hold it against you; you gotta do what you gotta do in a liberal business. But your movies are what really count, and, no matter what you say, they've made the neocon case.

Even "Syriana," which has been criticized for its America-bashing by a lot of conservatives (myself included), has a neocon message. It's a protest against the influence of Big Oil on U.S. foreign policy. Neocons couldn't agree more. They argue that the policy supported by the oil companies--backing Middle Eastern despots--is leading us to ruin. It only helps create anti-American suicide bombers--as illustrated by "Syriana." The movie suggests that we should be helping liberal Arab reformers, like the fictional Prince Nasir, just as neocons have been urging.

Then there's "The Peacemaker," your terrific 1997 thriller that sought to shake the nation out of its post-Cold War complacency by showing how easily terrorists could smuggle a nuclear bomb into the U.S. Neocons in the 1990s were arguing for a more ruthless anti-terrorist policy. Your character, Lt. Col. Thomas Devoe, didn't let legal niceties stop him from saving New York.

All that is by way of prelude to your 1998 neocon masterpiece, "Three Kings." It showed that the 1991 Gulf War didn't achieve its goals when it left Saddam Hussein in power. Amid frenzied postwar celebrations, your character, Maj. Archie Gates, observes gloomily, "I don't even know what we did here." Neocons like Paul Wolfowitz were saying the same thing; they wanted to oust Hussein from power, not just from Kuwait.
link

Neat article (though obviously all those movies must have been written by a sinister cabal of Zionist writers).

Last edited:
What was the neocon message in Facts Of Life?

So actors' movies always show their political leanings? Uh, OK. You can see what you want to see in anything.

Three Kings was a great movie though:wink:

Sorry I will go back to hiding in the shadows of FYM..i read more of it than take part:reject:

Perhaps this means we use labels too much. "Liberal", "conservative" "neocon", I think they are used too much. I'm liberal on some issues and conservative on some issues. I don't fit neatly into any ideological box. What the hell is George Clooney? Does it really matter?

MrsSpringsteen said:
What was the neocon message in Facts Of Life?

Are you kidding? It was clear that Blair, Tootie, Natalie represented the American way of life, with Jo being the evil foreign influence and Mrs. Garrett was the UN - trying to keep the peace but taking a cut on the side......

:wink:

nbcrusader said:

Are you kidding? It was clear that Blair, Tootie, Natalie represented the American way of life, with Jo being the evil foreign influence and Mrs. Garrett was the UN - trying to keep the peace but taking a cut on the side..

I loved Jo :wink:

It's funny that George was on that show, anyway..sorry-back to the subject :D

Back
Top Bottom