George Clooney - I Am A Liberal, There I Said it - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:00 AM
George Clooney - I Am A Liberal, There I Said it

So what do you think, especially about what he says about the Democrats who voted for the war? When I saw Good Night And Good Luck it felt so relevant to today, I think it's out on DVD this week.

I can dislike being labelled a "liberal" and still stand for the things he's talking about.

huffingtonpost.com

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george...-_b_17119.html

I am a liberal. And I make no apologies for it. Hell, I'm proud of it.

Too many people run away from the label. They whisper it like you'd whisper "I'm a Nazi." Like it's dirty word. But turn away from saying "I'm a liberal" and it's like you're turning away from saying that blacks should be allowed to sit in the front of the bus, that women should be able to vote and get paid the same as a man, that McCarthy was wrong, that Vietnam was a mistake. And that Saddam Hussein had no ties to al-Qaeda and had nothing to do with 9/11.

This is an incredibly polarized time (wonder how that happened?). But I find that, more and more, people are trying to find things we can agree on. And, for me, one of the things we absolutely need to agree on is the idea that we're all allowed to question authority. We have to agree that it's not unpatriotic to hold our leaders accountable and to speak out.

That's one of the things that drew me to making a film about Murrow. When you hear Murrow say, "We mustn't confuse dissent with disloyalty" and "We can't defend freedom at home by deserting it at home," it's like he's commenting on today's headlines.

The fear of been criticized can be paralyzing. Just look at the way so many Democrats caved in the run up to the war. In 2003, a lot of us were saying, where is the link between Saddam and bin Laden? What does Iraq have to do with 9/11? We knew it was bullshit. Which is why it drives me crazy to hear all these Democrats saying, "We were misled." It makes me want to shout, "Fuck you, you weren't misled. You were afraid of being called unpatriotic."

Bottom line: it's not merely our right to question our government, it's our duty. Whatever the consequences. We can't demand freedom of speech then turn around and say, But please don't say bad things about us. You gotta be a grown up and take your hits.

I am a liberal. Fire away.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:00 AM
I am a liberal, there's no hiding that, and I have no shame. Clooney

Old 03-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I am a liberal, there's no hiding that, and I have no shame. Clooney
I didn't think my crush on Mr. Clooney could get any deeper but it has and my admiration for his chutzpah has gone through the roof.

I'm a liberal and damn proud of it!!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Did anyone read any of the comments on the blog? Most are complimentary but here's one...

"Good Night and Good Luck is the theme of the Democratic party as it "progressively" loses support from the American electorate. Why does it continue to lose support from voters? You would think that Democrats would actually begin questioning their platforms and messages. Instead you dimwits continue alienating yourselves by pushing agendas that make no sense. You guys live in a dream world. Fueled by rage, you would sooner label American troops "torturers" than lead our country with pride. The self-loathing retreat and defeat crowd sees the world as half-empty vs. half-full, with America as the root of all that is wrong with the world.

While you make movies that push your agendas, never once admitting that there is not one, NOT ONE example of an individual that was accused by Joe McCarthy, who was not IN FACT a Soviet Spy. Read the Venona papers. Hollywoods obsession with communism, has led it to deny reality.

Yes, you are a liberal...we get it. Do you?"
Old 03-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm a progressive.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:00 AM
who cares what Clooney has to say.....
Old 03-13-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i'm a progressive.

See, liberalism to me means nothing. I agree with the notion of being progressive. Humans progress - it's just what we do.
I kind of get tired of Hollywood and it's "liberalism."
Now, I have no idea what Clooney does to help the world, but I have a feeling it's not that much. "I'm proud to be in Hollywood where we are out of touch," he claimed a week ago. He went on to say that it's good to be out of touch if that means giving a black actress an academy award during the 1930s, blah, blah, blah. What has Hollywood actually done to help the world? That actress played a token black character - way to go you liberal hollywood. Hollywood nominates a gay movie for best picture. "Oooh, we're so liberal; we're progressive cause we nominated a gay movie," is what is essentially said. The actual award goes to "Crash" which is another "liberal" movie right? Nevermind the fact that the movie makes racism out to be something that is experienced in broad, epic sort of way and completly ignores the notion that racism today is very dangerous because of how subtle it is. It's in our language; it's in our mannerisms. And so, people who actually are racist, watch the movie and say "hey, i don't shoot black people or call them n*gers, so I'm not racist."
Hollywood refuses to actually engage in dialogue that is truly progressive. It's a necessary illusion that Hollywood is so out of touch and liberal. It keeps liberals happy (yay! Hollywood is for us) and it keeps conservatives happy (Bill O'Reilly: Liberalism in Hollywood is out of control, they're nominating a gay movie). The acutal issues go untouched.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I'm a liberal and damn proud of it! I live in a *big time* red state, too!
Old 03-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

while anyone who really considers them to be a true liberal or true conservative worries me, i respect clooney 'cause he puts his money where his mouth is, unlike many other celebrity douchebags.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:00 AM
I accept the label liberal. I just don't accept the label Democrat anymore. Clooney made a lot of sense.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:00 AM
I don't accept labels.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I don't accept labels.

sometimes, though, society forces you to live by them and holds you accountable for them, fair or not.

just for what it's worth ...
Old 03-13-2006, 07:24 PM   #13
Acrobat

Clooney knows all.

..Honestly,just cause his dad was a reporter doesn't mean he knows everything about politics.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm tired of all this foreign policy pontification. When some self-described liberal has an idea for how to fix our domestic problems, I'll be all ears. In the meantime, I really could care less.

Melon
Old 03-13-2006, 11:36 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dismantled
who cares what Clooney has to say.....
Why do we care what anyone says? Why is Clooney's position any different from anyone else?

Clooney comes off as a farely informed person. Yes there are some very uninformed celebrities that just rattle off, but they exist on both sides.

I loved what he said at the Oscars about being out of touch...

But the same goes for politicians. I never understood this whole "celebrity's opinions don't matter". Politicians didn't go to a special school that makes them politicians, I'm more educated than a lot of politicians.

If you denounce a celebrity's point of view, just on the fact that they are celebrity, then we might as well not count the majority of votes from the common man. Those votes weigh a lot heavier than Clooney's opinion.

Why do we care about those votes?